Lone Pine Hotel(Batu Ferringhi)
US$111
US$101
Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa(Batu Ferringhi)
US$202
Hard Rock Hotel Penang(Batu Ferringhi)
US$170
US$139
US$134
US$120
PARKROYALhotels
Holiday Inn Resort Penang(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$87
HolidayInn.com
Bayview Beach Resort(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$69
D'Feringghi Haus(Batu Ferringhi)
US$60
Baba Guesthouse(Batu Ferringhi)
  • Beachfront
Bayu Emas Apartments(Batu Ferringhi)
  • Pool
Reviews (3 500)
3 500 results
1 362
1 288
1 362
1 288
All reviewsadventure zonegolden sandsgarden cafenight marketgolden circle membersea facing roompool areakids clubfamily resortlife guardsindoor playgroundrasa sayangwater sportsgeorge townhillview roomgurney plazalong beach
33 - 38 of 3 500 reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Overall I would Rate this hotel 6.5 out of 10. We had heard so much about it but sadly did not live up to its reputation.

+ good room with amazingly comfortable bed
+ good facilities for kids like kids zone indoor and kids club with daily activities scheduled.
+ 2 Water slides and splash zone with dedicated adult and kids zones pools .
+ good breakfast variety
+ good service in the breakfast area always had a seat available.
+ Right on the sea shore with plenty of watersports available at extra feet.
+ Adults activity schedule also available daily, yoga,water volleyball etc
- zero orientation given upon check in..Guests are left with no clue about what facilities the hotel has and left to figure it out for themselves.
- poolside bar and food service is very poor. Guests left waiting 20 minutes for service.
- frequent errors in the food and drink orders.
- Items not available on menus.
- Poorly trained staff
- despite paying for the use of all the facilities there are extra charges at adventure zone and you are expected to sit inside and wait for your child yet upstairs is a kids club where you can sign them in and collect them later????. Policys are lacking customer focus and common sense. At this particular occasion there were 3 staff behind the adventure zone reception and 3 crew members in the activities zone. Why do you need parents sitting there? Isn't that why we booked Golden sandals so kids have freedom and safety and parents can relax
- staff can be very cheeky with smart answers if they don't agree with your issue.
- next store is the RASA shangri-la which seems to be getting all the focus now
- Spoke with a couple who had been there 5 times before and said that service levels are in decline.

Pitty as it has a lot of potential but needs good management to turn it around. As Shangri-la goes its the worst I have stayed in .

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank robertkiely
SL_Penang1, Manager at Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear robertkiely,

Warmest greetings and thank you for sharing with us your recent Golden Sands Resort Penang's experience. I deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We appreciate your feedback and have taken it on a serious note with the intention to improve further. Guest experience is our priority and we sincerely apologize that it was not up to your standards. Rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the team who continually strive to further improve the services. It is our aim to provide hospitality at its best, I hope you will let us have another opportunity to serve your again in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

I have been to the Golden Sands over 10 times and excited to go back over the Christmas and New Year period this year! I have such fond memories here and Penang has now become like a second home to me and my family! We have shared so many wonderful memories at this resort! The thing that makes this hotel stand out is the excellent customer service from every single worker from bar staff to life guards! It has been a few years since I have returned to the Golden Sands however my father still goes at least once or twice a year! I cannot recommend this place enough to anyone that is wanting to stay at an amazing resort and make wonderful memories! I cannot wait to finally go back and show my partner a place that I hold dear to my heart! The hotel has many amenities and is great for a family or perfect for a couples get away. It is super family friendly which is why we originally why my parents starting coming here all those years ago! The buffet breakfast also is a highlight and has such a variety of delicious foods that cater to everyone! There is nothing negative that I can say about the Golden Sands! The hotel is also in a perfect location with access to the night markets as soon as you walk out of the hotel and has a strip of popular restaurants, bars and cafes. As well as, fast food outlets! Only a 20-30 minute taxi ride to get George town! Just perfect! I can't wait to return at the end of this year!

Room Tip: Best floor/rooms between 460-480 middle of floors sea facing
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Zoe M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor! We are pleased to hear that you had such fond memories time here and especially enjoyed your stay at Golden Sands Resort Penang. It was great to have you be with us and I will certainly share your kind compliments and review with our team. We certainly look forward to you and your family return. See you very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I was not very happy with the property for the price I paid.

It is an old property and very run down. The rooms have not been renovated and updated. Rooms are really small for the price you pay.

We were there for two nights during the Hariraya weekend and I will tell you we did not enjoy.

We had taken a deal which offered Breakfast and Dinner at the hotel, but being a vegetarian we had only fruits and potato vedges as the food options. The buffet has a big spread but close to nothing in vegetarian food.

The chef was sweet to make something for us vegetarian but not worth the price we paid for.

The overall feel and experience was really bad for us and doesn't match Shangri-La level.

I would not recommend people to stay.

They have an amazing pool and jacuzzi and the sea view rooms have balconies which offer a really nice view. These were the only two things that made me happy about my stay.

Room Tip: Pool view room and do for Executive and above room category as the rooms are really cramped.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
SL_Penang1, Manager at Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear 354shivaniv,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We regret to hear the inconvenience you had experienced at our resort during your stay and the comments have been highlighted to the attention of the respective departments for continuous improvement. Your feedback is valuable in our continual efforts to enhance our guests' experience and provide a memorable experience for our valued guests.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Great hotel and so family friendly and good for families with children
But the only thing i didn’t like about it ... the rooms were old but everything else was perfect... the hotel was near to mcdonald and kfc and the hotel itself has two restaurants one was by the beach and the price and the quality was good

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
SL_Penang1, Manager at Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear nakisa1986,

Thank you for staying with us and we are delighted to hear that you had a great time at Golden Sands Resort Penang! It was certainly a privilege to have you here and perhaps, during your next stay, you can check-in and check-out via the Shangri-La Mobile application for a more seamless staycation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

The hotel and staff are amazing the facilities are second to none as well as JJ from water sports company working in the hotel. Upon my girlfriend feeling ill we were constantly checked on by the hotel manager who could not do enough for us.

Best hotel I stayed at in my 3 weeks in Malaysia by a long distance.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chel19931

Dear chel19931,

Thank you for staying at Golden Sands Resort Penang! We are delighted to receive your compliments and happy hear that you enjoyed and had a wonderful stay at our resort. Providing excellent customer service is what we pride against and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience our hospitality at its best.