“We Shall Return”
other traveller has booked this property
House view from gardens Late Afternoon view from Mahi-Mahi Suite
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
House view from gardens
Late Afternoon view from Mahi-Mahi Suite
Breakfast Palapa w exotic tropical gardens
Pool at sunrise
Becky w Sierra Mackerel
Congo (Holler) Monkey on property
35 foot Waterfall on property
Statues along Waterslide at Sunset
Original oil paintings throughout house
World Class Deep-sea fishing
Valley view short walk above house
Huge Terraces w custom made furniture
Early Morning Terrace view from Jaguar Suite
Orthopedic Mattresses w custom made beds
Playa Uvita Low Tide
Mahi-Mahi Suite Oceanview and Artwork
Arched floral entry to Infinity pool
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
parkslope...
Brooklyn, New York
“Del Congos De Uvita - The Long and Winding Road”
Reviewed 5 March 2011 for a stay in December 2010
people found this review helpful

Six adults plus our 18-month old stayed at Del Congos during the week of Christmas. To say the least it was an adventure. I’ll start with the positives: The villa is true to the pictures and very nice, with a large new kitchen. The kitchen is the central part of the villa and it’s also where the television is. There is no cable there so be certain to bring DVDs or a connection cable for a smart phone or laptop. The back porch is large and great for hanging out or eating dinner outside on the large table. The pool is pretty and the views from the back are gorgeous. The bedrooms are fine but the plumbing wasn’t great and we had some problems, perhaps because of the more remote location of the villa. The house manager, Diego, and his wife, Arecily, live next door and were extremely helpful and friendly although not particularly proficient in English.

Now for the negative, or at least the reality that no one really explained to us sufficiently, either in the description of the villa or the prior visitors’ reviews: the villa is very high up a mountain, and very difficult to reach. You reach it from the town by driving up an unpaved, steep, twisting, rocky mountain road with steep cliffs. It took about 30 minutes to get up there, and we never made the trip more than once in one day. The owner did tell us that we would need a manual car with four-wheel drive, and we were able to rent his car from him. That being said, he also told us that we would get used to the road after a day or two and would have no trouble driving up and down the road ourselves. To the contrary, although I am able to drive stick, I never successfully drove up or down the road myself (I actually got stuck once and had to rely on a passerby to drive the car up the hill for me). Instead, we had to rely on Diego to drive us up and down every time we wanted to go anywhere. In addition, because many of the activities (horse back riding, fishing, etc.) were not that close and getting to these locations was not simple, we ended up using the services of Marcos (the guy who picked us up from the airport). He charged $40 a day and would drop us off and pick us up from the activity. Once we figured out a system it was very nice, but having to rely on other people who didn’t really speak English to get to and from the villa, and having such a daunting trip up and down the mountain just to get there, was a little draining and isolating. Because we didn’t feel up to the task of that trip more than once a day and were not able to drive ourselves, we ended up canceling a few dinner reservations.

If you go into renting this villa knowing about the location, then you’ll probably be fine. The people there are very nice and there are things to do, but know that you won’t be going back and forth from the villa as frequently as you might have thought. Also, just an FYI, the town of Uvita is not near the airport in San Jose. Rather, you either have to drive 4-5 hours or take a puddle jumper flight to another airport that is 45 minutes away. We have been to a number of villas over the years and this one was the most rustic. We had a good time but I think you need to know what you’re getting and make an educated decision.

Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:

WI
Reviewed 17 June 2010 for a stay in May 2010

Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing