All reviews night safari whole experience game reserve tented camp morning drive safari experience great experience early morning land rover from start to finish schotia safaris highlight of our trip no electricity end of the day great safari animals including our tour guide
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

I’ve been before but in 2004 with friends. I came back this year (2018) with my 9yr old that wants to be a game keeper/zoo keeper.
We arrived late (30mins) due to flights times but Schotia were most accommodating.
Charl (our guide) introduced himself, a ploite man with with great personal & communication skills.
Our tour consisted of an afternoon drive, evening tea, night drive, overnight stay & early morning drive with Charl. He gave an exstensive over-view of Schotia, it’s animals, their plans & were they’ve come from.
Charl had an amazing knowledge of all the animals inc big 5, the big/little 5 & everything in between.
The park isn’t the biggest but that makes it a lot better, it still takes a good hr to drive from one side to the other but then that’s not taking into consideration all the routes available, the trucks they use are complete off-road land rovers/toyotas and don’t get stuck.
We saw everything we needed to see and more.
Charl is a passionate game keeper/driver of the Eastern Cape who was born in the area and only want the best for his area. He welcomes all questions & advise.
We couldn’t of asked for more from any either the guides, staff, cooks and especially Charl.
100% recommend.

Paul & Alfie
(Dad & lad)
Massive animal tourist world wide.
Blackpool, UK

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2018

Booked the 2N/3D tour and stay of Schotia, Addo and Raggy sea tour. unfortunately on arrival were informed that our sea tour/whale watching was cancelled due to weather 3 days in advance of the trip. Disappointing start, we ended up just going to PE and doing the tour on our own. Schotia was a great place to stay and see the most animals on our list up close. Tour of Addo felt rushed. Meals in the lappa were good and plentiful standard fair.

Room tip: Stay in the converted dairy.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We were staying in South Africa and booked Schotia mainly because it was the only place we found that accepted our children aged 4 and 2. If I’m honest before we went I didn’t really know what to expect and certainly didn’t think it would be the highlight of our trip. I was worried that it was expensive but i didnt check other places so I’m not sure how it compares. We let me tell you this- I would pay the money again and again. Yes I accept other people’s criticism that you can see the fencing however we had two young children and this meant we were guaranteed to see at least some of the big 5 animals. These animals are wild though and all living alongside each other.
From start to finish it was fantastic. Check in was swift, and then our land rover was brilliant - we loved the off roaring element too. We saw loads of animals including a lion eating a giraffe carcass we were so close we could hear him crunching the bones! I was terrified but our guide was amazing and kept us safe! Apart from the animals I found it fascinating to learn about the ecology of the park I’ve learnt so much. My children haven’t stopped talking about it and my parents said it was the best experience. We did the overnight safari and stayed in warthog and springbuck lodge. This was my favourite stay in the whole of our 3 weeks on SA. I wish I had more time to use the bath and it’s a good job I didn’t see the size of the spiders until I was leaving- there was one on the patio! Food in the lapa was delicious and so cosy- my kids loved the frogs in the tree. We’re planning a return to SA and were thinking of a bigger safari but were not sure anything can exceed our time here. If you definitely want an amazing tour ask for Charl- I’m sure all the guides are fab but he was brilliant especially with our kids!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank evanes2340
Reviewed 19 July 2018

Excellent 2 night stay. We did the tooth and claw and Addo park tour. From the beginning every was fantastic. This includes all your food and drink, you will not go hungry, from the Snack Break/Dinner/Breakfast/Lunch/Snack break again + the snacks in your room that are replaced each morning. The area where you have breakfast and dinner is awesome, campfire around the middle were you have drinks until your called for dinner.

Our tour Guide Donovon was fantastic. He answered all our questions (which ended up being a lot by the end of the 2 days). Hearing the Lions roar at night is amazing. We first seen the lions at night which was both amazing and scary. We had ample opportunity to see the animals from before breakfast drive(optional) day and then night time drive. We seen everything from Rhinos/Lions/Hippos/Giraffe/Elephants/Croc/Warthog/antelope and so much more.

Our tour to Addo park was also great, our guide Zach was super and has so much knowledge of the animals.

We loved the whole experience.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLeeson
Reviewed 2 July 2018

Visited Schotia with my wife, my son and his partner for the " 2night with Addo" package, 27th & 28th June. Our accommodation was in the tented camp which we chose specifically to try and replicate the feeling of being truly on Safari. We were not disappointed, it was magical.
Our guide was Dale and we were lucky enough to have his undivided attention for the duration of our stay. Dale was brilliant, his manner, humour and knowledge were outstanding.
As for the park itself, yes it is small in comparison to its neighbour Addo national Elephant Park but it still felt huge. Never once in two days did we feel that we were going over old ground and, finding the animals on occasions did take some doing, adding to the feeling of space. Also the scenery is outstanding.
In terms of the animals, we saw all that Schotia had to offer, which is considerable and took some doing in two days. we were able to spend time at each encounter and never felt rushed. We also got some quality up close and personal time with many of the animals including the Lions, Hippos, Elephants and Rhinos. In fact we were sharply reminded that they are wild animals when the male Rhino had a little charge at the truck. Very exciting. Furthermore, the animals all look extremely healthy,strong and free, which was important to us.
With regard to the accommodation in the tented camp, that was just brilliant if not a little scary at times. Isolated deep within the park in that area where the Lions and Rhinos roam, it is just a wonderful experience. There is no electric, just oil lamps. There is a gas stove to make a drink and a gas heater for the cold nights (particularly helpful at this time of year, it was very cold at night) but not a lot else, and that was the appeal of the place. The toilet and shower facilities are amazing, particularly the view from the toilet???? Let your imagination wonder?? I would recommend anyone thinking of visiting Schotia to consider the Tented camp, you will not be disappointed.
the food on offer was very good, plentiful and hot, which was just what was needed on the cold evenings. The location in which meals were served, The Lapa, is just wonderful. In addition there were a number of drink / snack stops during the day, which kept you going as well. All in all, excellent.
In fact, the whole process with Schotia has been first class from 1st enquiries, to booking and delivery, very professional and very friendly. I am trying to find something to criticise but i genuinely can't.
But it is all about the animal encounters at the end of the day, and they were just magical, without feeling we were intruding too much on the animals space.
Final word must go to our guide Dale, his love for his job and his love of the animals shone through and made our experience unbelievable good.
Thank you Dale and Schotia for the experience of a lifetime.

Date of stay: June 2018