Reviews (6 050)
2 838
2 193
2 838
2 193
All reviews lagoon room free movies starz diner foam party kings club teens club direct access to the pool live band seaview deluxe room swimming pool kids suite water slides swim up bar night market great for kids great pool family hotel
383 - 388 of 6 050 reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2018

My family of 2 adults and 2 children stayed here in a Lagoon Room - these are the rooms that have direct access to the pool. I wanted this room for the fact that my kids who are 8 & 5 and are great swimmers could go straight into the pool and we didnt need to leave our room, we had 2 deck chairs right outside and it was just perfect, no moving of all our stuff down and finding a seat by the pool. This made for a very relaxing holiday. However there was an issue with this room which which I will get to further on.
The kids also used the Kids club on a couple of occasions when they didnt want to come shopping with us - they actually enjoyed being in there and the activities they had planned.
The food at the hotel was actually quite reasonably priced, pizzas and chips for the kids were able to be delivered to the room which made spending a day by the pool for us easy. To save money for us, my husband walked across the road to buy beers and potato chips etc.
The kids loved the slides and the large pool and so did we.
We were all very happy with the breakfast too - excellent selection and even a proper coffee machine we could use.
There was a free shuttle that took us up to the night market every night too. A free shuttle to Georgetown would of been some use too.
The bad stuff - well my husband and I hated the bed in our room, it was so hard ! We even asked the cleaners to add a topper but that didnt work, we were happy to wake up in the morning and get out of bed lol .
The bathroom was really tiny too, no more than one person at a time in there thats for sure.
Upon checking in, I was advised that only 1 rollaway bed was able to be placed in the Lagoon room due to space. Now my kids are 8 & 5 - to be honest the sleeping arrangements were a big problem for our holiday, as they didnt want to share most nights and ended up one having to sleep in our bed not much fun. And they also charge you for the rollaway bed - it should be complimentary!! The only room that you can fit 2 adults and 2 kids in comfortably is the Roxity Suite. There is no access to the pool from this room type. So its a bit of a trade off.....
I am in two minds as to whether I would stay here again. My rating reflects the hotels ability to have the kids entertained with the pool area and kids club.

Room Tip: Lagoon Room for direct access to the pool - but be careful if you have older kids for space.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Elisa_B
smehrhpg, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Dear Elisa_B,

Thank you for sharing your extensive review of your recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Penang.

Hard Rock operates with the mantra "Love All Serve All" and in that sense, the hotel is proud to be able to cater for families, honeymooners and conference guests alike. Great to know that you found the Lagoon Deluxe room to be ideal for your needs. Being able to access the hotel's extensive swimming pool directly from the room is a pretty cool experience, and allows for those quick dips whenever you feel like it.

Hard Rock Hotel Penang is proudly a family friendly hotel, and our kids amenities such as the Roxity Kids Club, Tabu Teens Club and of course our swimming pool with the fantastic slides and Kids Play Area is a great way to ensure your children remained entertained when you're in Penang!

Thanks also for your comments about the breakfast served. Our culinary team are always working hard to make sure our meals are of great quality and to everyone's liking.

As to the shuttle service, we offer the courtesy shuttle down to the markets each night, but there is also the hop on hop off and rapid bus services which run to Georgetown.

I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding the comfortability of our beds. Your comment has been shared with the Housekeeping Manager, and she will check the mattress personally to ensure it is up to standard. We use the trademark Hard Rock “Sleep Like a Rock” beds at the hotel, and usually they get excellent feedback.

Meanwhile, the bathrooms were kept smaller by design, to increase space in the rest of the guest room, but I am sorry you found it to be insufficient space.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another rockin’ stay soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2018

We went for a week with a big group of family including small children ages 2-4. The children loved the pools and flumes and enjoyed going to the kids club (but you must be out of nappies!). It was extremely busy and it turned out it was a school holiday in Malaysia. The queues for a table at breakfast were large and there were people checking in and out everyday. This lessened our experience somewhat so definitely check what public holidays there are in your destination country!

Room Tip: We had a Roxity Suite which was only a few pounds more per night than renting an extra bed for a child!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thanks for your feedback, Jesamineong!

We are delighted to hear that you and your family chose to stay at Hard Rock Hotel during your holiday in Penang. The hotel is regularly awarded as one of the best family hotels in Asia, and we are proud of the family friendly facilities and services that we offer.
Our monster swimming pool with the slides and kid's play area is always a hit with children, and make Hard Rock Hotel Penang the ideal family hotel destination.

My apologies if you found the hotel and breakfast area to be crowded during your stay. We do offer a Rock Royalty Lounge which can be a nice escape from the hustle & bustle of the hotel with just an additional top up to your room rate. Moreover, the hotel makes contingencies to reduce the congestion at breakfast, by opening our Pizzeria Restaurant as well, giving guests two options to enjoy their first meal of the day.

We can't wait to have you and your family as our guest again at Hard Rock Hotel Penang.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2018

I like to Hotel when I came on 2010. Where I checked in at the level King's Club. Front Office / bell service are excellent. welcome drinks served on a table nicely , neatly and properly.
That's why I planned to stay at this Hotel, but this time totally different experience.. I have to wait to bell service / to take my luggage in my car. and when I reached to the check in counter no greetings from the person in charge at the counter, no welcome drink (upon request) improper served - no good. Please improve

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear tengkuamir,

We love providing our guests with a terrific experience, so we apologize for falling short this time.

Your comment on the service provided through the Front Desk has been shared with the Front Office Manager. It is very unfortunate that you did not receive our usual rockin’ service at the Front Desk and I would like to apologize for the behavior of our team members. the Front Office Manager is now retraining the mentioned staff in the issues you raised, to ensure better, and more consistent service to our guests in the future. We have looked into this matter with urgency and apologise for the lapse in standards.

Offering a welcome drink is our standard practice, and guests who arrive early in the morning before the welcome drinks are prepared are given a voucher so they can grab one later on. I will do some investigation on why you didn’t receive yours.

Thanks for seeing the potential in us and for giving us room for improvement. We hope that we can welcome you back so that you can experience Hard Rock at its best.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed the weekend at HRHP and was not particularly impressed with the experience. For the money we’ve paid, I would have expected a more curated experience but we didn’t really see nor felt any more special than staying at Holiday Inn. It’s not all bad and they were a few things you got right. But let’s start with the bad:

1. We were told there will be welcome drinks upon arrival but we didn’t get any. We didn’t want to ask because we felt that the hotel needs to work hard to get the first impression right. Johan saved the day for being extra helpful and friendly upon our arrival but still, if you say you’re going to serve welcome drinks, make sure you serve it to all your guests.

2. Reception staff wasn’t approachable. He was too quiet for HRH material. He didn’t smile and didn’t look very happy to see us. Most of your staff are super upbeat and friendly, but not him. He seems a little arrogant which was off putting.

3. Breakfast, although a large spread, was not special. The usual eggs and sausages are pretty much standard hotel breakfast and I don’t see any effort in the buffet at all. Food was subpar to be honest and nothing really stood out for the money spent to have breakfast included in the room price. We also had the seafood buffet at night and we left extremely disappointed. Food was definitely not worth RM95 per person (you serve garlic fried rice for this price?) I’m afraid I’ve to say nothing was tasty.

4. Everything from the tubes to the bicycle has a rental fee. That surprises me completely. For the price your guests pay for the rooms and we still have to pay additional rental fees to use some of your facilities? Like I said, nothing special.

The good:
1. The room was spacious and extremely clean. The toilet was rather small but survivable. We especially appreciated the places to hang our wet clothes outside. The bed was comfortable and I’d say one of the better hotel beds we’ve slept on. Every night was a good sleep for us.

2. Good selection of free movies in the room tv. Would’ve appreciated a more exhaustive list rather than placing a Bose Bluetooth speaker and a DVD player in the room. Didn’t use it at all. The purple neon lights are cool but gets in the way when we’re watching the telly. Good selection of complimentary coffee and tea as well however, one big downside is that one of the cups and the electronic kettle were not clean properly. There were coffee stains present. It was rather disturbing. The reading light was not working either.

3. Overall customer service was generally slightly above average. I appreciated Johan’s friendliness and I thought that was the HRH experience but I guess your other staff could not sustain it. Service experience was lopsided. There were really good ones and really poor ones. I also appreciated that anyone I call from my room addresses me by name. That felt more personalized and shows that you guys pay attention to your guests. Unfortunately, this only happened once and other service touch points were detrimental.

4. Room service and other housekeeping request were quickly addressed and always met. Some hotels don’t really entertain additional shower gels or water bottles but I’m glad HRH were generous with this.

Overall, I’d say bring your money some place else. For a 5 star, there really is nothing special about being a HRH guest. You’d probably get better service for the same price at E&O.

We stayed as a couple from 14-16 of July.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PhilipL1591

Dear Philip,
Thank you for sharing your detailed and valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Penang.

We hope that you were able to utilize many of the facilities the hotel offers. The Front Office staff always try to make the check-in process as seamless as possible, and it’s our standard to offer all guests a welcome drink. Your feedback on this has been shared with the Front Office Manager who will do some follow-up training with the staff involved.

Your feedback about Johan, Room Service and Housekeeping staff has been shared with them personally, and all staff who get such mentions are always rewarded for their awesome service. All of them will be pleased to hear they made a difference to your stay.
It is very unfortunate that you did not receive our usual rockin’ service at our Receptions and I would like to apologize for the behavior of our team members. The Front Office Manager is now retraining the staff in the issues you raised, to ensure better and more consistent service to our guests in the future.

Your feedback on the breakfast served has been shared with the culinary team, and they are constantly working to improve the quality and quantity of food available in the buffet. As to the Seafood buffet, your comment has been noted by the Executive Chef and he culinary team will do the appropriate training to ensure better consistency.

Pleased to read that you found the room size and cleanliness was up to your expectation. Also, we are delighted to see you enjoyed the in-room entertainment that we offer. The beds that the hotel is equipped with are our unique "Sleep Like a Rock" beds, which are incredibly comfortable. It's great to see you were indeed able to sleep like a rock!

Apologies on some defects in the room. Your comment has been shared with the Chief Engineering and Housekeeping Manager concern and they take such feedback seriously to ensure that all in-house facilities are at top notch.

Once again thank you for your review, and we are saddened to see that our usual rocking hotel experience wasn’t what you got to enjoy. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel, and will certainly ensure you have a rock star experience next time.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2018

First time staying with HRH Penang and we booked the Lagoon Deluxe Room with a deck, direct access to the swimming pool. The experience we had here was simply amazing! Felt so welcoming the moment we arrived at the doorsteps, right from the bell counter to the reception. Breakfast was good, with different variation everyday. It took around half an hour to go to town, but it was convenient to hop on to taxi from the hotel. The hotel also provides shuttle service to the nearby night market, whereby there are many restaurants around there too.

Everything was good with this hotel and will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the end are better, quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eunice T

Dear Eunice T,

We are very glad to read that you and your significant other had such a rockin’ stay with us! The Lagoon Deluxe Room is one of our absolute favourites with the easy access to the pool for a quick dip at any given time!

We are pleased that we were able to deliver with excellence from your first step on the property. Our staff pride themselves on their dedication to guest service, and will be very pleased to know you appreciated their efforts.

Great to hear of the convenience that go with our location. With the bus stand right outside the hotel, you may also opt to hop on the 101 and 102 buses that head to town every 10-15minutes. Glad that you got to enjoy our shuttle services to the night market too!

Looking forward to welcoming you back for another swingin’ good time.
Kind Regards