“Great day.”

Genuine Fishing in Tenerife
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer a variety of ʻGenuineʻ fishing excursions from a half day 4 hour, or a full day 7 hour trip. On all trips we do a mixture of Game Fish Trolling & Bottom Fishing, approximately half time trolling and half time bottom fishing, depending on what is fishing the best at the time, we use a variety of artificial and dead bait lures on best quality PENN and SHIMANO tackle when trolling for Tunas, Marlin, Wahoo, Dorado, Amberjacks, Barracuda etc, depending on what is in season at the time. The bottom fishing we sometimes do 'Drift Fishingʻ but mostly at anchor, over a specific mark, either the edge of a shelf, or on a line of rock and sand or basically anywhere we see fish showing up on the fish finder screen directly under the boat, it is very precise and effective. We use a mixture of baits, whole fresh caught dead baits on the heavy tackle for Big bottom feeding Flatfish, Snappers, Morays, Amberjacks etc and any big sea bed scavenger species that often take a big bait. Also we use lighter tackle for small to medium fish, and catch the fresh baits for the big rods, like Mackerel,Boga, Herring etc and other good eating fish like Snapper, Sea Bream, Amberjacks, Sea Perch, Trigger fish etc using baited hooks, feathers, artificial baits, just off the sea bed bottom. We practice ‘Catch & Release’ on most fish and any protected species accidentally caught are returned back to the water alive, all Game Billfish like Blue Marlin, White Marlin & Spearfish are always released. We also offer 'Private Charters' and 'Specialist trips' at discounted prices where you can decide want you want to target, we will always advise you as to what is fishing best at the time, as we also want a productive trip. The British owners of the boat and their crew are all fishing enthusiasts with many years experience who know these waters like the back of their hand. We cater for the serious fishermen and are also very willing to teach the novice, set up all the tackle and bait and give any advice and help if needed. Run by Father & Son, Mick and Jack, the Crested Wave has a very well known and respected reputation as a Genuine Fishing excursion. If you are an experienced fisherman you will know nothing is guaranteed when it comes to fishing, but believe us, no boat crew tries harder than the Crested Wave team. We do guarantee you will be very well looked after by the 3 of us, and pride ourselves on our customer service, that is why we are in the top of the reviews and have many regular repeat customers, and is probably the most well known fishing charter boat in Tenerife. Everything is included in the price, no hidden charges! All equipment, tackle, 2 rods each, bait, cold soft drinks, water and beers (food on the 7 hour trip). Full toilet facilities and shade around the whole boat if required. Reservations are normally necessary a few days in advance, but you can always check with us at short notice in case of any cancellations.
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Really good day out. Everything was provided and the crew were very helpful. I will be re booking next time I'm in Tenerife.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We had a great day. The crew is very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. We did not have luck with trolling but the skipper found us a good spot for bottom finishing, where we caught some big stingrays and someone also got a well sized jack. Having sunshields on-board so you are not becoming a fried egg while bottom fishing is a really good detail. Highly recommended.

Mick W, Owner at Genuine Fishing in Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Thank you for your taking a moment to leave your rating and review of us on our TripAdvisor page, we really appreciate it.
Yep sometimes the trolling can be unproductive, but the bottom fishing generally tends to be a bit more consistent.
That being said, we are now coming into tuna season and often have some days where the trolling is 'full-on' and we do not get much of a chance to bottom fish, but that's just the nature of this sport, and whatever is fishing the best at the time we will obviously concentrate more on that style of fishing.
Nice of you to point out about the shade that we put up all around the boat, as when bottom fishing it can get a bit too hot, especially in the summer months, and also we do not want people to suffer from sunburn, and we always remind people to apply sun protection and wear hats.
Thank you for your recommendation and hopefully see you another time,
Kind Regards
Mick and the Crew, 'Crested Wave, Genuine Fishing, Tenerife'

Reviewed 12 August 2017

My husband and I booked a mornings fishing with crested wave we arrived at 8.45 and met by Mick who showed us where the boat was. When we got to the boat we were greeted by Jack and his crew. We were each allocated a fishing line Jack and his crew were very friendly and tried hard to get us to where the fish were it wasn't long before other people were catching tuna my husband and I caught some tuna we also saw whales which were swimming around the boat. The crew kept coming round with drinks. We all caught over 13 tuna between us. We didn't catch anything any bigger but that's fishing we then went and had a go at bottom fishing we were again given a rod each which had bait on them. Jack and the crew did everything they could to help us catch something but we didn't get anything. I would recommend crested wave and will definitely go with them again Thanks Mick, Jack and your team.

Dear Vanessa,
Thank you for your detailed and kind comments, and of course your rating of 5, that's great!
Me and my son Jack, have things pretty much of to a 'T' with our setup and Jack is very good at getting everybody sorted straight away.
We always have the equipment set up and ready before people even board the boat, so no time is wasted and everybody gets the maximum time possible actually fishing.
The other sea life, like the Whales and Dolphins etc are an added bonus when we see them and always goes down well with the people on board so when we see them we get as close as is safely possible and treat everyone to a mini safari of these creatures in their natural habitat, and often in large numbers.
I will show Jack and the crew your comments as they really appreciate it when people recognize their service and efforts.
Kind Regards
Mick, Jack and the Crew

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Booked a half day fishing with family. A bit scared to be honest as we were unsure how the kids will react. The crew was helpful and engaged them straight away! Setting the hooks, asking about everything! They really enjoyed it! Unfortunately the fish decided not to take our baits but the captain didn't give up! He kept trying and trying even 1hour after the end of our normal time! And guess what! We managed to get some tunas! Exiting as we were the only boat around that actually had some luck! Thanks Captain for persisting and giving us a rewarding afternoon!

Dear Chris,
Your review is very helpful as it addresses a common concern among people who are a 'Bit Scared' as you put it to join us on a fishing trip, especially those who have kids with them.
We never go out in bad seas, as it is not fair on customers, especially as we often take many tourists who are just trying fishing for the 1st time and are a bit nervous, but once out they more assured.
I pride our service on it's interaction with the clients and service, sometimes when the fishing is a bit hectic, even though there are 3 of us on the boat, we don't have a lot of time to chat, but we are very experienced and have everybody in our sights, even if it's out the corner of our eyes whilst attending to another person.
And also if the fishing is slow, we may busy ourselves on getting things going by trying other things, but generally we don't miss anything or ignore anybody.
The extra time we gave at the end just goes to prove that, as you said it was a bit slow so we stayed that hour longer to try our best to give people a positive result, which obviously worked with catching the tunas.
Thank you again for your kind comments,
Mick and the crew of Crested Wave, Fishing, Tenerife.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We booked a half day fishing trip for myself and my boyfriend. We prepaid nearly a month before we came on holidays and we're very excited for the fishing trip with crested wave. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with the overall experience. We do a lot of fishing and understand that it's fishing not catching. we were not annoyed that no one had any bites that's just fishing for you. However we we're not happy with the staff as they barely spoke to anyone on the boat and spent most of the trip talking amongst themselves in Spanish. For example they didn't even tell us there names. They didn't explain the rigs they were using, types of fish we could expect to catch or even to tell us that they were heading back to port. We were told quite rudely to take up our lines (Spanish deckhand shouting at me "up up up" with no explanation that are time was finished) they were the last words they spoke other than a goodbye when getting off the boat. Also the boat was very overcrowded with 10 people fishing, we were told that each person would get 2 rods each however this was not the case. I was shocked and very disappointed as crested wave has such good reviews on trip adviser. Maybe we caught them on a bad day.

Mick W, Owner at Genuine Fishing in Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear Leona,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we appreciate everybody's opinion.
I know this reply is a bit slow in coming but I have been so busy the past month that today has been one of the 1st opportunities for me and I am doing multiple replies.
I appreciate your realistic comment about 'Fishing is not Catching' which any angler will agree with, and as happened on your trip.
I did get straight onto my son who was skipper the day you went on the boat as soon as I read your negative review and questioned him about it the trip he told me he did address everyone as normal and definitely did not ignore people and as far as he can remember it was all OK apart from the poor catch result.
As for my son talking Spanish to the crew, that is because they are Spanish and the only way he can communicate clearly with them, as I do when I am Skippering the boat, and most of the time they are discussing the job in hand, obviously they will have personal chats as well as they work together 6 days a week and when they converse it will obviously be in Spanish, also when the fishing is slow we have to work harder and my son may have had his eyes fixed on the fishinder screen most of the time, not wanting to miss any chances, that's just a guess but often happens.
We do not make a big thing out of giving all our names out to the clients as normally its not an issue, neither are we secretive about them, if somebody was to ask our names then we would tell them, no problem, what we do do is go through the beginning of every trip in the morning when people are on the back of the boat explaining what we will be doing, normally the first part of the trip game fish trolling and then stopping the boat to do the bottom fishing, then on the afternoon trip we normally do the bottom fishing 1st where we would have left the anchor from the mornings trip and fish the bottom there as the mornings trip we would have baited up the bottom area on the morning trip and it often pays off using the same mark, unless it is particularly bad on the 1st trip, in that case we will reset on another mark.
As for not explaining the names of the rigs etc, that is not normally necessary either, basically the anglers and ourselves just want to get on with the fishing, we definitely explain how to fish with them though because if we just gave the rods to the customers and let them get on with it, it would be a disaster for us as many of our clients are 1st timers and would just get the reels in a big tangle and make a lot more work for us, all I can imagine is you just did not hear my son explaining how to set the baits down, in English, to everybody, or perhaps just some misunderstanding.
Honestly Leona, we pride ourselves on our customer care, it's our family business and our only source of income here so we know how important everyone of our customers are.
Sorry if you thought that the other 2 crew members were rude to you, but English is not there strongest attribute, it's there fishing and boat skills I employ them for and I can only suppose that my son had instructed them to tell everyone to wind up as the fishing time was over, he would probably have been on the other side or end of the boat telling the other customers the same thing; that being said they are friendly to all our clients as well and I am constantly complimented on there helpfulness.
Our boat maximum is 10 anglers, even though we are licensed for 12, I voluntarily cut the numbers to 10 max, which is quite unusual as we also have places for spectators included in the ten and often a full boat may consist of ie, 6+4, 7+3, 8+2 fishing and spectators or any combination that does not exceed 10 in total, also we go often out with a minimum of 4, 5, 6 etc.
There are other boats here that take the full 12 and do not have a walk around 'Boston Deck' like we have which gives plenty of room for all, and on the trolling fishing everybody has an individual rod each, even if we are full.
The accessible total fishing deck space on my boat is the biggest here, some other boats that are the same length as us often have people fishing at the front on a raised deck with a low rail, which is uncomfortable and dangerous and in fact against the law, as when I had my boat fitted with the front rails I was instructed by the marine engineer inspectors it had to be a legal minimum of 1 meter high, which mine is.
That also explains where you may have been some confusion, as what we mean when we say everybody has 2 rods each , means that when you are doing the game fish trolling each person is assigned an individual rod for the whole duration, on many boats they may only put out 5-6 rods and either share them or give you a number to wait your turn, which I think is not fair, also even if we only have 3,4,5 people fishing I will still put the full spread out and people can share the extra rods, no problem.
Then when we are doing the bottom fishing the same thing applies, everybody has a rod each, so that's what is meant by 2 rods each 1 for the trolling and 1 for the bottom fishing; also it would be physically impossible to hold 2 rods each at any one time.
I will re-word my online reply so as to make that clear, but to be honest it's the 1st time I have had anyone bring it up, but this is why customer feedback is important and I do listen to people and if I think anything needs changing I will do so.
As for the last comment about 'Catching us on a bad day', that's a fair enough guess as everyone has personal good or bad days, but I have brought my son up and drilled into the crew to treat all the customers with respect all of the time, no matter what problems they may have personally, and do not have an attitude with the customers, it's 2nd nature to us.
Sorry again that you did not enjoy your time with us, but I hope some of what I have written may clarify a few things.
Kindest Regards
Mick,
Owner of Crested Wave, Genuine Fishing.