All reviewsenglish schoolfishing boatsmain beachlocal fishermencharity schooldrying fishboutique hotelde mersmall baybeautiful gardenplaying footballhotel ownersideal choicebeach frontevery morningabsolute paradiseeight days
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Yoma for 5 nights after a two weeks trip in myanmar. After a lot of visiting it was very relaxing to just sit on the beach, swim in the sea and enjoy the magic view.

The best part of the hotel is its location in a creek apart of the big resorts on the main beach. Locals come, go fishing and are also swimming with you in the sea. The wonderful umbrellas give a unique touch to the hotel.

The breakfast is served at the table and is excellent (eggs cooked as you wish, pancakes, local fish soup, fried rice, homemade bread...). The restaurant is also good and cheap compared to other hotels but more expensive as if you go to local restaurants. Local restaurants are a bit apart but you can easily catch a cheap touktouk (2000K) just in front of the hotel.

The rooms are big, clean and well decorated. We just had a noisy ventilation in our bathroom which was a little bit annoying. The garden is well taken care of.

The massages are nice and are again cheap compared to other hotels. I tried the face massage including face wash with the famous tanakaw and I enjoyed it.

Furthermore, it was my boyfriend's birthday when we arrived and the hotel offered us a bottle of sparkling wine and a piece of fruit cake.

To summarize I would recommend this hotel to a couple for a romantic stay. The employees are all very friendly, helpful and speak a perfect english. (The hotel management is also running a school where local children can learn English for free, so this might explain why their English is so good)

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank 900marieeves
Yoma_Cherry_Lodge, General Manager at Yoma Cherry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Thank you very much for your review, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here. I checked that you stayed in room 7 and that the extractor fan in the bathroom was making a noise when you switched it on. It was reported and fixed. We sincerely apologize for this. We do hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

A very nice hotel with friendly staff and excellent food. The room are large and comfortable.
The hotel does not have a pool but this is no problem as it is on the beach and you can swim directly in front.
Not being on the main Ngapoli beach it is a lot quieter and away from all the new building that is going on.
Get up early (6h00) and watch the local fishing boats landing their catch of Anchovies.
A great place to relax for a few days.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew K
Yoma_Cherry_Lodge, General Manager at Yoma Cherry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Thank you very much for your review, which we, the Yoma Cherry team greatly appreciate. We are so very pleased that you enjoyed your time here, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I had known sue, who manages Yoma Cherry because I sponsor children in connection with her charity school. My room was spacious with lovely teak flooring, pristine whie bathroom and extremely comfortable super king bed. There is 24 hour air conditioning and wifi in the rooms. The restaurant overlooks the beach and the food is delicious and reasonably priced. All the staff speak good English, most of them having attended Sue's school. They always smile and make you feel welcome. I also enjoyed a couple of massages at the spa, really excellent. I would return here at the drop of a hat! Sue and her husband are very hospitable and always find time to talk to their guests. The hitel has its own bus which picks you up and ferries you back to the airport.

Room Tip: I preferred a room overlooking the garden but sea inew rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Anne B
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Third year coming here, all in October, and I hope to continue this ritual holiday for at least a few more years. The grounds are excellently tended, the staff extremely attentive and friendly, and the beach is sublime!
Between two longer, more developed beaches, this bay is the best by far in my mind. A negative (there's always one...) is that the villagers, while very nice, enjoy tossing their trash onto the beach, or into the sea; mostly cans and bottles. This apparently gets somewhat cleaned up come high season (November), yet it shouldn't happen: locals 'crapping' where they eat, so to speak.
Sue, the manager at Yoma, has educated extensively on this, yet old habits die hard...

Room Tip: $10 more for a second-storey room is worth it, though ground floor is very nice too!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerry L
Yoma_Cherry_Lodge, General Manager at Yoma Cherry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Thank you very much for your review which the Yoma Cherry team really appreciates, as we all want you to have a good time. Our beach is cleaned daily, but as in most developing countries, the locals do drop the rubbish. As well as managing Yoma Cherry, I also run a charity school, and each Sunday some students, teachers and I collect trash in different parts of the village, and on the beach. On a voluntary basis this is a way to clean, educate and change. We are the Ngapali Trash Heroes and the students are very keen to keep their village and beach clean.
We all at Yoma Cherry are so happy to see you return year after year.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

I visited this hotel with my parents; and I have to stay that I am really missing it a lot already.

To start with the rooms; we were in the upstairs garden room. It was really lovely indeed, a perfect size with nice high ceiling. The toiletries were great addition; and the balcony with even a rack to dry clothes made the room feel really spacious. Activities and information pack provided, along with neatly folded beach towels. When I arrived, all I wanted to do was to get to the beach.

Personally I enjoyed the room being set back a little way from the beach, about a 20 metre walk down a well manicured path to the beach hut/restaraunt area. Down there, they have sun loungers which look out over the sea and the fishermen and their boats and the kids playing football. And the sea, well it's lush and warm and the sand is soft.

It's possible to eat outside or inside in the lovely wood panelled building, all of which is upkept with real attention to detail and hasn't succumbed to the rainy climate like a lot of other wooden buildings in Myanmar. Food and drinks menu is nice and diverse, and staff are absolutely excellent. Well everyone here is nice, and also the manager Sue who seems to know about everything going on in the local community and in Myanmar...a real font of knowledge.

Well anyway, I definitely plan on coming back here in the future, either with my parents or a future girlfriend. Truly an incredible place, one of the best beach resorts and definitely best in Myanmar.

A few possible improvement points to make this place perfect.
1. A kettle/better tea facilities in the room
2. A local flavoured ice-cream rather than just chocolate and vanilla (i.e. papaya?)
3. Teach waiting staff to make basic cocktails even if there is no bartender -- a pina colada is only one step away from the great milkshake they made me
4. Use the foot scraper for dry skin as part of pedicure session

But honestly...I am just nitpicking here, because his place is frankly amazing and you will love it here and be missing it deeply when you've left.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Tom L
Yoma_Cherry_Lodge, General Manager at Yoma Cherry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review, and we all at Yoma Cherry Lodge, are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here. Everyone really tries their utmost to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Later this month every guest room will have a kettle, so that it is more convenient. Apologies if the pina colada was not up to scratch, and we have taken your comment on board, and will do some more training with our new staff on making cocktails. We do have three barmen who make super cocktails, but there is always room for improvement with new staff. Our icecream is homemade, so we will try out some new flavours. We continually try to improve our service and facilities.
We hope that you will return one of these days, and you can be sure of a very warm welcome. Once again we appreciate you writing the review.