“Peaceful”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Frangipani house

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

carmel558
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Peaceful”
Reviewed 21 January 2018 for a stay in November 2017

What a delightful house. Met all our needs.
Set in paddy fields surrounded by jungle.
The birdlife is incredible,bring your binoculars!
Ranil,the house manager ensured our 4 night stay was special,suggested places to visit and cooked us amazing meals.
Great house,lovely setting.
Highly recommend a visit

23 Jan 2018
Thanks very much for your comments Carmel it was great to hear that you had enjoyed your stay.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Read this listing closely!”
Reviewed 19 January 2018 for a stay in December 2017

We arrived anticipating a wonderful 4 night stay. It was after dark, all the lights were on and there are no screens or glass in the windows- that is apparently what Plantation style means. The house was full of mosquitos and other bugs, there is no air-conditioning. Ranil told us that one bathroom "wasn't working", but he would fix it in the morning. I never figured out what the problem was, but the bathroom smelled like a sewer, so the adjacent bedroom was not inhabitable. One person went to town to find a room, the rest of us plugged the holes in the mosquito netting with toilet paper and tried to sleep. We discovered in the morning that the only shower with hot water was in the unusable bathroom. One shower was outdoors and when we attempted to use it, the water came out the handle, not the showerhead. After removing the spiderwebs from the third shower with the broom we found laying out the front door, we were able to take cold showers. We waited for Ranil to come cook breakfast at 8, he arrived at 9:30. The breakfast was delicious! By this time we had found other accommodations nearby at a fraction of the price. Our guide overheard Ranil telling someone that the bathroom had been that way for days. The yard had debris scattered about. The great room had two potted plants and one chair in it. I contacted the owner about the unacceptable state of her rental and requested a refund. She replied that Ranil said everything was fine. I requested a refund a second time and she never replied.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
23 Jan 2018
I was very sorry to hear that the house had not met your expectations. I have discussed the issues you raised with Ranil my house keeper. He assured me that the problem with the bathroom had been addressed. The problem had been caused by recent heavy rains, common in Sri Lanka, as are mosquitoes and bugs. However, I do appreciate your comments, as without feedback from guests I would not be able to improve standards. I was disappointed to learn that you had made the decision to leave early and then request a refund. As per TripAdvisor policy, refunds are given when guests experience no access to the property. As the house was available and habitable and you chose to leave, a refund will not be granted on this occasion.
Lquig66
“A little piece of heaven”
Reviewed 6 January 2017 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

On arriving at frangipani house, I knew I had made the right choice. The house is well appointed and fully equipped with everything I needed for my stay. I received a very warm welcome from house mananger Ranil and Bobby the dog!
The house looks out onto the paddy fields, and is only a 10minute tuk tuk ride to the town of fort galle and unawatana beach.
If you want a relaxing holiday in peaceful surroundings but close to the town and beaches this is the place for you.
Would highly recommend it and looking forward to my return visit

8 Jan 2017
Thanks very much for your positive feedback Lorna, I will pass on your compliments to Ranil. Please visit us again.
KaraER R
Doha, Qatar
“Great time in a lovely house”
Reviewed 11 April 2016 for a stay in March 2016

We were two families with young children who shared the entire house. The house was perfect for our needs with comfortable beds and ensuite bathrooms. The decoration was in keeping to its surroundings and there were plenty of spaces to relax or run around whilst watching the peacocks in the paddy fields below.
Ranil looked after us during our stay and cooked for us every night. The food was delicious and we looked forward to our fresh fruit breakfasts and our Sri Lankan dinners. He even bought us hoppers on request for the kids. He arranged our tuk tuks for the beach trips and recommended a great surfing place for the kids to try out proper surf boards.
It was a lovely week as the house is well located and this means Galle, beaches, turtles, spice gardens are all within easy reach but in the evening you can return home to peace and quiet.
Thanks so much for a lovely stay. The kids miss Ranil and Bobby, the German Shepherd who went on evening walks with us every day, a lot. Thanks Ranil for making my birthday special with the yummy cake and lovely flowers.
It's a thumbs up from all of us. We will be back and telling everyone about Frangipani house!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: decor, host, location
Liked least: leaving
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
11 Apr 2016
Thanks so much for your positive feedback and kind comments Kara. It was great to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and that everything was to your satisfaction. I will certainly pass on your compliments to Ranil. We would love to welcome you back in the future.
sarahJ946...
London, United Kingdom
“Return visit - just as we remembered!!”
Reviewed 28 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

We first found Frangipani House and Ranil on our first trip to Sri Lanka a year ago. Because we had such a great stay we returned on our subsequent visit. It was as we remembered but better. Ranil is a brilliant host - will organise a tuk tuk if you need it, take you shopping for your food (choosing your fish and vegetables from the market is so much better than the supermarket), cook for you, and generally take care of everything. He also organised our trip to Yala, and suggested accomodation - so helpful. I'm so pleased we returned and have seen the improvements to the villa - and when the swimming pool is complete it'll be even better. Thank you!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Ranil!!
Liked least: Leaving...
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
28 Mar 2016
Thank you so much for your positive feedback Sarah and your kind comments. I will pass on your compliments to Ranil.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing