“The locals say it is the best open air cinema in Europe and they might be right”

Open Air Cinema Kamari
Ranked #1 of 4 Fun & Games in Kamari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The OPEN AIR CINEMA KAMARI (Cinekamari) is located at the entrance to Kamari town on the main road to Fira town with a bus station just across the cinema entrance. Open from May until October.Entrance fee is 8 euro.Full bar with cocktails (try our strawberry Daiquiri and Mojito!), Local beer and wine, refreshments, ice cream and snacks. Movies are in English version with Greek subtitles.Doors open 20.30 And the movie starts 21.30 In 2012 the TRAVEL CHANNEL in 2014 THE GUARDIAN.UK and in 2015 CNN Travel channel announced the OPEN AIR CINEMA KAMARI as one of the 10 best open air cinemas worldwide.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 June 2018

It is a great venue and a once in a lifetime experience. We enjoyed watching Tomb Raider on the big screen. You can purchase tasty snacks and drinks. It is a great experience that many locals told us about. We really enjoyed going to this local favorite hot spot. I recommend going early to get a good spot.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 145)
All reviews
"relaxing evening"
in 10 reviews

74 - 78 of 1 145 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

This was a great little experience,
The reason I gave it such a low review, is because the cinema opens at 8:30pm it takes an hour for the film to start and then they added adverts and an intermission so most of the time is spend waiting. I was disappointed as it ate the entire night, leaving us feeling unfulfilled.
The drinks are below average, i ordered a mojito and it was basically mint water with sugar in it.
Aside form the negative , the staff were very friendly, they had a great little cinema with great little hints of perfection, such as a picturesque lit up fish pool next to the bar, they also burnt incense at the entrance and bar which made the experience so much better.

Bottom Line:
Don't go for the cocktails.
Make sure you have lunch or dinner before you go , unless your happy with popcorn or hotdog.
Don't make any other plans for that night.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely cinematic experience here.
It definitely is quite unique and fun way to see a movie.
It made me remember how special it was to see a movie when I was younger.

Cinema shows the movie in English with Greek subtitles.

If it gets chilly at night, they have blankets available.

It is a good idea to go here on a night when you are going to be staying in kamari as the busses stop at around 10 which means you have to either walk or take a taxi.

cinekamari, Owner at Open Air Cinema Kamari, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Thank you for this review. From mid June until mid September, buses run until late after the movie is finished. Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We visited here one evening during our holiday. Although the film showing, Tomb Raider, was not one we’d normally go and see, we wanted to experience the open air cinema. It was a great venue with a cute little bar and an intermission in the middle of the film. Do take a shawl or cardigan as it gets very cool and although they have blankets available, there weren’t enough to go around.

1  Thank WendyFisher69
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Was staying in Kamari and I'd heard that a few of my friends had visited here so I wanted to try it out and so glad I did.

Was a bit out of the way so a little walk to get to it and I wasn't quite sure what to expect, it's larger than I expected in there - I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for entry and the cocktails were nice - lovely frozen strawberry daiquiris.

The film had a really good picture and it felt really cosy to be able to sit outside watching a film while the weather was still warm enough - the film was also really good, we were there when Adrift was on and everyone seemed to enjoy their experience.

I would go again if I was ever in Kamari, something a bit different to do on a holiday abroad.

1  Thank bethg2812