Of course this is the only hotel we stayed at in Santorini but I would be surprised if there are any better and in particular, any that make you feel so at home. There is an underlying culture that feels of family and that's what makes it so special.
From the moment we left the airport the levels of care and attention are there, with an efficient pick up and a comfortable mini bus.
It's a very short walk to the hotel from the drop off and there are staff on hand to take your bags as being Santorini there's plenty of steps to negotiate.
When you arrive the friendly staff get you checked in quickly and then you are given a tour of the hotel facilities which like the rooms are cut into the side of the cliff face. It's also the first chance to meet Spooky, the lovely hotel dog that will turn up throughout your stay.
The pool and pool area is stunning and is apparently the largest on the Island. It certainly gives wonderful views over the sea towards the Southern parts of the island. It's deep but not cold. It has a jacuzzi area too.
The pool bar turns out lovely cocktails and the staff are very charming and treated us all incredibly well. Nothing was a problem and they were very good with our teenage (19 and 15) children.
It's also at the pool bar that you'll meet the owner, Yiannis, and here is my most important tip, spend time with Yiannis, he is one of the most interesting people we have met and he helped make our holiday so memorable. He is born and bred on Santorini and his stories and experiences are hilarious and sad and entertaining. He is also an incredibly generous host and really looks after you but is also gracious and you can return his hospitality.
He also owns farms that provide most of the delicious tomatoes, red onions and fava that make the lunches at the hotel so delicious. There is no need to go out for lunch and we only ate out during the daytime when we were out exploring.
Breakfast is also good, lots of local produce once again. Worth getting up for.
The hotel has a great location as it faces South and is protected from the North Wind that can blow quite hard, even in the Summer.
The wind also makes a boat trip a must. We decided to 'push the boat out' and charter a boat for the day. The one we selected was Yiannis' own boat and he treated us royally all day. It was an amazing day which included swimming, cliff jumping, octopus fishing and loads of food and drinks. Worth the money.
That brings me onto the cost, if you want budget this not the hotel for you. However, it is not expensive for what you get. The rooms are small but appointed to 5 star standard. I'll explain why we know that and it involves my only mild criticism of the hotel.
When we booked the hotel it was only my wife and daughter that were going so we booked the 'apartment' room which is suitable for 4 adults. My son then decided to he wanted to come so I asked the hotel if the apartment would hold 4 and was told yes. Now once we saw the room we knew straight away 2 days (let alone 10) with the 4 of us in the room would have ended in the holiday being ruined. I do wish the hotel had been more realistic but it turned out to be a good thing as I decided he needed his own room and although it took 3 room changes he get to stay in a variety of rooms which was actually quite a lot of fun.
It also meant that my wife and I got to spend the last 3 days in the honeymoon nest. This a room you have to stay in. It's gorgeous with an enormous Turkish bath that looks down into the Ocean and it's own private plunge pool. It's very private too. None of this came cheap but was worth every Euro.
So all in all the team at Honeymoon Petra Villas are simply fantastic and made it feel like a second honeymoon for my wife and I.
When we return to Santorini there's only one place we will stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the magical island of Santorini, in the charming village of Imerovigli, Honeymoon Petra luxury hotel stands perched above the deep blue Aegean Sea.Family owned and run, this unique 5 star Santorini hotel has a lot more to offer than just accommodation. Its extraordinary views, rich Greek flavor and unique hospitality, distinguish it as a remarkably unique and tranquil heaven.The Pool, the biggest one on the Caldera, is hewn out of the volcanic rock and the facilities around it include a steam room and outdoor Jacuzzi, a Pool Bar and Day restaurant, a BBQ area, a breakfast area with panoramic views and large, comfortable lounge chairs and daybeds for the ultimate relaxation experience. From the pool area guests can experience some of the most awe-inspiring sunsets in the world.One of the most extraordinary luxury hotels in Santorini, Honeymoon Petra offers stylish and comfortable accommodation, taking full advantage of its breathtaking location and views of the caldera, volcano and the satellite islands of Santorini. The complex is developed in 2 wings; the Traditional Wing, a group of 9 luxury Rooms & Suites built into the rock, in the traditional style of the island, and the Petra Wing, a group of 17 luxury Rooms & Suites built from the rocks of the volcanic mountains.Honeymoon Petra Villas, a luxury hotel tucked quaintly into the rock, is 10km away from the international airport, 2km from the capital of the island Fira and closely located to the ancient fortress of Skaros.Distinguishing from other Santorini luxury hotels, Honeymoon Petra will make your stay an unforgettable experience! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Honeymoon Petra Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honeymoon Petra Villas Hotel Imerovigli
- Honeymoon Petra Hotel
- Honeymoon Petra Imerovigli