Open today: 09:30 - 18:00
Review Highlights
First Whisky Tour Ever

Wow! This Distillery is so impressive! What a privilege it was for this to be our first whisky... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Goldi411
Omaha, Nebraska
via mobile
Great tour

I took some friends from England to this distillery because of a BBC news item. It was amazing... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Tim R
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews pillars tour our tour guide visitor center whisky making great tour new building under construction state of the art taste testing space age book in advance worth the trip whole process highly recommend this tour high end trip to scotland car park
Reviewed 26 June 2018

We have visited many distilleries in Scotland and this is the grand daddy of them all. It was like being in a star wars moving set. The combination of architecture and chemical engineering is stunning. Add to that vista views from the glass frontage and clear education/interactive pieces and this is a 'must do' for those remotely interested in Whisky. I especially liked the fact that the tasting started with new make spirit (others dont do that) and you got to stand, alone, with casks slowly maturing before you left.
I would say that the signage to park, identify the entrance and where to exit needs to be cleared up and its not clear where you can buy the whisky within the centre... but overall totally stunning.

Macallan1824, Visitor Experience Manager at The Macallan Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Craig H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely five star review following your recent visit to The Macallan.

It is great to read the title of your review; "WOW!", and that you found our tour to be a "must do" for any one interested in whisky.

Regarding signage, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are looking into this.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to the distillery again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We visited the brand new "visitor experience" center when it had only been open 1-1/2 weeks. Our jaws dropped when we walked through the doors to see the display wall of whisky. The visitor center is huge, sleek, and impressive. The structure itself is built partly into the hillside and its undulating turf roof mimics the surrounding hills. There was a lot of thought put into the design and anyone interested in construction or architecture will eat it up.
Staff was very helpful and attentive.
The tour was excellent and very marketing savvy. Theater lights lit the production tanks and updated technology was integrated in the displays covered on the tour.
The after-tour tasting allowed for sampling the main product line as well as a small task of one of the rare cask whiskies.
This was the most elaborate and technological whisky tour we took on our entire 2-week trip.

1  Thank glkenny
Macallan1824, Visitor Experience Manager at The Macallan Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear glkenny,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful five star review following your recent experience of The Macallan.

I am delighted to hear that you thought our "visitor centre is huge, sleek and impressive", and that the team were "very helpful and attentive".
I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your kind review, and I hope to welcome you back to the distillery again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

As I cycled down the road approaching the distillery the ear to ear grin that stayed with me for the experience began to take shape.

After settling my bike against the designated area and catching my breath for twenty minutes I set off up the path towards what can only be described as the shire but way cooler. As soon as I stepped into the main foyer the grin was in full lock. Choosing what to look at first was the most and only stressful part of the experience, from the minimalistic shop to the incredible brand wall featuring an array of The Macallan's many bottlings from over the years. The shop staff were approachable yet not invasive. Even before my tour began I was considering how to write a review to do it justice.

My tour started at 13:30 on the dot as we were greeted by Linda, from the get go it was clear that our enjoyment and experience was her number one goal. Throughout the comprehensive tour of not just the distillery but the history as well Linda continually kept the information engaging and relevant, always happy to answer questions and give more time to those who required it.

There was a real sense of preservation within the distillery and staff. Whether or not the process and layout is that of a conventional distillery does not matter, the passion of staff is no doubt reflective of workers back in 1824.

At the end of the tour we enjoyed a flight of 4 great whiskies including some more expensive stock. The end of the tasting marks the end of the tour but not the experience. The bar offers a range of different expressions to try and even a selection of cocktails. With this there is access to a gallery showing the building of the distillery.

From start to finish my time at The Macallan was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. For anyone who thinks the distillery is ahead of its time... it is. You better catch up.

Dear Angus B,

It is great to read such detailed and positive comments regarding your experience with us. It is particularly wonderful to hear that Linda's tour was engaging, relevant and that "our enjoyment and experience was her number one goal". Linda is a real asset to our team, with a great wealth of knowledge in both tour guiding and the whisky industry.
Another wonderful comment is that "the passion of staff is no doubt reflective of workers back in 1824". I will be sure to share your kind words with Linda and the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your kind review, and I hope to welcome you back to The Macallan again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Had really looked forward to the distillery tour with my dad who has always been a huge Macallan fan. Arrived a bit early and had a look around at the very impressive building that awaits and you get the sense something very different it happening here.

Our tour was led by Chloe who was very knowledgeable and friendly and took us stage by stage through the distillery with lots of interactive and state of the art elements to the tour. My only disappointment was the tasting, by the time we sat down and led through the whiskies I quickly realised being a fan and being a driver meant no whisky for me and none to take home and this was hugely disappointing for me. Lucky for my dad who got all of mine! Unlike other distilleries there was no driver pack or small cups to take your dram home and this felt a waste seeing as out of our group most the whisky was left behind. This was my only disappointment and hope this is maybe looked in to.

The building and distillery is very impressive and cannot be compared to smaller traditional distilleries as its totally different but a great day out with something totally different!

Always book to avoid disappointment!

1  Thank Beachtoday24

Dear Beachtoday24,

Thank you for writing your review following your recent visit to The Macallan.

I am delighted to hear that enjoyed your tour with Chloe, and that you found the distillery to be "very impressive". Chloe is a huge asset to our team, and it is great that she was able to share a lot of her knowledge with you.

We do take on board your comments regarding driver packs and we are currently looking into this.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to The Macallan again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Awesome scale to this state of the art new visitor attraction and distillery.

If you're after the romance of whisky making you are not going to get it here.

What you will get is an amazing experience of what whisky making is going to look like in the future. For the largest distilleries anyway.

The staff were great and a particular mention to our guide Sam and a passionate discussion about our drams from the personable Rafa.

Great value for money and if you're not even into whisky a must see.

Dear Aaron P,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Macallan distillery following your recent visit.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your tour and you found it to be an "amazing experience".
Both Sam and Rafa have a great natural passion for the whisky industry, particularly The Macallan and I am delighted that they were able to share this with you.