All reviews gallery restaurant afternoon tea garden room scones chatsworth estate cream tea standard room four poster bed romantic break main restaurant this lovely hotel halibut the kitchen fresh milk in the fridge eggs benedict peak district course dinner
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Chosen totally at random as a place to stay half way between Newcastle and our home on the south coast. We could not have been more fortunate. I did upgrade to a Superior room and very pleased we did. The room was huge, with a gorgeous view of Chatsworth, which was unexpected. Loads of space for luggage and spreading out without tripping over every thing. The room was well equipped with large comfortable bed, sofa, table chairs along with a very functional bathroom albeit on the small side for the size of room. The bath is huge and the rain shower powerful - couldn't ask for more. bottled water and biscuits refreshed each day.

The service we received was friendly and prompt without being too fussy and formal. What impressed about this hotel was that it looked as if everything was new, all furniture was immaculate even in the public areas. The decoration was lovely and perfectly maintained, not a scuff or a paint chip anywhere. Whilst we dined at the nearby(1km) Fischer's (see separate review) on the first night we dined in on the second night as well as breakfast and lunch. Really enjoyable and plenty of choice for me (gluten free and dairy free), one pleasant surprise was that they prepared porridge to order and made it with water, shame they didn't soak it overnight however but it was a good healthy option for breakfast.

Whilst owned by the Devonshire's we hadn't expected it to be so close approx 2-3km walk across the field and then onto the estate track.

This is an expensive hotel, a little over priced perhaps as it is not perfect but if quiet relaxation, in a pet free environment surrounded by lovely countryside with great service there is no need to look elsewhere. I great benefit of the price of the hotel rooms is that it keeps the children away, adding to the peace.

We visited mid- Oct and the hotel was very hot inside, whilst it was 20 degrees outside the age of the building should've meant a coolness, however it was uncomfortably hot indoors (especially in the dining areas) and that was without the heating being on. Thankfully we were able to open the lovely sash windows and had a fan to use on the bedroom.

We will return on another journey north-south or south-north.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GFrankers
Cavendish_GM, General Manager at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Many thanks for the feedback and for choosing the Cavendish in which to stay. Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Wonderful hotel. Yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for. I had a superior room with an amazing four poster bed, dual aspect windows and a lovely view of the Chatsworth estate. The room was perfectly appointed including a well stocked mini bar, cold fresh milk for tea (no UHT!), a wireless charging point for phones next to the bed (and with more a more traditional power cable). One slightly annoying niggle was that the mini bar was not automatically re-stocked. I think you need to phone reception to ask for this which I couldn’t be bothered to do.

There was even a DVD player in my room - I may have brought some with me if I had known. Bathroom was beautifully designed with generous toiletries - that you actually use rather than the random toiletries often supplied.

I didn’t eat at the restaurant which is maybe where some of the less positive reviews come from so can’t comment on this. I did have breakfast here and one of the days it was very slow. Food is cooked to order and very nice, but from sitting down to receiving hot food a wait of nearly an hour is a little much. Service sometimes bordered on the obsequiousness but strangely before ordering there was quick explanation that there might be a bit of a wait but nothing more. The kitchen obviously struggled. Admittedly this was the experience on the Sunday morning. Saturday’s breakfast ran much more smoothly.

Given the cost of staying here this should probably be looked at. I was on holiday so I didn’t mind and l loved that breakfast was served til 12pm.

The reception staff were wonderful in a down to earth friendly way.

Based on the room alone all I can say is that I didn’t want to leave and would move in tomorrow!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo

Many thanks for the feedback, very pleased you enjoyed the room & Cavendish overall.

Apologies for the slow service at breakfast; we do cook every item to order, as opposed to the ubiquitous 'hot' buffet, which can have an adverse affect at busy times. Work in progress!

Reviewed 12 October 2018

A group of us stayed overnight while in the area for an event held nearby. The room was very comfortable & pleasant with glorious views. We couldn't open either of the sash windows but a porter was soon sent to sort the problem out. Breakfast was a little disappointing, we all decided to have the buffet breakfast but nobody actually asked us which option we wanted until we had almost finished, so I guess that if we had opted for cooked dishes to follow, there would have been a fair wait. We had to request more butter as only one small piece had been put on the table for 4 of us. One of our group wanted the berry compote but there was none left in the serving bowl, she asked for some but was told there was no more available that day (this was at 9.30 & breakfast was available until 12 noon). Overall, not worth the price.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your feedback. Sorry to lean of our shortcomings, which I shall be discussing with my team, but I am grateful for you having brought them to our attention.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

This was our third visit to the Cavendish, last year we had twonights in the hotel, which was wonderful. My wife likes the afternoon tea which has always been lovely until this year, we asked to sit in the garden room as the main room was having maintenance done. The garden room table cloths weren’t clean and the floor had spilt food on it. When the food arrived the quantity and quality wasn’t the same as our two previous visits. The sandwiches were dissapoimtinh, egg mayo, cheese savoury, ham and a smoked salmon, lacking the wow factor of the previous two visits.
I seldom give a review of less than five stars but this ones getting a three, it should have been better.
No we won’t be returning to the Cavendish it isn’t good enough.
I have close to 90000 readers on TripAdvisor, I am not someone who complains.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank trevort249
Cavendish_GM, General Manager at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear Trevor

Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry we were unable to offer you the Gallery Restaurant, we had an emergency which had to be attended to and left us with no option other than close the Restaurant to allow the work to be done.
I would appreciate an opportunity to learn a little more from you in relation to the Afternoon Tea itself, perhaps you might contact me directly at the Hotel.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Excellent room in the newly renovated coach house. First class bathroom with walk in shower. Good storage space and Nespresso machine. A minor niggle would be that some of he furniture was too large for room.
The restaurants were another story and the hotel really needs to get a good chef. The Gallery restaurant was supposed to be fine dining, but is was anything but. one of our starters was pigeon breast which was tough and difficult to chew. When we complained the waiter suggested if he'd known he could have brought us a sharper knife!!!!!. Main course of Halibut was dry and over cooked with no sauce. This was sent back and the replacement was an improvement. Several adjacent tables also complained about their food
The next night unable to face it again we tried the Garden Room, a Bistro style restaurant. This time the starter of Buratta was like a rubber ball, just out of the fridge. when we complained to the waiter, he said that the chef liked to do "quirky" things and didn't conventional cooking. I don't know how that explains the state of the Buratta

Room Tip: Coach house very good but it does involve braving the elements to get to the main building. With gales and rain this isn't very good
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jostan99

Dear Jostan

Thank you for staying at the Cavendish - glad you enjoyed the Coach House.
Your feedback is much appreciated and I will be discussing your comments with the kitchen team.