All reviewsdouble treemakan kitchenteddy bear museumaxis loungekids clubcalled earlierseparated roomscrabtree and evelynparking vouchershared hallwaynice upgrademinor setbackproper beachkids cornerreturn shuttlepublic areas arethe security guard
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

We are Hilton gold members and have had pleasant stays at other Hiltons. This hotel is probably fine if you know what to expect but we did have higher expectations and were disappointed. I will say that the staff was very friendly. I think many of the issues were out of their control but they tried their best to handle it.

One problem was the shuttle. The Doubletree is quite far from George Town but we decided to stay there over some cheaper places in town because they advertise having a free shuttle. There is only one van that makes one trip and holds 15 people at most. At a big busy hotel, that is not nearly enough. We ended up getting to go but the front desk had to arrange other transportation for us which I don’t think they typically do. On another day we asked to be picked up at the second location, Gurney Mall, along with 3 other hotel guests. The shuttle picked up in George Town at 3. We waited at the mall until 3:50 and eventually had to pay for our own transportation back.

The biggest problem was the mold in our room. The air filter likely hadn’t been changed in a year or two so the whole room was a little damp. There was visible mold on and around the filter and some looked to have leaked around the ceiling. I’m sure our room wasn’t the only one. The engineer came to check it out and agreed it shouldn’t be that way. Unfortunately we had both already gotten a bit sick from it.

Breakfast was crazy and we usually couldn’t find someone to order tea from, though I know it can’t be helped that the hotel is busy.

As the title says, if you don’t have high expectations, it’s probably fine. Just don’t expect anything super nice.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chels_Arms
DoubleTreePenang, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Dear Chels_Arms,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Whilst I am happy to hear that our team members' have made a positive impact on your stay, I am disappointed to hear that we have fallen shot of your expectations in certain areas and I would like to apologize for the shortfall in services that you have experienced. Your remarks have been duly noted for future improvements and we will be sure to share your constructive feedback to the team. We hope for an opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2018

We stayed here for 4 nights.

Good points first:
Our check-in process was very smooth, unlike what others have experienced. The hotel is very new. Rooms interiors are modern and very comfortable. AC / lighting mechanisms are easy to understand. The terrace attached to our room was beautiful - huge and well-equipped in terms of light and seating. Housekeeping services were great. Our room was always made-up when we were away. The pools were all great - the pool with the slide and pouring bucket was good fun for kids. The very tiny man-made beach in the corner, right next to the baby pool worked very well. After playing there, my kid was happy enough and didn't really seem to care that there was no real big beach and proper beach around. The best part about the pools were the cabanas - very spacious and comfortable and were available for use at no extra charges - which is very rarely the case. Most of the resorts charge extra for the covered cabanas.

A few not-so-good experiences we had:
1. We booked a month and a half in advance. One day prior to our flight date, we get a call from the hotel staff telling us that there has been heavy rains due to which our particular room type requires some leakage fixing and requested us to change our room. What they were offering in exchange was not close to the room type we had booked. When we refused their request and expressed that we'd like to continue in the same room, the staff immediately agreed, as if there never was any leakage issue in the first place. Honestly, we felt we were lied to.

2. The in-room service was not up to the mark. Firstly, the staff seemed to be feeling under pressure with orders pouring in during peak times. Guess, this will get better with training and more experience. Secondly, not sure if they were under-staffed in their kitchen or what the issue was - the orders took long to arrive. I ordered a glass of milk for my child and requested specifically for a quick delivery since it was about time for her to sleep. Almost an hour - and the order was neither delivered nor was there any update from the staff re the delay. They finally delivered at around 10pm when my kid already went to sleep.
On our first night of stay, we ordered a vegetarian meal and told the lady taking the order that we'd like no meat / fish or eggs in the meal, only vegetables. When we got the actual order, the execution was exact opposite - the food had only meat / fish and eggs and no vegetables - lack of experience again, I guess. Should get better with time.
We placed many in-room dining orders and had to follow-up on the status of each one of them. For every delay, the reasons given were not those expected from a 5-star - 'ma'am, the kitchen is not responding to my calls', 'ma'am, the lifts are not working' (there were 3 of them and we were on the 4th floor), 'ma'am, my colleague fell down while bringing the order' (after about an hour of ordering, I got this response upon a follow-up call). All this was a bit unfortunate.

After the 2nd day, we were quite frustrated and shared our concerns with the duty manager - Mr. Shah Razal. He did apologise and tried his best to make up for the bad service. He arranged for us a sumptuous dinner on our last night, on the house. We really appreciate his service.

The refills at breakfast peak hours were rather slow as well.

Overall, the under-staffing / poor management during peak hours seemed to be the only main issue around which all of these revolved. Once the hotel management fixes this, I'm sure their customers cannot complain since otherwise, we had an excellent stay and will surely consider returning.

A request to the team which responds to tripadvisor reviews - the replies are all too generic and mono-toned. All of the replies sound exactly the same. Please make them more customized.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a terrace
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear Anshu V,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our rooms and pools. However, I am disappointed to hear that we have fallen short of your expectations with regards to service delivery. Thrilled to hear that Shahrizal has left a positive impact on your stay. Kindly be assured that your constructive feedback on our services have been duly noted for future improvements. Rest assured that we are also currently diligently training our team members to better serve you in future. Additionally, all our responses are individually crafted for each review. I'm sorry to hear that it lacks a personalized appeal, I will be sure to look into this to ensure that the responses are more customized.

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Now I was here for business and as such I was very happy with the visit. Nice, clean big rooms. Good internet but the electrical sockets are UK/Malay type only and not multi-plug as it is in many business hotels.

Now this is a resort hotel, catering for families with children. There is a Kid’s Club, Teddy Bear Museum and a Kid’s pool.

The hotel is not on the beach and a proper beach is a good 10 minutes away with either bus or taxi. Nor is there much of a restaurant scene around, so once again you have to head out of the hotel unless you want eat there. The hotel do offer a very limited shuttle service to Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi.

I noticed the many remarks about the check in and I agree it seems to take a long time to complete the process. I had a conference call, I needed to attend and being a Diamond member, I received an expedited check-in. I am very grateful for this. The service in the hotel is outstanding. The people do their very best to make you feel welcome. A nice smile goes a long way and I guess that goes both ways between the staff and the guests.

Big breakfast buffet. Pretty much average for a hotel of this class. In this case average means it is good.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Reslimpan

Dear Reslimpan,

Thank you for leaving us with a great review. I am pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were impressed with our breakfast spread at Makan Kitchen. I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2018

Restaurant staff seems so friendly&helpful ,Was out & got back after dinner & felt a slight headache. Sadly forgot to pack some panadol in my bag before coming to this island, its 9pm & my partner & I are so tired to head out again as the hotel is out of the way from any shopping mall or any convenient stall. The hotel shop is close doubt they sell panadol & the hotel gift shop is not open yet ( hotel is 7 months old )
So we had no choice but to head to the reception to ask for a panadol , I understand that they are not qualified to distribute & medicines & I totally understand that they wont take responsibility but what upsets me is the reception girl attitude of not caring, she simply just said basically they are not allowed to assist guest with this request & suggested that we go out of the hotel again ??, being in the service industry I am appalled at their response. Definitely change my mind about this hotel.
Ps please pack your basic headache pills

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
DoubleTreePenang, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Dear Kimmy M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review of your recent stay with us. Whilst I am happy to note that you were impressed with the service delivery shown by our team members at Makan Kitchen, I am disappointed to note that we have fallen short of your expectations in other areas. Kindly be assured that your remarks have been duly noted for future improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang with a better stay experience in future.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely new hotel and although there were a few bugs these were sorted out quickly. The staff were amazing and friendly. We stayed in the one bedroom executive suit on the luxury escapes deal and it was great value. The food is excellent and Horsey on front desk was a a great help. Recommend using TME for all transport/tours a lovely friendly service you can book through the front desk. Also the life guards are just wonderful and keep a really close eye on the kids. Great value food and drink wise for a Hilton. Will be back. Thanks for an amazing family holiday Double Tree Penang!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear Brenda S,

Thank you for leaving us with a great review. I am pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were impressed with our dining offerings at Makan Kitchen. I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang again soon.