See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 February 2017

Friend and I booked a private room for a weekend trip to Santa Teresa having read the excellent reviews this hostel has received and we were not disappointed! Our private room had a comfortable bed and lots of storage space as well as an en suite bathroom in great condition with a shower, including hot water. We loved cooking our meals in the very well-equipped kitchen space and socializing with other hostelgoers. The hosts are very nice and helpful and we utilized their advice to find good things to do in the Santa Teresa area. The location is perfect in terms of beach accesses and restaurants. I would return to Santa Teresa just to stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

The staff was super nice and the people there too! The kitchen is big and well organized. Everything is really clean. I stayed in a private room which had a huge balcony with garden view. They rent surfboards so you don't have find a surf shop. I would definitely recommend.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my time at Wave Trotter. The vibe of the place, the location, the staff and especially the management. A wonderful couple who make the place that little bit special. They were certainly the greatest locals I met in my whole two week trip in CR! I had my bag stolen on the beach one of the nights I was there, the lady (Mai) didn't hold back with offering help in any way the morning after. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

The hosts are very friendly and the guests are awesome too.

Our accommodations were disappointing though. The first night I was constantly woken up by the couple upstairs who finally stopped walking around their room after 3 am. Make sure you stay upstairs as the downstairs rooms don't have soundproof from the wooden floors.

The second night there was a water leak that had flooded a corner of the room and had some of our clothing and dog's bed wet. They were going to look into the problem the next day.

On the third and last evening I woke up at 3 from the dripping sound of water and had to move the other bed out of the way and discovered our dog wet and our laundry wet. It made sleeping very uncomfortable for the rest of the night and we were up at 6 to leave for SJO.

For our 6 week stay in Costa Rica and Nicaragua, this was the only place that was overpriced for what we got. When one pays over $100 per night you at least want to sleep dry. I normally don't complain but there was no competition offered for the water issue and in fact we had to pay $2 extra per towel used. It really was this extra that put me off completely (or the straw that broke the camel's back) to not leave a positive review.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank JLotz
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed with Herman and Mai for one week and loved the place and the people. It was the first days of the season and we were lucky to have the place for ourselves for a few days. The hostel has high ceilings, a big garden and a lovely interior. Herman and Mai are really nice chilled people who are at the hostel all the time, getting in touch with their clients so in the end they felt more like friends to us than hostel guys. Thanks for the time!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends