“Ancient Fort”

Fortezza di Montecarlo
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Friends live in Montecarlo and took us to meet Walter. He had the Fort open and we were able to tour the interesting fort and take in the views from the top. It's a must see!

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

When my husband and I began planning our trip to Tuscany, one thing was certain. We wanted to visit a castle. We visited Fortezza di Montecarlo as part of our Discover Lucca with Elena wine tour.

This beautiful fortress sits atop a terraced hillside next to Montecarlo. The family who own it have taken pains to restore parts of the structure.

Our guide, Elena Benvenuti, has so much knowledge of this place. Her appreciation of and excitement for history shine even on a cloudy day! We briefly met the fortress owner, who offered us a glimpse at the Nativity his family was assembling for the holiday. He was welcoming even as he went about his daily business.

My husband and I walked away from the fortress with a new interest in Italian history. A visit to the fortress does require much walking, hill climbing, and stair climbing. This could be a challenge for those who are not normally very active. But, my, the views are worth it!

1  Thank christylsmith1
Fortezza D, Proprietario at Fortezza di Montecarlo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Dear "Christylsmith1" family,
Many thanks for your detailed and appreciative comments. I am very glad you had the opportunity to appreciate the beauty and the history of the Fortress. Certainly this was also possible due to your excellent guide, Elena, who is very knowledgeable about our Fortess. I am very sorry I could not spare some time with you. I hope to see you again during your next trip to Italy.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

My stay in Montecarlo di Tuscany would not have been completed if we hadn't stumbled in to the Castle..... Our hosts had recomended it, offered to ring the owner to open up for us but we didn't think we had enough time. As we walked by the castel I saw it was open so we took a peek inside and instantly decided to MAKE time to explore it. The owner is a delightfull man, he told us about the Castles uniqe history with pride and then he stepped back to let us enjoy it in our own time. The Kids loved it... running around the garden with imaginary swords fighting off intruders. It only takes about 30-50 minutes to walk through( depending on the amount of pretending to be a knight or a maiden in destress).

After being in Cinque Terre, Pisa and Lucca this little town of Montecarlo and its Castle are the highligts of our trip!! And the best part.... nobody is trying to sell you fake Rolexes here or overcharge you for your meal!! The people here are lovely❤️

2  Thank HuldaBE
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

We visited when staying in a nearby agriturismo. This town is nice to spend a few hours walking around. You can see some old city walls and a church. Some nice opportunities to have a coffee or diner.

1  Thank Hans C