“Great Place - But Know Before You Go”
other travellers have booked this property
my sweet home Sparrow Nest Corbett my childern
inside kitchen Vegitable
flowering
Modern bathroom
Ramesh Suyal naturalist Corbett National park india
wildlife tour which we mange for people.
Rangoli made by Mrs Asha Suyal
Rangoli on Diwali festive time
Piyush and Parth Suyal
sofa with table
King Size bed room
comfortable bed
welcome sign
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 29 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
bradymac2...
“Great Place - But Know Before You Go”
Reviewed 5 December 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We really enjoyed our time here. Ramesh was a very kind host and an even better guide. I knew for the most part what we were getting into because I read many reviews, but I have summarized everything below.

Getting There: Ramesh hired a tuktuk driver to take us from the train station and back. No tip needed, no hassle. It was very nice not having to worry about that!

The Family: Ramesh and his family are all very kind. I don't think his wife spoke English, but his daughter did and sometimes spoke to us. It was neat as a foreigner to interact with a local family and get a tiny bit acquainted with the culture.

The Room: Very clean and well put together. There is a large bed, seating for two, a table, AC, and a fan. There is a cabinet with extra pillows and blankets, and the bathroom was clean with towels. This is a homestay, not a hotel, so don't expect daily cleanings. If you needed something, I am sure they would be happy to accommodate.
There is NO TV and NO WiFi. We knew that going in. It was very hot when we went, so activities were limited. We spent a lot of time in our room, so WiFi would have been nice, but we had cards and other things to keep us occupied. We did come out of the room a couple of times just to visit, but we felt like we more got in the way.

The Meals: Being Americans, Indian food was quite a challenge to get used to. This was our last stop in India and from our experience we could certainly tell that Ramesh's wife is an EXCELLENT cook. I had requested non-veg food, and really only one of our meals was non-veg, so that was a little disappointing - but great tasting nonetheless.
We were hoping that we would eat with his family, but oddly they would eat, she would cook again, and then we would be called out to eat. I am sure that there are people that want to eat separately, but again, we were hoping for a little more experience in the culture.
Ramesh would hang around after dinner in the evening and visit with us. He is very pleasant and has great stories about life and his safari experiences.

The Area: It's not close to town so you can't really walk to any shops or anything. It was really hot so we didn't venture far anyways. We did walk some and interacted with some of the locals. A couple of the kids could say "Hello" and "What is your name?" but otherwise we couldn't really communicate. We had fun though trying to sign things with our hands.

The Jeep Safaris: Ramesh is an EXCELLENT guide. If you are staying here, you have no business booking anyone else. When we would see guides on other jeeps it was clear ours was the best. He spotted things that would take people many many years and a trained, skilled eye to spot. He knew a lot about the wildlife and loved to share. We did not get to see a tiger, but we did see several tracks and a lot of other wildlife (deer, monitor lizard, monkeys, elephants, birds, snake, etc etc)

The Elephant Safari: The parts of the park that offer elephant safaris were closed due to monsoon season, so Ramesh set us up with an elephant safari outside of the park, closer to a town. I highly DO NOT recommend this. We did see tiger tracks, deer, birds, and a jackal, but the driver of the elephant was very abusive and hit her hard with both a wooden and metal stick to get her to do what he wanted. It made us very uncomfortable the whole ride. This wasn't Ramesh's fault, but it was not a good experience. Also half the ride is getting through the town to the forest and back.

Ramesh: He was very easy to work with. He even booked all of our train tickets (for a fee) for us because I was having so much trouble with it due to the verification requirements of the Indian Railway website. He speaks English very well, and answered all of my questions promptly when we were planning the trip.
We visited Delhi, Jaipur, Jaisalmer, and Agra in addition to Ramnagar, our last stop. Many people tried to lie to us, scam us, and take advantage of us just because they assumed we had money. We never had to worry about Ramesh's intentions. His integrity is very strong and I would happily work with him again. We are very grateful for his honesty in his business dealings.

Pros: Nice room, great food, great family and guide, and overall wonderful experience (even though we didn't get to see our tiger!)
Cons: No WiFi, not enough non-veg food, and the elephant safari (not blaming that on Ramesh though)

Overall, I highly recommend it as long as you are okay with the room situation. Either way, try to hire Ramesh as your guide. He is well worth it!

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Pratikshy...
“The Best Way To Experience Corbett”
Reviewed 5 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016

I spent 2 days and a night at Sparrows Nest with the family. Mr Ramesh is one of the most respected guides and I was not disappointed by his stories of the jungle. The food was simple and really tasty. Something about the pure air of the area coupled with fresh ingredients made me eat twice my normal appetite! The bathroom was spotless and cleaned every day. The linens were fresh and bed was super comfortable.

Best part about any homestay are the conversations. Loved talking to the whole family. They were polite and really helpful. In one of the meal, when I mentioned having eaten a local delicacy years ago, the same dish was ready for my dinner. Such thoughtfulness is what makes these homestays memorable. Just remember that you are staying at someone's home and you will have a brilliant time.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The family and their attention to detail.
Liked least: No complaints whatsoever.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 18-24
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
ShrutiP25...
“Incredible hospitality, lovely family and amazing food”
Reviewed 4 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

I spent 2 days and a night at Sparrows Nest with Mr Ramesh and his lovely family.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable, and I had running hot water throughout the day. Mr Ramesh's wife cooks delicious hot food with fresh produce from their kitchen garden. She also served refreshing hot tea multiple times a day.
Mr Ramesh is a reputed and experienced naturalist, and has many wonderful stories to share. His wife and children are incredibly polite and hospitable, and made me feel very much at home.
Please keep in mind that you are a guest in their home. I found this to be a wonderful experience and am glad I didn't stay at a hotel or resort.

RavindraK...
“Not for 2-3 day vacationer”
Reviewed 21 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

This is the FIRST time we stayed as Homestay. I booked this place after reading reviews. I feel like I should have given more attention to the kind of travellers who are writing the reviews. I believe such kind of homestay is not good for traveller who are staying for 3 days.

I booked from Tripadvisor and paid electronically. But the host did not receive the money in his account. Whatever is the reason, host is still contacting me and I truly hope that he gets his money from Tripadvisor. Because of this situation, host was constantly in a bind – whether he will get his money. I showed him my confirmation of payment but that was of no use to him. This may have been the reason for not taking any efforts as for as service is concerned.

The rooms: Two rooms are at the same level where the host family lives. There is no privacy. The rooms were clean on day 1, but host did not clean it till we vacated, not even sweeped. The towels were clean, but host did not replace the towels in 3 days.

Food: The host family did not serve any food, though it is part of homestay. Host served tea in morning with cookies. There was no breakfast. Host asked if kids will eat Maggie, and then made Maggie for our kids one day. Toasted bread was served on another day, that too by asking if we want it. Hence we decided to eat outside for all meals.

Basically, it was like - we are supposed to roam on our own and come back just for sleeping. Though Mr Ramesh was helpful in the safari booking. As a person, he seems nice person.

Summary: If you are going to Jim Corbett National Park for 3-4 days vacation, I will not recommend such homestay. It’s better to book a hotel/resort and at least expect some aminities and service.

Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Nothing
Liked least: No Service.. bad experience.
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
16 Dec 2016
Dear Mr. Ravindra Kalantari,

First and foremost, I am sorry that you did not have an ideal experience while staying with us at our homestay. That being said, I would like to personally address all of your concerns.

1) Our Homestay was newly added to Trip Advisor rental and yours was our first booking. Of course, there is no fault of yours in that. You did your due process. On our end though, we did not receive the amount you transferred, and neither did we receive any confirmation email from Trip Advisor. Even after following up with their Customer Care executives several times, they were not able to help us, and that is the reason we decided to trouble you for the confirmation and details etc. That being said, we can assure you that money or no money in our account, we would never ever let that affect our endeavours in serving you to the best of our abilities.

2) Rooms: Ours is a homestay. We live there too, and we're sorry you felt like you did not have enough privacy, though nowhere have we advertised or mentioned that you would be getting a private floor or a private area for your rooms.

3) Cleaning: You've mentioned that we did not clean the room even once. Sir, you would leave early in the morning at 5 am, and come back late in the evening, and the rooms were locked and the keys were with you. Just like in a hotel, if you let housekeeping come when you're gone, then they let themselves in. Otherwise, when you're back from your day out, you call them and ask to clean when you're around. We operate the same way, Sir. If you would have left the key with us, you would have come back to a clean room. However, we understand that you would not like to leave all of your belongings unattended, so you took your key with you. But when you came back, if you would have asked for room cleaning, of course we would have done it for you - no two ways about it! Same for the towels, Sir. Most guests bring their own towels, and do not ask for change of towels for as long as they're staying with us. Some use all our towels in one day, and ask for a fresh batch every few hours. But we operate on request. If you would have asked for more towels, as soon as you were done with the first batch, we would have delivered the same to your rooms immediately.

4) Sir, the package that you booked with us was a Breakfast-only package not the All Meals plan. And unlike hotel, we do not cook food in bulk and throw away what does not get consumed. That is why we asked you before preparing anything. Also, Sir, the breakfasts are very early in the morning (5 am), since after that you have to leave for the Safari. Most people do not like eating anything heavy so early in the morning, and that is why we always ask before preparing anything. I am sincerely sorry if you felt like the breakfast was not up to par, but it is the same thing that my children eat too. Maggi, Tea, Coffee, Toast, Chocolate Bread Toast, Cookies etc. is what our kids eat too, and we asked if we could prepare these things for you because you were traveling with children too. Once again, I understand that the Breakfast made you unhappy, and for that I am sorry.

5) Safaris: You mentioned that maybe we lacked in service because we did not get our money. Sir, the Forest Office takes Safari Bookings 45 days in advance, no exceptions. Still, we went out of our way to ensure that we could secure last minute bookings for you and your family, and registered the Gypsy to enter the Park for the days you were there.

I understand that you had a less-than-ideal stay with us, and for that I am sorry, Sir. But we assure you, our intentions were to provide you with the best possible experience during your visit to Corbett.

Thanks and regards,
Mr. Ramesh Suyal
Tigers in Corbett
kesolive...
Bourg Saint Maurice, France
“Great place to stay ! Fully recommend +++”
Reviewed 10 November 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

We chose to stay in Sparrow's Nest because we had read good reviews and our email contact with Ramesh was friendly and reassuring. We were definitely not disappointed !
As teachers on an exchange trip, we could only stay, unfortunately, for a day and two nights as we were not on holiday, only on a weekend out of Delhi. Our train was delayed and we arrived really late but Ramesh and Asha were waiting for us with a welcoming smile and a hot meal !
Our experience in the homestay was one of those that you don't often get to have in your life...Ramesh is a genuinely kind person, obviously devoted to his job, we really enjoyed chatting with him about Jim Corbett, about animals and about his work. The safari was an unforgettable adventure, Ramesh is extremely knowledgable and observant, we enjoyed every minute !
The homestay is well-kept and welcoming, our room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. As for the food... well, Asha's cooking is simply divine, with home grown vegetables and such a variety of flavours. Sandra had never liked chai before she tasted Asha's ! We also met Rarmesh and Asha's children who were very polite and we enjoyed chatting to one of his sons.
Ramesh has a lot of sustainable projects, not only for animal protection but also to help develop his village and improve the life of its inhabitants. We were very impressed and give his projects our full support !
If you plan on going to Jim Corbett, go to Sparrow's Nest, you will not be disappointed I promise. We feel really quite nostalgic about our stay there and wish we could have stayed longer.
So hope we'll be able to go back some day !!! Thank you Ramesh !
Keri and Sandra

Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: l'accueil chaleureux
Liked least: Rien, on a tout aimé
Travelling group: Avec mes amis
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing