“A Hidden and Unexpected Gem in Agropoli”
Review of Il Buttero

Il Buttero
Ranked #32 of 154 Restaurants in Agropoli
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2018

We were on our way from Avellino to Maratea with stops at Tenuta Vannulo (Best Mozzarela di Bufala) and Paestum (Best Greek ruins this side of Greece) and a recommendation in hand from an Agropolio local to dine at a restaurant that turned out to be closed on Monday. We asked the front desk of the hotel adjacent to the closed restaurant where to eat; she recommended Il Buttero. We are so happy she did!

There were only two tables occupied when we arrived at 1pm - the restaurant was beautifully set up and we were immediately seated at a perfect table for 6. Our waiter - who also cooks and serves a mean steak - was fantastic. He walked us through the day's specials and took our order. Our first course - of grilled local vegetables - was mouth watering. For our second course, we had 4 different kinds of pasta - each was unique and excellent. Of note were the "Half (Mezzi) Bacherri with Shrimp (Gamberi) - notable not only for the taste but the shrimp were hiding in each half of the the pasta - a lot of work and attention to detail made this a special treat. After which left us all remarking on how good things were, we watched our waiter cook up the biggest steak I've seen in Southern Italy. When I said it looked like a steak Florentine, he explained that the beef used is unique to their restaurant and showed us the end result - dinner for two at least!

I noted a couple of older reviews skewered the service at Il Buttero - and my last review of Salvatore in Ravello - highlighted the negative effect of service on excellent food and ambiance. In our case, our service was impeccable and our waiter could not have been nicer or more gracious. Not only did he take the time to show us the steak and explain its significance, when he brought the bill, he had given us a 7% discount on our bill - rounding our Euro 107 bill for six including a bottle of red wine and a half bottle of white down to Euro 100.

It was an amazing Monday lunch and provide my highest recommendation for Il Buttero.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Myself and my husband went there for my 60th birthday. As we entered the restaurant three waiters were chatting among themselves and completely ignored us whilst we stood feeling quite awkward and like unwelcome guests. Eventually one of them deigned to show us to a table where we then waited another 10 to 15 minutes for menus to be presented. Admittedly we're not too hot on Italian and struggled over the menu for some time whilst the waiter stood waiting with no attempt to offer any assistance whatsoever. Some 25 minutes later the main courses arrived which amounted to a steak sitting on a plateful of lettuce. As we were leaving we spoke to a waitress at the desk about items on the menu only to be informed that there was an English menu - which hadn't been even offered to us by the rather grim faced waiter who served us!

Considering the prices charged - over 50 euros for 2 for 2 courses - I would have expected better service and a bit of effort put into the main course at least.

We noted that there were mainly locals dining there so came to the conclusion that they already have a regular local clientele so perhaps don't feel the need to be bothered with tourists.

I would certainly not recommend Il Buttero for service or value for money.

Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

I had the pleasure of dining there with family a few years ago. I've come back with new family and absolutely HAD to get their pizza again! The best pizza I've ever eaten. Definitely get the antipasto appetizer too!!!

Reviewed 8 November 2016

I think the locals think tourists will like this place for some reason. We had had lots of recommendations to try but when we did, we wished we hadn't. It's very expensive for what it is and the food is really not that good. We had some smoked mozarella as part of a starter platter (we ordered one between us but the waiter just brought us 2 anyway) and it was the worst thing either of us has ever eaten. My husband loves smoked cheese and he said it was vile.
Sorry Il Buttero, bad choice there.
The waiter was particularly rude too. I know, we should make the effort to learn the language, but if you're in a service industry, expecting tourists, you also have to make some of the effort. The staff here were more distracted by the hideous game show they had on on the TV in the restaurant. Yep, they have a massive TV in the restaurant. They also showed The Simpsons. Fail

Reviewed 11 May 2016

The food was good. There were lots of locals there. The TV was on which was distracting. It was ironic that the Godfather was on TV and seemed to be in every room itself! My partner had a caprese and fried shrimp and calamari. The wine list was good. Moderately priced.