Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Tierfontein
Baardskeerdersbos, South Africa

Good but could easily be better

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 07 May 2017
When I arrived I immediately was taken with the decor and old world charm of the lounge and dining area. The hosts were not there and reading other reviews, I was sorry as I think they certainly sound as though they are an integral part of the charm and character of the place, George however did his best to check me in. My room was sweet but tiny, luckily I was travelling alone on this trip! The four poster beds and victorian baths are great but the linings of the curtains were shredded and I kept having to step over my suitcase to get to the bath area. I opted to go out for supper as some of the other guests were very noisy in the lounge area, I wondered if this would happen if the owners were there. I did not stay for the self- serve breakfast in the morning but did have a lovely wander through the beautiful garden with a cup of tea, the pool area looks beautiful for summer and I loved the massive tree in the front yard. I am not sure I would recommend this to couples looking for a romantic getaway (not that quiet and private) perhaps more business travellers, it is also close to the beach but has no view and if there is a path for a walk to the beach I did'nt see it and there is a vacant fenced in abandoned lot in front of you.
Date of stay: May 2017
Room Tip: Do not take room 1, room 2 seemed much bigger
Trip type: Travelled on business
3.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
3.0 of 5 bubblesService
4.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
, Owner at Goblin's Creek Manor House, responded to this review
Responded 06 Jun 2017
Dear most, valued guest, firstly may I thank you for your kind revue, and secondly may I apologise for your unfortunate experience, and yes most of our guests take our FIRST and MOST important house rule quite literally which is as you know, to "Make yourselves at Home" and I guess, "when the cats away the mice play". You will be happy to know we were on a much-needed buying trip to Cape Town to get material for curtains, cushions and mattresses for our daybeds in the gardens. You should see your bedroom now, with its stunning ceiling to floor opulent rich gold velvet curtains, it makes a huge difference to the room. On your next trip try any of our other rooms which are all bigger than Sun Rise Surprise which you booked, they are ideally suited to couples wanting a romantic break away, all having fire places and ball & claw baths in the rooms. Unfortunately, the vacant land in front of us is part of a big estate and will one day have houses on, which is sad, but unless we win the lotto, we can’t stop change. We hope to see you soon as we would love to show you a new perspective to the romantic Goblins Creek. Kindest regards Brett & Rosi
R 980
    R 1 960
  • ZenHotels.com
12.5 km from Goblin's Creek Manor House
View more hotels in St. Helena Bay
All reviews home away from home get away an animal lover communal kitchen enjoyed our stay felt very much at home blue crane braai area awesome stay enjoyed every moment warm hospitality super hosts beautiful place hidden gem animals accommodation antiques
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

My husband and I spent a night here after attending AfrikaBurn and absolutely loved this place. The hosts, Brett & Rosie are animal rescuers so there are plenty of animals around. Even a little skunk named Petal. There is also a treehouse and other little hideaways around the property. Our bed was super comfortable, hot shower, good internet, coffee. Loved the hosts and the experience, highly recommend.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank missrondared
Management response:Responded 6 June 2017

Hi Guys, thank you so much for your stunning revue, don’t think we paid you enough, haha.
So very glad that we could be a part in making your African adventure a more memorable one, it was a pleasure meeting you both and would love to see you again when you next return to South Africa, by then we should have the “Goblin Wildlife Sanctuary” up and running, with lots of new little beasties to befriend. Lol to you both, Brett and Rosi

Reviewed 20 April 2017

From the moment the host, Brett, greeted us warmly to the time we left, we thoroughly enjoyed this charming guest house. The room we were allocated was wonderful, clean and nicely decorated with it own private garden and tiny koi pond. We were comfortable and cosy and stayed for two nights.

Brett gave us great tips and travel advice, also directing us to really good eateries in the area.

Date of stay: April 2017
Management response:Responded 6 June 2017

Dear Rochelle and Nick, thank you for your awesome revue. We have just redone your room Ethnic Splendour, and it has a whole new look, more “Opulent” with thick Golden velvet curtains to go with the “new” olde world paintings and artefacts that we collected, it rarely makes you think that you have stepped back in time. Hope you can both make it up this winter so that you can enjoy a romantic bedroom picnic, with a good bottle of red wine in front of a roaring fireplace. Best wishes, Brett and Rosi

Reviewed 17 April 2017

Peaceful and tranquil, old worldly charm with it's four poster beds and Victorian style baths. You could hear the ocean at night. Great place for a beak away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Our hosts Brett and Rosi were warm and welcoming.

Date of stay: April 2017
Management response:Responded 6 June 2017

Thank you so much Isabel, it is always such a pleasure to have guest like you guys, it makes what we do so much more worthwhile. Hoping to see you soon for our famous winter bedroom picnics, where you can lay in the bath in front of a roaring fire, sip red wine, nibble on delicacy’s and generally spoil each other, and later relax with a good book or even just gaze out at the stars. Lots of warm wishes Brett and Rosi

Reviewed 3 April 2017

Good day..my stay there was not all that I axpected. The house was not that clean and there was dust everywhere. My room was not even cleaned everyday. You guys also state self catering but in garden cottage there is nothing to help you cater yourself.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Management response:Responded 6 June 2017

Dear Bianca, thank you for taking the time to respond. I am also sorry that we did not meet with your expectations. Please bear in mind that we have extremely windy weather from November to April and no matter how much you dust, the sand from the beach keeps on coming! The rooms are serviced each day, meaning beds made and bathrooms cleaned, we do however, not pack away your personal belongings or packing away your items that you have chucked under your bed. Self-catering as it states quite clearly on all our booking sites means, that you have the complete use and all the utensils therein of our large farm style kitchen (provided you respect the other guests, and clean up after yourself) I am at a loss as to what you expected in your room, a kitchen? Although the garden cottages are provided with a mini bar fridge for your convenience. May I suggest that in future when booking a trip away you make sure that the establishment has everything that you are looking for, either by looking at the descriptions on the web site or if that is not adequate then giving the establishment a call. Regards Brett & Rosi

Reviewed 20 March 2017

This property needs a full fumigation and house keeping is dire we woke to find the bed and ourselves
Infested with ants the kitchen area was used to prepare animal feed the sinks where filled with filthy dishes and the place smelled terrible avoid this property with all odds we asked to leave after one night and the owner refused to refund us one nights rate the owner became aggressive because of our remarks

Date of stay: March 2017
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Rosi255, Owner at Goblin's Creek Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

Dear Christine, it is always our policy to turn a negative into a positive, as i am sure all people in the hotel industry do. We bend over backwards for our guests and are taught never to answer a guest back in anger, however with you i will make an exception. You and your wimp of a husband are most probably the worst guests that we have ever had the misfortune to meet. You complained about everyone and everything from the moment you arrived. The ants on your bed were dumped unceremoniously by yourself from a saucer full of crumbs that you had been eating outside, this was witnessed by one of the housekeeping staff and reported back to me. As for the dishes, we run a self catering establishment and the filthy dishes in the sink were your own....did you expect us to wash them after you? The smell....you and your husband were the only other guests using the kitchen! Any intelligent person reading your nasty revue only need scroll through all our other revues to make up their own minds about our wonderful establishment, trusting that you or anybody closely connected to you never ever visits us again.