All reviews no lift sea view non residents shepherd neame lovely hotel local car park viking bay eggs benedict top floor third floor single room flights of stairs sandwich charles dickens full english seaside town sea front
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Stayed with my sister over the bank holiday weekend, had a lovely room overlooking the sea. The staff were very friendly, and although they were very busy as the weather was so good, they were very attentive to their residents, looking after our every need, we felt very spoilt. Would definitely reccommend it and will be going back in the future!

Reviewed 31 May 2018

A very comfortable place to stay. No lift and many narrow stairs if staying above first floor. No on-site parking and at popular times local car parks a few hundred metres away get full. Double yellow lines surround the hotel. Staff very pleasant even though overworked. Receptionist 'Trichia' extremely helpful even though at a busy weekend lacked help and run off her feet. Lovely location overlooking the beach so worth booking a 'sea-view' room.

Room tip: Sea view rooms are overlooking the beach. No lift ans 80 stairs if on top floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank moorerichard12
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Oh dear our once favorite hotel on the south coast has gone down so far. The photos of the 'superior' room say it all. Shabby and sad, room, stairs and reception in urgent need of a lick of paint and a good deep clean. Signs of leaks everywhere.
The service was also terrible. Nice people but no idea on customer service. We were asked to wait for ages, while the receptionist finiished her very long email. She compained about over work.
We arrived for breakfast to the waitress telling us how rushed and understaffed she was. She took our order and when 20 mins later we asked where our food was she said the kitchen had forgetten it and had to retake our order. By this time we were the only people in the restaurant yet it didnt occur to her we might be waiting for anything. Too busy gossiping to care. For lunch I ordered haddock chowder. It arrived with prawns with the skin on in the soup and no way to clean hands. I asked how I was supposed to get these out of my soup without getting into a mess. Waitress said 'thats just how it is served'.
This place needs to shut down for a winter season, redecorate and give some staff training.
We have been going for years but wont go again to this shabby old hotel although it is still in the perfect location.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank jan s
Reviewed 27 May 2018

We stayed for one night in the most beautiful sea view room with a lovely decked balcony. The service was excellent and the food delicious, loved my seafood chowder soup with fresh mussels and prawns, a good selection at breakfast and got some good local tips where to go from the waitress. The early sea front walk very pleasant and good local restaurants within the walking distance. I have only one request: to improve the tidiness of the decked balcony, I picked up a champagne cork and someone's serviette. We will be back for sure!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

It's not often we are able to get together as a family, with our daughter living away, so it's important to us that we make the most of the time we have together. What was looking like a nice lunch with a glorious outlook was completely spoilt by a waitress with an attitude problem.

To the point where we downed tools and felt there was no choice but to leave as soon as the food arrived. To be fair one of the managers was very apologetic but apparently the other was unhappy at having to refund our uneaten meal. They've become impossible to contact since we got home and want to discuss this issue further with the other "unhappy" manager.

That's a special lunch with our nearest and dearest we can't get back. I'd suggest if that waitress can't handle retail work she best stay at home.

Hopefully the management will make contact and we can get some explanation for her actions and put this to bed. Other visitors beware, check other reviews as you'll see this is a common problems by all accounts. Check my other reviews, I rarely if ever give bad ones.

Trip type: Travelled with family