All reviews the pub complimentary bottle great stop great food fresh milk fish and chips lovely setting with some friends sunday lunch lovely meal sunny day sea bass duck eggs benedict sandwich cooked breakfast potatoes
Reviewed 28 July 2018

Stayed here for the night just recently and what a lovely night it was too we arrived early afternoon and was very lucky to have fabulous weather so were able to spend the afternoon in the beer garden it was so relaxing,later on after a little rest as we had travelled for many hours we came down for our evening meal again the weather had been so lovely we again dined outside the staff were lovely and friendly and the food presented well and enjoyable,we were staying over which was a good choice as the rooms were lovely and clean and very comfortable completed by a fabulous continental breakfast in the morning we enjoyed everything about our stay here and have already booked to go again.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2018

We booked one night's stay at The Stag on the River as we were attending a wedding at Gate Street Barn. The pub is about a 20 minute drive from this wedding venue.

We were able to check in early at 12pm which was brilliant as we had to be at the wedding venue at 1:30pm. Staff were friendly and helpful upon check-in and helped us with booking a taxi.

The room itself was well furnished and a good size. We had a super comfy bed, complimentary bottle of Hogs Back beer, full-size wardrobe and walk-in shower. The room was full of character - the perfect country pub room!

Breakfast was included in the price of the room. We had a continental choice of breakfast which included some of the biggest pastries I've seen!

If I was in the area again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay again or enjoy a meal or drink at The Stag on the River. Superb!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

Met up with some friends. This place is fairly close to my home but I haven't visited for years....what a fool I've been, it is a gem. The location is fabulous, we sat outside by the river but the interior was also inviting, especially in the winter. They have succeeded in delivering a special, luxurious atmosphere without it being pretentious or formal. The food was amazing - I had one of the specials of sea bass and crayfish linguine. Delish. My dessert of English cheeses was a treat. The only drawback? I was driving so couldn't wash them down with a glass of red. To top it all the staff were friendly and helpful and the prices very reasonable. I'll definitely go back soon

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

Great place next to the river. Very peaceful. The car park is a little on the small side. The staff are friendly and the food was excellent and arrived very quickly . The garden is lovely on a sunny day.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2018

We stayed overnight at the Stag in the old part. From a general perspective my partner and I come away very satisfied with our stay. There are some great positives but some negatives. On the positive side the outside terrace is great with good quality tables and chairs, thus a very pleasant environment. The morning breakfast was very good with good quality ingredients especially the cooked breakfast. On arrival in our room a nice bottle of craft beer with two glasses which certainly was appreciated after a 3 hour journey. Fresh flowers on the tables was a nice touch and the external hanging baskets were lovely. The stag emblem / brand image was well used especially the wall paper in our room. If there was a downside perhaps if your tall like me the rooms in the old part have low ceilings and door frames and unfortunately I had one or two bumps. I certainly would of liked air-conditioning in the room especially as were going through a heat wave. The floors were also uneven but that is part of the character of the building.
I also did not fully enjoy the fish and chips eaten in the evening. I always want something more like fish and chips from my chippy and it is not very often pubs can match this traditional dish as good as a good fish and chip shop.

Our stay was also memorable for a party taking place that afternoon / evening and not your traditional party but one following a funeral - it added to the evening atmosphere.
The Stag is certainly a nice place to stay and we enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider returning but if you need air-conditioning and normal height ceiling's then it may not be for you, however, we were in the old part thus the other rooms on the other side of the pub may be different.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple