Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Win W

Little gem in Mancora!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 03 Oct 2018via mobile
This little cozy place is not to be missed! Located nearby the port and the village of Mancora. Really good cevice and pisco sour! One of the best restaurants in the surroundings. 9 rooms all with Hamac! Little pool and the sea... will come back 4 sure!
Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Piscina y inmueble
3.9 km from Hotelier Arte y Cocina
    R 657
1.7 km from Hotelier Arte y Cocina
View more hotels in Mancora
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 June 2018

During our stay, I ate the raw tuna at the restaurant for lunch. A few hours later, I was feeling nauseous and then started throwing up profusely, which lasted for hours. The day I got sick I only ate at Hotelier, so I know I got sick from their food. I had never had food poisoning before in my life and it completely ruined the end of my trip. The problem I have with Hotelier is not that their food gave me food poisoning, it's how the owner's wife, Paola, handled the whole situation.

The night I was sick, Paola came by our room, as if to see how I was doing, but in reality to try to evade any responsibility. She kept saying that I must have been feeling bad from eating black scallops, which can be heavy on the digestive system, even though I told her I only ate one. Even if I had eaten more than one scallop, it was clear that I was not having a difficult digestion; I had food poisoning and my body was trying to empty itself completely. Even though I was obviously feeling very bad and couldn't talk much, she kept talking about how it had to have been the black scallop, which I think was highly insensitive and selfish.

The next day, after I was feeling better, I left the room and ran into two other guests, who I noticed were drinking the same electrolyte fluid as me. I asked them if they had gotten food poisoning and they said yes. They said that they had gone to Paola the day before to tell her that they had gotten sick from eating at the restaurant and Paola denied it completely. At this point I realized that when Paola came to our room to see how I was doing, she already knew that the other two guests had also gotten food poisoning and still tried to make me think that I was having a difficult digestion from a scallop. She was obviously trying to diffuse the incident.

Soon after, right before we left to go back to the airport, I went to Paola to tell her that I thought they should stop serving the raw tuna, at least for a while, because it was the only food that I had in common with the other two guests that got sick. I didn't want any kind of compensation, I just wanted to prevent anyone from getting sick like I did. Paola said there was no way that any of us got food poisoning from the hotel food. She even went as far as to say that when guests get sick they always say that they only ate at the hotel and it's not true. I find that incredible. It shows that she's had problems with food poisoning in the past and has ignored customers' claims, which is very concerning. I understood at that point Paola's level of callousness. She really doesn't care if her customers, who keep her business alive, get sick from her food. She will deny all responsibility and make no changes in the restaurant.

For that, I think Hotelier does not deserve anyone's business.

Date of stay: February 2018
2  Thank Natalia127
Reviewed 13 October 2017

If you’re looking for somewhere to get away from it all, then late winter in Mancora (that’s late summer if you’re in the northern hemisphere) is a great choice. The resort is reputed to enjoy 350 days of sun per year, with temperatures rarely dropping below the 20s and rarely rising above 30 in the summer. The Pacific Ocean is a comfortable 20 degrees even in the winter months and draws surfers from all over Peru and beyond in the summer.

The coast to the south of Mancora is dotted with boutique hotels that directly abut the short, sandy beach, but only one of them is home to a restaurant run by the son of one of Peru’s greatest TV chefs, Teresa Ocampo. Having graced the nation’s TV screens for 30 years, and sold 300,000 cookery books, Teresa’s legacy might have been expected to live on in Lima with some of the world’s greatest restaurants. But her son Javier, who runs the boutique Hotelier (it has just eight beachfront rooms) and its quaint open-air beachfront restaurant Donde Teresa, told me that he would never have been able to keep his beloved seven parrots, two cats and a dog if he had set up shop in Lima.

The rooms are large and the two rooms on the top floor are Jacuzzi suites. If you plan to have a Jacuzzi, however, you will need to be very patient, since it would probably take an hour or so to fill up (we gave up after 20 minutes), since the hot water its provided by an immersion heater and the pressure is more drip feed than fire hose. All rooms have a balcony (or a small terrace for those on the ground floor), each with a hammock that invites you to just laze around.

Each room has a fridge stocked with a complimentary bottle of wine and two bottles of water, but since it is a standard fridge rather than a mini-bar sized one, you can stock up on drinks in Mancora, which is a leisurely 30-minute walk along the beach or a five minute (and 4-5 soles, depending on your negotiating skills) ride in a mototaxi. The rooms also have a small dining table and a large 32-inch flat screen TV with DVD player placed at the foot of the bed. A safe is discreetly hidden under the bathroom sink.

The views are unbeatable, since you can watch the sunset from your balcony and sit listening to the waves lapping on the shore all day. Alternatively, you can use the small swimming pool or sit on loungers on the beach, placing you just yards away from the sea (be careful at high tide since there are a number of rocky areas right in front of the hotel).

What really sets the hotel apart is the restaurant, however. It’s hard to imagine that such delicacies can come out of what appears to be a tiny kitchen, but they do. Off season it is probably best to enquire what is fresh, since the menu is heavily oriented towards local seafood. It offers the local yellowfin tuna prepared in every imaginable way, from sashimi to seared to stir and deep-fried. Javier or the amiable César will tell you what is fresh, whether it’s the tuna, lobster from his own pots or shellfish bought directly from men who wander along the beach having just prized them from the rocks.

There is an abundance of sea life, from numerous birds diving to catch fish or hanging around the fishing boats off the pier to crabs and fish and even the odd sea lion. The more adventurous can take a 6.30am excursion out to sea for some whale watching but we actually saw a couple from the restaurant. The renowned Manglares nature reserve is not too far north, either.

For some genuinely off the beaten track fun, I recommend a trip to the Poza da Barro (?) mud baths, which are a bone-shaking 30 minute mototaxi ride from the hotel. Guidebooks and locals tell you that the entrance fee is 2 soles per person but when we went there was nobody to pay (but that didn’t stop our driver telling us that he’d paid the entrance fee for us). The mud baths are a tiny pool of warm mud with a slightly deeper end gently bubbling with a mildly sulphurous odour. Be warned that there are absolutely no facilities on site, so take anything you need (towels, change of clothes, drinks etc.) with you. I may not be selling it well but it was the highlight of our stay because we must have looked like aliens to the family of ten enjoying a sunset dip, whose kids were keen for us to teach them as much English as possible during our 20-minute soak. Don’t forget to smear the mud on your face and let it dry for the ultimate free face mask! Allow between 50 and 60 soles and make sure you confirm the price before you leave. The hotel can arrange the mototaxi for you.

Mancora is very close to the equator and the run rises around 6.30am and sets almost exactly 12 hours later, so it’s worth making the most of it when it’s around!

Room tip: All rooms face the ocean, but the top two rooms are jacuzzi suites with the best views.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank onepau
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Travelling from Lima ( 4th September ,as Lima was cold) to the North of Peru to Piura / Mancora to enjoy the sun (Sun all year) and the beautiful Pacific Ocean,
The Hotelier Arte y Cocina , is a gem . From the warm and kind welcome and service to all the staff , specially Cesar the hotel manager and AMAZING food that the sea can bring us, fresh caught fish, and sea food that melt on your lips and are mouth watering ( we eat every day here ) with friendly and attentive service joined up by the breeze, the air, the views of an immense ocean with clear crystal waters,
Since the moment when we arrived earlier our room was ready , the room was lovely and clean with an amazing sea view (all rooms have sea view ) , and to our last day we suppose to vacate at 11 , but as our flight was later on the day, the manager offer us to stay and not rush to leave , we enjoyed our stay for another 3 extra hours having the facilitate to use the room .Also the Hotelier organize Whale watching tour services, and more . Next time we visit Peru, we are caming back to The Hotelier Arte y Cocina Truly a great stay !!!!!

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 25 March 2017

We stayed at this hotel for 8 nights. It is located in a very quiet area, 5 minutes away by motor taxi from Mancora and about 20 minutes by foot. The hotel has an ocean view but you can't really swim in the sea there because of the many rocks. There is a small swimming pool at the hotel. Our room was spacious. The air conditioning wasn't working during our stay. We mentioned it to Hugo but they didn't repair it. The room was cleaned on a daily basis you just have to remind them to change your towels regularly. They serve a very small continental breakfast every morning. The hotel restaurant is very nice, you can get a meal for around 40 soles. Most of the staff members are friendly.

Date of stay: March 2017
2  Thank Dana D
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Hotelier for Christmas and had such an amazing time! The staff is nice and the owner is really fun and chill. The beach is right in front. You can just swim in sea during high tide because of the rocks. There are nice sunbeds and the pool is very refreshing. You can lie in the hammocks.
There are a lot of cats, but if you don't like them the staff will take them away. The birds in the aviary chirp or say olah, but we didn't hear them at all in the room at night even though we had the room closest to them. The view is like looking at a little paradise and that is exactly what the whole stay felt like.
The beds were very hard though, which were uncomfortable.
The food from the restaurant is excelent and the breakfast was simple but very tasty.
It is 5 minutes away from Mancora with a mototaxi, which come by every 5 minutes during the day. It costs us 3 sol to get to the beginning of Mancora.

Date of stay: January 2017