All reviews the pub specials board great food fresh milk burger fish and chips sunday lunch lovely setting lovely meal sunny day sea bass duck eggs benedict cooked breakfast little touches potatoes bed and breakfast
Reviewed 16 February 2017

A very pleasant short break with friends. Booked two rooms B&B with evening meal
both nights. Very clean and tidy rooms a little on the small side but nice nonetheless.
Good choice of beers in the bar .. a log fire .. great food and very pleasant staff. Great
for a short break !!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sweenyfamily
Reviewed 30 January 2017

On a family visit due to the birth of a grandson we had to find a bed for 2 nights. The Stag is clean entertaining with friendly staff and a perfect short stay venue. Rooms are compact and well tended but if I'm honest would have preferred a larger bed. There is I think in room 3 more space but not too sure of bed size.
The food is always perfectly presented and my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter recommends the squid and large prawns whilst there is nothing I've eaten I wouldn't recommend

Room Tip: room 3 seems the largest
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin O
claudia s, General Manager at The Stag on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2017

Dear Martin 0,

Thank you for your kind review! We do indeed have a larger king size bed in our family room, so I do hope you will return to try it!
I am glad you had a good stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Claudia

Reviewed 15 January 2017

We visited on a Tuesday lunchtime. We were travelling westwards along the A3 and found this pub just by chance when we saw a roadside board. A historic pub with lots of character situated on the the banks of the River Wey. It was cosy inside with open fires in the various rooms. Excellent, friendly service and the food was delicious and homemade. We had fish & chips, classic burger and sea bass which was excellent as were the extra bowl of seasonal veg that we ordered. I will mark this on my map for the next time I am travelling in this part of the country.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Just booked lunch here on recommendation from a friend and explained we had a dog. When we turned up, we were shown to a tiny table literally in the corridor under the reception desk, nowhere near the bar or the dining area. The waitress seemed surprised that we didn't want to sit in the corridor and explained that was all they had left at short notice. She went on to say that if any of her booked guests didn't turn up then she could fit us in and she'd call us. Were we really supposed to wait or drive around hoping that she called? We felt we were treated like second class citizens. They need to treat their customers with more dignity.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
claudia s, General Manager at The Stag on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Dear Timvirdee,

Please do accept my apologies if there had been any miscommunication regarding your table reservation on Saturday.
I am not sure if when your booking was taken it was explained the only table we had available was in our snug area and I would sincerely like to apologise if that wasn't case.
I believe I spoke with you at the time and we offered you a different table as soon as one become available as we were aware of one particular table that were finishing their drinks. I understand you did not wish to wait but instead asked us to call you as soon as it became available, which we did at the earliest opportunity.
I do sincerely regret your disappointment and for any confusion that lead to your feeling unvalued.
I would be grateful if you could like to contact me directly at Claudia.stirling@redmistleisure.co.uk to discuss your experience further as we would very much like to invite you back to the Stag to fore fill your lunch reservation at a time of your choosing.
Kind regards
Claudia

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Stayed at The Stag on the River just before christmas, lovely Inn, the rooms were well equipped and comfortable, great big shower too great comfortable room, bed was comfortable also, all in all lovely room, all recently been refurbished.
We had a lovely meal tgere too, food was excelkent. Staff helpful and friendly.
Location by the river was very pretty. Perfect stay.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family