“Amazing place!!!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

I had dinner with my friends and we were really satisfied. All the staff was really nice and all we ordered was yummy!

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed 18 January 2017

I'm a recently retired Brit living in eastern Tuscany near the border with Umbria about fifty minutes drive north of Perugia, the capital city of Umbria. Eastern Tuscany is more rugged than other parts of Tuscany and the food of the area reflects this, particularly during the winter months when chingiali (wild boar), lepre (hare) and coniglio (rabbit) feature on most restaurant menus. I was introduced to La Pergola about eight years ago, when I bought my house, and at that time it was very hard to get a table without booking, as the area attracted many overseas visitors who were either doing "the art trail" and people looking for derelict properties to buy and restore. At that time, mother and daughter did all the cooking, which took place over an open wood fire - not a barbecue, an open fire. The food was always very special and you could tell it was traditional food "of the area"; my favourite was and still is chingiali stew with garlic potatoes and spinach. The area is now noticeably quieter due to the recession, which is still hitting Italy very badly. The elderly mother has retired from cooking in the restaurant but her daughter continues to produce wonderful food. The daughter's husband looks after diners in a manner that manages to be both discrete and attentive. The restaurant now seems a bit big and has lost some of its rustic charm, that said, the food is excellent as is the service. The house wines are very good value and there is a very extensive wine cellar with some very expensive wines if you can justify that kind of expense. If you want to experience real food of the area at prices that are only slightly higher than more ordinary local restaurants, this is the place to come. Only a short drive from Anghiari on the N11, the La Pergola has good parking and is on the way Arezzo. Light lunches are also available.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Tim E
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Fantastic food. The duck rugo is the best. Rabbit and duck dishes are very delicious. Is out of the way near Anghiari , but is worth going there

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 24 August 2016

My family and I hired a farm house about 0.5km away from this place a couple of weeks ago. It ended up being our daily sanctuary. It is a beautiful rustic restaurant, with lovely charming staff in a fantastic setting.

We went daily as the coffee was spectacular. It was also served with some of the most delicious croissants and pastries I've ever had. We would go there in the mornings with our army of young children and the owners never blinked an eyelid. We then asked them if they would arrange a dinner for 21 of us the following day and we were served some of the most delicious pasta I've ever had in my life. The house wine was spectacular too.

Most remarkably was that the food and wine was comparable to michelin starred Locanda Locatelli in London and yet it was incredibly incredibly reasonable.

This is a must attend restaurant in Umbria - I miss it desperately!

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 16 March 2016

The place is ok inside but the location is poor, be careful not to be bumped into by a car passing on the nearby road:-) Foos can be ok if you are a tourist and know nothing about traditional tuscan dishes, but for locals I find it just average!!!

Date of visit: April 2015