“Five star food and ambience”
Review of Kinghams

Kinghams
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Shere
Price range: US$50 - US$79
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Kinghams situated in Shere offers imaginative cuisine in a 17th century setting. Creative use of high quality ingredients from local suppliers and farms. Artistic presentation, attention to detail and friendly, welcoming service. Kinghams offers a heated gazebo and al-fresco dining in the summer months.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We celebrated my birthday at Kinghams on Saturday. It is a olde worlde restaurant in lovely village of Shere.
We were greeted with a nice smile and our coats taken and shown to a table for two. Although the restaurant is small, the tables for two were positioned well and our conversations could not be overheard. For starters I had mussels in excellent wine sauce. My husband had asparagus which he said was also good. For the mains we chose duck breast which was sliced and in a cherry sauce and husband ate rib of beef cooked perfectly
for medium. When the bill came they did not charge for pre dinner glass of champagne and I also had birthday surprise with candle. The difference between other local restaurants and Kinghams is they have excellent Chef not a Cook. Unfortunately we do not live locally but will certainly make the effort to return. Staff were wonderful too. Everything 5 STAR.

1  Thank Peter B

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went there to celebrate a special occasion but were really disappointed with their food, especially the swordfish steak from the day's special. It was so fishy which I nearly vomited. I suspected the fish wasn't so fresh. Didn't complain as not to ruin the celebration. Frankly speaking, don't want to have swordfish since then. This can tell how bad the dish was. Overrated and definitely not recommended.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Since 1993 this restaurant is usually packed without discerning guests. The ambiance, service and food are always, without exception, of the highest standard. A firm favourite for many many years

2  Thank Sebmax
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had booked up for Sunday lunch and the booking experience was very good. My wife mentioned that it was my birthday and asked for a nice positioned table. Upon arrival we were given a table between the two dining areas. Fortunately there was a table free around the corner by the fire and so we moved there.

I will be very picky as we expected higher standards from reading previous reviews. The tables for two were tiny, barely enough room for two large plates, side plates and glasses. Perhaps cosy would be more appropriate. Kingham's only seats about 24 people tops and even still we were lucky that it was slowly emptying out and fairly quiet, otherwise having a conversation would have been impossible.

The service was acceptable and business like but we thought more of an effort could be made to show an interest in two new customers.

We had the duck and beef main courses and they were fairly generous and very well cooked. The price did not include vegetables which normally are elsewhere for example in gastro pubs.

So, the whole experience was not bad but could have been better, perhaps when dining ala carte it is better. But, for Sunday lunch we could have gone to the local gastro pub and had equally good food, better service and for less.

1  Thank Nick D
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went to kinghams with a friend today, the staff are absolutely delightful, from taking our coats to checking back to ask how we enjoyed our food, they were extremely attentive. I had the octopus and my friend had the scallops as a starter which were amazing. We then enjoyed the steak which was absolutely gorgeous and a larger version of the scallops starter at request. Then we had the chocolate tart with white chocolate ice-cream to finish while we drank our breakfast tea. We felt so relaxed and were not rushed at any point, I especially enjoyed the warmth and ambiance of the restaurant. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Jess B