Reviews (1 656)
1 656 results
All reviews samaki restaurant coco bar spices restaurant captain marco huge bath main restaurant stone town pool bar buffet style masai guards hakuna matata our honeymoon water aerobics all inclusive package evening entertainment prison island indian ocean
9 - 14 of 1 656 reviews
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

we arrived to the hotel at night, there was an auful smell of insect spray. a few moments after we entered the room we gfound a big scorpion next to the bad.
i have never been in africa before so i was overwhelmed and upset.
if you compare the hotel to greece for example it was not clean,didnt smell good , the food was avarege..but you just need to lower your expectations and understand that this is africa and this hotel is the best forand in africa.
tip- leave windows closed at all tiems and ask the hotel to not spray your room.
enjoyyyyyy zanzibar

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JuliaK6329
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Julia,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

I'm sorry that your stay didn't live up to your expectations or to ours. Unfortunately we have to spray once a month to keep the bugs to a minimum and at the moment every week for the mosquitoes until the season is over. The smell is unpleasant but disburses very quickly. However we don't spray in guest rooms, we leave insect spray for our guests to use or not, as they like and our balcony doors all have screens so that you are able to leave the windows open without risking critters coming into the room. I'm also sorry about the scorpion. I'm not aware that that has happened before and I can imagine how scary that would have been. I'm very sorry that was how your stay with us began.

Although we understand that we aren't a hotel in Europe, we do take pride in the cleanliness of the resort and rooms and I wish you'd brought your concerns to our attention while you were here as we would have been very happy to address them.

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Nungwi. Should you be returning, please feel free to contact me directly. It would be my pleasure to make sure your next stay in Africa was as terrific as it should be.

Reviewed 12 October 2018

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort is a great place to stay, both the venue and the staff are amazing. Everyone was so nice and friendly, more than any place we have ever been to.
Many activities and great food for everyone, our kids (7 to 17) enjoyed every minute of our stay there.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 178guest

Thank you so much for your brief but delightful review of your stay at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're thrilled to hear that your family enjoyed their stay so much and that it worked for your children as well, often our toughest audience! We post all reviews for our staff to read (in both English and Swahili) and I know that they will enjoy hearing that they made such a positive impact.

Thank you again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your vacation in Nungwi, we hope to be able to welcome you back in the very near future!

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Service was amazing the beach is clean swimming pools are wide and nice generally the food was not wow and I feel there a need of a lot of improvement was excited about the Swahili night but was disappointed too but a good place to relax massage was amazing

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Juzer,

Thank you for your brief but very nice review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful pools and that you were able to relax, one of the things we work hardest to make happen for every guest. The Spa Team was particularly happy to hear that your massage was "amazing"!

I am sorry you weren't wowed by the food. With such a diverse clientele, we work hard to offer a wide range of options in both items and preparation and I'm very sorry that it didn't hit the mark for you. We will continue to work on our offering.

Thank you for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

We spent last night at this fabulous hotel after a long journey from England.we are currently in Arusha about to go on 5 day safari and whilst looking forward to that, I am a!so looking forward to returning to the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort hotel.
We were lucky to be staying in an ocean view suite. Oh my goodness, how utterly luxurious it was! The bathroom is spacious and facilities separated, shower room, toilet and bidet round another corner and a lovely bath on it's own. Lovely comfy sofas and seats and a day bed on the balcony. Because we were only there for 16 hours in total we were not fortunate enough to make use of all facilities but the bed was soo comfy,the mattress is up there as being one of the best I have slept on.
The ocean view was divine, the numerous pools look inviting and the sand and beach looks like the ones you see in glamorous magazines.
The food last night was African and I can be quite fussy, but I am truly looking forward to experiencing it again when we re-arrive next Saturday.
Literally ALL the staff are extremely pleasant, friendly, welcoming and helpfull.
Basically, I think I am just repeating aforementioned reviews, but that just proves how good it really is. I am also lucky to have the booking because,after reading these reviews I was demoralised when trying to book, noone (Trivago, booking.com,hotels.com and Expedia) had availability including when I rang the hotel directly, but my man Jatin at Southall Travel who we booked flights with happened to obtain this booking for us(we booked 3 1\2 weeks ago. Will update again in 2 weeks time when it'll sadly be over!

Room Tip: 5 star quality
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tatty644

Thank you so much, what a beautiful review after such a short stay!

We appreciate your generous remarks regarding our wonderful ocean suites, gorgeous beach, terrific staff and of course those amazing mattresses, aren't they incredible?!

I truly hope that your return was just as fantastic and thank you again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

My husband and I recently had the most wonderful holiday at The Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel.
We had booked this holiday in celebration of our 40 th Wedding Anniversary and we had not been to Zanzibar before.
The journey to Zanzibar is a long and tiring one but my goodness , on arrival at this hotel the feelings of tiredness quickly disappear.
From entering the hotel reception area you are met by the most wonderful smiling staff, with greetings of “Jambo.
The view from the Makuti roofed reception down through the grounds is simply stunning! Beautifully tendered gardens with colours and flowers , trees , shrubs and water pools. This hotel accommodates approximately 200 people , but the spacious surrounds mean that you are never made to feel closed in .
There are 4 beautiful swimming pools with infinity views, or swim up bars , lots of space to sun oneself , a stunning beach with more than enough loungers for everyone with the most wonderful views of the white sand and the turquoise sea in front of you.
A beach bar that serves you all day with delicious cocktails and drinks.
A short walk brings you to the Coco bar and Samaki restaurant with seating right over the sea, it is simply the most fabulous place for breakfast or lunch serving lighter meals.
The main restaurant at the top end of the complex serves buffet style meals , salads , hot meals , desserts etc , is always of good standard . Smiley waiting staff greet you and attend to your needs.
During the week the restaurant is brought down onto the beach with a full barbecue dinner and live music , this is a truly special experience.
Also once a week the restaurant is focused around the swimming pools , so much food and staff attention to detail are given.
I must pay homage to ALL the staff at the hotel , from gardeners to cleaners , beach bar staff , restaurant staff and special mention to the Masai, who are on duty around the hotel and who add that real African feel to your holiday , they are super guys who really make you feel both welcome and safe.
We were very lucky to be in a ocean suite with the most perfect view of the beach , the sea and the fabulous sunsets , our anniversary stay was like a second honeymoon to us!
Our suite was spectacular , with a turn down service and it was kept spotlessly clean by the wonderful team of housekeepers.
In fact the bed was the most comfiest bed I have ever slept in on a holiday.
The hotel has a fabulous Spa , offering massages , facials etc , very good and attentive staff. Lots of choice for various packages .
Good entertainment in the evening supplied by local artists that was both interesting and fun.
Also a big mention to all the animation staff and Mr Juma, who offered activities like Botcha and water aerobics etc and also twice a week there is an accompanied walk into Nungwi village to see local schools , the village and the turtle sanctuaries, a great few hours discovering local life.
We walked every day for a few hours on the most stunning of beaches , the best I ever saw in my life , the sea was warm and inviting, so blue and you see right to the bottom.
There are numerous Masai along the beach who offer to accompany you or sell you some local wares , but a polite no and you are left alone.
They are great guys and there is a local Masai market should you wish to purchase things to take home.
We did a boat tour from the beach to swim with the wild dolphins , it was an amazing experience ( Capt Marco Polo) a first class service , so good in fact that we booked with them to visit Stonetown on a full day’s tour of the town , the spice farm and the prison island, fantastic !
This holiday was for us a time of relaxation, peace and discovery.
The staff made it all the more enjoyable for us.
Special mention must go to Mr Muru and Mr Seif, “Thank you “.
We cannot wait to come back to Zanzibar again , and enjoy this very special resort once more .

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jilly1958

Dear Jilly,

Thank you so much for your excellent and very detailed review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

What an absolute pleasure it was to read about your stay and enjoy our property through your eyes for a minute or two. We're very proud of the beauty of the facility as well as our wonderful staff! I love knowing that everyone from Gardeners to Security does everything they can to make our guests vacations better. Mr. Muru and Mr. Seif were also delighted to know that they had helped.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your 40th Anniversary. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon, although you really don't have to wait for another anniversary!