“Paradise found”

Little Corn Beach and Bungalow
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I wanted to write an honest review of Little Corn Beach and Bungalow... As I was thinking of how I would give my impressions from our experience I realised that what was in my mind was more akin to a love letter. If you read no further... let that sink in.
I had been considering Little Corn for some time. Most of my travel had been in and around Honduras and I was looking to branch out to a new location that had good diving. I was first attracted to LCBB while googling places to stay and landed on their website...I was immediately drawn in by their candid and humorous honesty about their resort and life in general on Little Corn. Please read it and take it to heed... They are doing their absolute best to prepare you for the experience of the island. Ultimately, they wish you to be happy, even if that means that you chose to stay elsewhere. After having our own experience and stay with them however, I believe they sell themselves short by a good margin. What they have done with their place is nothing short of amazing.
We stayed for 9 days. August 6 - 15 in the Wilson bungalow. The service was impeccable. The way the cabins have been planned and engineered for comfort and convenience was outstanding. The cleanliness was the first thing we noticed. The cabins inside and out, look like they were built yesterday. The lower King size bed was roomy and comfortable and the upper loft bed slept both of our children at 11 and 14 years of age in comfort. The staff that cleans your room daily spend considerable time actually deep cleaning your room and each day felt like a brand new start. The cabins are designed to have a rustic feel, yet still contain the comforts of a modern build. An elegant bathroom and shower, mini fridge tucked away in a cabinet. Plenty of pegs to hold towels or swimware. Strategically placed fans and light switches to enhance your comfort at night. There is no air-conditioning... However, with the way the cabins were designed to make use of an ample ocean breeze they are not necessary. We slept in comfort nightly. The grounds and beach are manicured throughout the day and stay looking fresh. The staff look for any occasion to go out of their way to increase your enjoyment and are completely approachable and friendly. The entire staff addressed me by name from day one and by the end of our stay I was endeared to each one of them. The area in front of the bungalows are perfect for spending the day in a hammock reading a book or having a cocktail or three. Palms and trees shade the area before the beach enough that you can enjoy the sun without fretting over sunburns etc... And is also a perfect and safe place for children to stretch their legs and play without having to be micro managed for safety sake. The beach is steps from your front porch and offers plenty of opportunities for kayaking, snorkeling, swimming or just splashing about and any equipment you need to do so is on-site and well maintained. LCBB is approximately an easy, slow paced 10 minute walk from town. After a rain this walk can be muddy but a beach awaits you on either end to wash away the path from your feet. Bring a good flashlight if you plan on being in town after dark. The walk back is very dark but never once did we feel even remotely unsafe and we made multiple trips daily and nightly for scuba diving and to explore. Those are really the only reasons to leave... Otherwise the resort is completely capable of being the only place you see until you check out. Especially if one partakes of the RADDEAL which for a small charge grants you not only 2 meals a day in their absolutely fantastic and defying description restaurant but many many other perks and discounts as well and it's well worth the small upcharge as it ultimately saves you money. The resort itself is a relaxed and quiet atmosphere. People eating, conversing and having a good time and by 9pn is very laid back and serene, which we enjoy. Time for sitting outside and enjoying the breeze or a night walk down a deserted beach counting crabs and lamenting that you only have so many days left in this little paradise.
I was fortunate enough to have a couple of candid conversations with one of the owners. He is a gregarious and humble soul who puts his heart and sweat (as does his wife) into their place and into the island in general. While some would be stressed enough with the day to day running of an operation in Central America... They also have many hands in the conservation of water, refuse management as well as the health of the many island animals and dogs in the vicinity. In short, they see the bigger picture beyond their business and that is truly refreshing and admirable.
If this still seems like a love letter, it's because it truly is. In 9 days we felt "attached" to this place. Not because of its beauty, nor the diving but because it felt like..."home" . The staff like friends or family. Our mantra is that there are many wonderful places in this world. Far too many to get stuck in a rut or keep returning to the same place over and over... So please do not take it lightly when we say "We most certainly will return to LCBB". Such a beautiful and well run place. Do yourself a favor and dont take my word for it. You owe it to yourself to experience it for yourself. You will be happy that you did.

Room Tip: the Gulliver class rooms have solar power to help with times the electricity is off on the island
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank RobertCrockett
noplansnoreserve, General Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Hi Robert,

It was a pleasure having your group stay with us. Our hearts swelled with happiness when we read your "love letter". Our staff and all of us here at Little Corn Island Beach and Bungalow have one common goal . . . to make everyone's experience as memorable as yours was! We are honored and humbled by your description of your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share it with others. We do hope to see all of you back again very soon. Kindest regards.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

It was a perfect stay at beach and bungalow. The cabana is beautiful and very clean. The place is beautiful with all the trees, hamacs, long chairs and the beautiful beach right on the site. And of course, the staff is so helpful and so friendly! We were with our three months baby and they were very accommodating with us. :)

For sure we would like to go back!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
noplansnoreserve, General Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

We are so glad you found Little Corn Beach and Bungalow. It was truly a pleasure having your family here staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, our staff very much appreciates it. We hope that you do come back, we love families, we love kids and we love the aura they bring to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

We stayed at LCBB for 3 nights in July and couldn't have been happier. The standard bungalow was just perfect for our family of four, the staff were committed to good service & met all of our needs. The restaurant was superb (some of the best food we've EVER had- including here in the states), snorkeling with Elvis was a great time too. From our bungalow we could easily walk any beach (although swimming right there was fine too). We recommend the RADD deal.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

We have the RADD deal available as an option for our guests to give a better overall deal/value and let us focus on making their stay "Great . . . ". We hire and train only Nicaraguan's in general but also in the kitchen. Our island cooks become very talented over time at putting together tasty, consistent and satisfying food. When we all hear "some of the best food we've EVER had-including here in the states" it brings a collective smile to our faces. Thank you so much for the kind review! Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

From the moment we arrived on Little Corn, our stay was perfect. We were greeted at the boat dock by a young man you got our luggage and led us to LCBB. Upon our arrival we were given the best Pina Colada of our lives and snack to recuperate from the epic adventure it took to get there. Our cabana was well appointed with fans, mosquito net, sliding doors that could be opened for even more breeze, and a foot wash. We had everything we needed and were even supplied with snacks and water. We ate at the restaurant often and drank many margaritas! They are delicious! The beach is right outside your door and they even have a floating dock you can hang out on.

Room Tip: Get a cabana
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie B
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Hi Stephanie,
Thank you so much for the wonderful description of your experience with us. Our goal of course, is to make every moment you spend with us, from Dock back to Dock a memory of a lifetime (with a great Pina Colada and Margarita thrown in too). We hope to see you back some day soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Loved this place. As advertised, if not better.

Gorgeous location, wonderful bungalows, friendly professional helpful staff, well-run, world-class food and drinks, authentic/charming rather than corporate, excellent value for money.

Details below if you want to read more...

Setting/Location:
White sand, palm trees, cute well-designed structures, hammocks, beach chairs, peaceful.

The island overall is relatively unspoiled/not overdeveloped. Love that there are no motorized vehicles on Little Corn.

Fun adventure getting to/from the island via panga boat. Choppy on way over, smooth but cramped on way back.

I am a Kiwi who is a world traveler and lived in NYC for 20 years and consider myself relatively adventurous and street-smart...and as a solo female unfortunately I did not feel secure when I walked back from the village alone at dusk. I didn't attempt it after dark. I originally booked LCBB when I thought I had a travel companion joining me. I still think it's worth staying at LCBB as a single but just keep in mind it may limit you wanting to explore the bars/restaurants in town at night. The setting and food/drinks at LCBB are so good that you don't really need to go anywhere else anyway.

Note LCBB is on the windy side of island, which was good to keep heat down while I was there, but the wind makes the water less crystal clear compared to beaches up by Yemaya resort (Yemaya looked lovely but has a more corporate feel, and was relatively overpriced for the average food I had there for lunch. Drinks were twice the price of other places too).

No bugs at LCBB when I was there. And only saw a couple of mosquitoes.

Room:
I had one of Beachfront Master Suite Gulliver bungalows for 3 nights and I loved it. Authentic/Cute/Charming and very well appointed with everything I needed and more.

Helpful booklet in room about the island/LCBB. Complimentary snacks/water in room. Plenty of storage, furniture, hooks, shelves, safe.

It was worth paying the extra to have the backup power kick-in while the village power is off 6am-1pm. I also opted for the RADD deal which was great.

Food and drinks:
Amazing food. Best breakfast. Great dinner. So impressed with the cooking, ingredients, and flavors. Compliments to the chef.

Great waitstaff.

Tables are either up on deck of open-air restaurant or down on the sand. Romantic setting.

And a special mention...I don't usually like Pina Coladas in general. Too sweet and syrupy and blah. But the Pina Coladas here are to die for! The best on planet earth. They gave me a sample at check-in and I had to keep ordering them during my stay as they were divine. Fresh toasted coconut. Magic. I read one woman's review afterward on TripAdvisor that said she lays awake at night dreaming of the Pina Coladas here. She's right!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Ahhh, music to our ears " . . . Pina Coladas here are to die for! The best on planet earth." If we could only describe the hours upon hours we spent in the LCBB research bar coming up with the original recipe :) We offer the only truly frozen (not blended) Pina Coladas, Frappacino, Margaritas and Mud Slides that we know of on the island.

We made a conscious choice years ago to hire only island resident Nicaraguans at the hotel and Turned Turtle Restaurant. We believe we should give back as much as possible to the community and by employing only islanders we are providing stable jobs to many hard working folks. Our cooks for instance have typically never worked in a restaurant before. They trust us when we teach them, they diligently follow our recipes and cook from the heart. Thus, most of the time our food gets wonderful reviews.

When you stay with us, you are helping us do our part to be a positive part of the island and we and our 22 staff members very much appreciate it!

Please come see us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Corn Island
17.0 km away
La Princesa de la Isla
La Princesa de la Isla
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!