“Your time is better spent elsewhere”

The Macallan Distillery
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Aberlour
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Macallan has been getting all sorts of glowing reviews recently for their brand new campus and distillery tour. We just saw it in June-2018 (brand new!), and weren't impressed.

Don't get me wrong, the campus and the distillery itself are INCREDIBLE. Gorgeous, modern, lovely thing to see.

But the tour itself felt a lot like Disney World. All show and no substance. It was hard to hear, the tour guide didn't seem very knowledgable as compared to other tours we'd been on, and some of the things on the tour were utterly over-the-top ridiculous. Using sound waves to hold a drop of water in the air for no reason at all? Ummm... OK then.

The whisky is good, and the campus is gorgeous. But if you're on the fence about visiting this distillery, I'd recommend almost anywhere else.

1  Thank Steven B
Macallan1824, Visitor Experience Manager at The Macallan Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Steven B,

Thank you for taking the time following your recent visit to The Macallan to write your review.

It is great to hear that the distillery is "INCREDIBLE. Gorgeous, modern, lovely thing to see".

I am disappointed to hear that the tour didn't reach your expectations. We believe that all of our staff are very knowledgeable and passionate about The Macallan, so I am sorry that this was not reflected during your visit.

I hope to welcome you back to The Macallan and that we can improve your impression of our tour experience.

Thank you again for your review.

All reviews
"worth the trip"
in 6 reviews
"state of the art"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"an excellent job"
"trip to scotland"
in 6 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 4 reviews
"whisky tasting at the end"
"single malt"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is a mind blowing experience and one of the finest visitor atttactions in Scotland. The new distillery oozes quality and attention to detail and the staff are knowledgeable and professional. The tour is effectively free as the whisky drams on offer at the end of the tour cost far more than the price of the tour itself! To all those whingeing about the new distillery not being folksy and crafty - what did you expect? There are plenty of others to choose from. This is one of the world’s leading luxury brands and the distillery reflects that. All the other distillery owners in Scotland suddenly look very last century. It is truly amazing.

1  Thank PerthRaw

Dear PerthRaw,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely five star review following your recent visit to The Macallan.

I am delighted to hear that you found our distillery to be "one of the finest visitor attractions in Scotland". I am also particularly pleased to hear that the "staff are knowledgeable and professional".

I hope to welcome you back to The Macallan again soon and thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have visited many distilleries in Scotland and this is the grand daddy of them all. It was like being in a star wars moving set. The combination of architecture and chemical engineering is stunning. Add to that vista views from the glass frontage and clear education/interactive pieces and this is a 'must do' for those remotely interested in Whisky. I especially liked the fact that the tasting started with new make spirit (others dont do that) and you got to stand, alone, with casks slowly maturing before you left.
I would say that the signage to park, identify the entrance and where to exit needs to be cleared up and its not clear where you can buy the whisky within the centre... but overall totally stunning.

Dear Craig H,

It is great to read the title of your review; "WOW!", and that you found our tour to be a "must do" for any one interested in whisky.

Regarding signage, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are looking into this.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to the distillery again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited the brand new "visitor experience" center when it had only been open 1-1/2 weeks. Our jaws dropped when we walked through the doors to see the display wall of whisky. The visitor center is huge, sleek, and impressive. The structure itself is built partly into the hillside and its undulating turf roof mimics the surrounding hills. There was a lot of thought put into the design and anyone interested in construction or architecture will eat it up.
Staff was very helpful and attentive.
The tour was excellent and very marketing savvy. Theater lights lit the production tanks and updated technology was integrated in the displays covered on the tour.
The after-tour tasting allowed for sampling the main product line as well as a small task of one of the rare cask whiskies.
This was the most elaborate and technological whisky tour we took on our entire 2-week trip.

1  Thank glkenny

Dear glkenny,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful five star review following your recent experience of The Macallan.

I am delighted to hear that you thought our "visitor centre is huge, sleek and impressive", and that the team were "very helpful and attentive".
I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your kind review, and I hope to welcome you back to the distillery again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As I cycled down the road approaching the distillery the ear to ear grin that stayed with me for the experience began to take shape.

After settling my bike against the designated area and catching my breath for twenty minutes I set off up the path towards what can only be described as the shire but way cooler. As soon as I stepped into the main foyer the grin was in full lock. Choosing what to look at first was the most and only stressful part of the experience, from the minimalistic shop to the incredible brand wall featuring an array of The Macallan's many bottlings from over the years. The shop staff were approachable yet not invasive. Even before my tour began I was considering how to write a review to do it justice.

My tour started at 13:30 on the dot as we were greeted by Linda, from the get go it was clear that our enjoyment and experience was her number one goal. Throughout the comprehensive tour of not just the distillery but the history as well Linda continually kept the information engaging and relevant, always happy to answer questions and give more time to those who required it.

There was a real sense of preservation within the distillery and staff. Whether or not the process and layout is that of a conventional distillery does not matter, the passion of staff is no doubt reflective of workers back in 1824.

At the end of the tour we enjoyed a flight of 4 great whiskies including some more expensive stock. The end of the tasting marks the end of the tour but not the experience. The bar offers a range of different expressions to try and even a selection of cocktails. With this there is access to a gallery showing the building of the distillery.

From start to finish my time at The Macallan was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. For anyone who thinks the distillery is ahead of its time... it is. You better catch up.

Dear Angus B,

It is great to read such detailed and positive comments regarding your experience with us. It is particularly wonderful to hear that Linda's tour was engaging, relevant and that "our enjoyment and experience was her number one goal". Linda is a real asset to our team, with a great wealth of knowledge in both tour guiding and the whisky industry.
Another wonderful comment is that "the passion of staff is no doubt reflective of workers back in 1824". I will be sure to share your kind words with Linda and the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your kind review, and I hope to welcome you back to The Macallan again soon.