“So much potential but not much thought”

Verbena Spa, Helmsley
Ranked #13 of 20 things to do in Helmsley
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Verbena Spa, Helmsley, Yorkshire. Nestling in Helmsley, on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. Verbena Spa is within easy reach of Leeds, York, Whitby & Teesside.Elemis products feature strongly in a menu of day spa packages and individual spa treatments. We also offer Anne Semonin for bespoke treatments designed especially for you. Verbena Spa is part of the award-winning Feversham Arms Hotel, so why not complete the experience with an overnight getaway? Elemis products feature strongly in a menu of day spa packages and individual spa treatments. The Verbena Spa is part of the award-winning Feversham Arms Hotel, so why not complete the experience with an overnight getaway?
Reviewed 24 April 2018

This is not the first time I have visited The Feversham Arms and Verbena Spa. I had hoped my first experience was just an off day. Unfortunately I was wrong.
This building is a classic Yorkshire hotel and Helmsley is picture perfect with lots of little shops, cafes and restaurants as well as the castle, walled gardens and nearby Rievaulx Abbey to mention but a few of the attractions.
My aim for the day was to relax in the spa. Upon arrival I was greeted very politely and shown around the spa. I wa given a locker containing robe and flip flops to use for the day. Well the robe was the sorriest piece of material I have ever seen. I could hardly bring myself to put it on my body. What a disgrace. Worn out, frayed and rough.
Moving on to the pool area, finding a place to sit was not a problem, however as the area has so much seating the pool felt like a goldfish bowl and by afternoon was very busy and felt more like a crowded costa beach.
The hot tub has tables right next to it with diners having lunch- it is not really satisfactory to have to stand next to a couple having a quiet lunch and throw off your brown frayed robe bearing all before plunging into the hot tub and making a total racket turning it on! Not well thought through. Walking through diners who are dressed smartly and having a lovely lunch a deux whilst wearing a raggy robe and rubber blue flip flops felt horrid.
On the up side my treatment was very good and relaxing although as last time was slightly shorter than the allotted time. I can’t fault the therapist’s skill or professionalism, indeed she was nothing but polite and caring.

This spa should be amazing! This spa should be top notch and by not paying attention to guest experience in a day and age when it is all about experience the hotel management are not maximising the opportunities available. A spa day should be a sanctuary. It should be peaceful and pampering, not picking your way through fully dressed diners to sit in a goldfish bowl in a robe that you wouldn’t put in your dog’s basket!
Come on Feversham you can do better than this. I won’t be coming back for a long time until I see review reflecting a dramatic change.

3  Thank Blazing100
"lovely location"
"therapist"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

My mum and I visited this for a spa day as a package and we had the mud rasual. Having been to a lot of spa's we were disappointed. This spa is not keeping up with the times and it really needs refreshing and updating. The outside jacuzzi was cold and only a couple of the jets were working. One of the foot spa's was also very poor on jet strength. The sauna and the steam room were fine but I would want more than that from a spa. The mud experience is simply putting different clays on your body and then going in a steam room to steam it off. The relaxation room is not what I would expect from a "relaxation " room. It's right next to the cafe and people are drinking tea and eating cake. Smells and noise from the cafe make this more of a sitting room than relaxation room. We would not return.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We went for a spacial spa day and found the place lovely. However the changing rooms were a bit skanky and lacking in the cleaning department, especially the showers which were also very claustrophobic!

The spa towels and robes were worn and old. Need replacing urgently. I saw one towel in the dirty basket was torn and ready for the bin.

The changing room lockers had no logic to their numbering system!

The sauna and hot pool/spa weren't very hot and that was disappointing.

Overall, awesome staff and treatments, let down by lack of detail and attention to the basics of a spare experience.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

My Husband booked a Hotel/Spa package as an anniversary treat. We have stayed at the Feversham on a number of occasions over the past 10 years, including on an exclusive use basis. In general the staff at the spa were very nice, in particular the ladies who did our treatments were great. However, I would agree, with some of the other reviews that the robes need upgrading, along with the flip flops, which should be single use instead of plastic reusable ones and there is a general tiredness about the place, both in terms of cleanliness and fittings. Finally, I had an unfortunate experience in the bar area, but the hotel has resolved this and I believe it to be a one off. I would go back to the hotel, but I would probably not use the Spa.