There were positive aspects. The house was in a spectacular spot. We loved the stream/walks/tranquil environment and the bath at the top of the hill. However, to be frank we were quite surprised at the condition of the place for the cost incurred. Listed below are the problems/issues with the accommodation
1) When we arrived there was a strong, unpleasant smell in the house. This was due to the fridge being closed (not held open with a tea towel or such as necessary) We attempted to clean it (not a nice task, especially after a long drive late at night) but the smell was still too strong to put our food in it until the next day.
3) Broken door in lounge room-off its rails-very heavy (impossible to lift open and closed for children)
4) No flyscreens on any doors/windows. Impossible to leave the house open without MANY insects (including heaps of mosquitoes) coming in.
5) Many broken items both inside and outside house-including 4 torches-none of which were working (terrible when the power goes out), cricket bats, cue stick, cracked glasses and bowls, lounge chairs.
6) Most of the bowls/pots we used needed to be cleaned before using. Left over food and residue on them from previous guests
7) Cistern on toilet is faulty. Occasionally would flush but often not and would need to dismantle cistern to flush toilet.
8)We had no idea that the hot water cooled down overnight (this is not stated on the instructions). We needed to leave at 11am on departure day and this was not sufficient time for water to heat up and thus needed to have cold showers on a chilly morning.
If the house had been budget accommodation, we would have been far more accepting of these issues. However we paid $AU450 for two nights and we expected the place to be free of these issues. We have no problem being in an off the grid environment-the problems described are not related to this but to a general lack of upkeep and cleaning.
Whilst we loved the area, we were pretty disappointed by the accommodation's standard for the $ spent and would not recommend it to others.
NB After our stay (and before this writing this review), we emailed the owner regarding the issues above. We received no response.