23 people are viewing this hotel
travelup.comUS$431
Lol.travelUS$568
Reviews (1 547)
1 547 results
All reviews swell bar pool area waikiki beach beautiful hotel kids pool ocean view lobby bar across the street abc store hot tub small bathroom pool staff guest services we loved our stay diamond head oceanfront room oceanarium
Selected filters
757 - 762 of 1 547 reviews
Reviewed 10 March 2019

I was staying at the Alohilani in February of 2019 for a work conference. My phone was left behind in a closed banquet hall where I was with work colleagues and hotel staff. Shortly after leaving, I realized my phone had been left behind. I notified the front desk that evening and they said hotel policy is for cleaning staff to turn the phone into security and I should back in the morning after the hotel had been cleaned for the night. However, to no avail, the phone had not been turned in the next day.

Later that afternoon around 2pm, I get an email from my icloud account saying my iphone has "been found"... the phone was pinging to a location outside of waikiki. I called the phone, it rang and rang (insead of going to voicemail like it had earlier). I was now in an uber on my way to the location of the phone. I arrived, and found that it was pinging to a storage unit 2 miles outside of waikiki. I called again a second time, and the phone went to voicemail, and as I'm standing in the stoarage unit, it stops pinging the phone. Meaning the phone was in the building at the same time as I was standing in, and whoever had it, was clearly not intending on returning it. The storage unit staff would not help without contacting the police first, so I did. I notify the police who decide to investigate.

Mind you, my work colleagues and I are all visiting Hawaii, none of us are renting a storage unit, and they were the only other ones who couldve have access to my phone.

I notified the hotel manager upon return that I believe a hotel employee may potentially have taken the phone instead of returning it (because I had no plausible explaation as to how the phone was at a storage unit), and asked if they'd be willing to review their security footage. Jenny, the hotel manager said she would get back to me...the day went on, and I did not hear back from the hotel manager.

Having realized the phone was taken by someone from the resort and was pinging to a storage unit, I changed the original message which stated "cash reward for this phone if found" to something along the lines of "this phone is stolen, please return immediately."

The following day at 630am, my boyfriend gets a call to his cell phone from someone stating that they "found the phone, and would return it if they could get the cash reward." This person was in the hotel, on their way up to our floor, which is odd given there are two different towers in this hotel and I don't know how he knew which tower we were in. He asked for the exact room number. Within seconds a man arrives at the door.

I asked him who he was, he stated his first name. He hands me my phone, and the cover is missing, the glass screen protector is missing, and the sim card has been removed...I asked him who he is and how he found the phone. The man is clearly nervous and delays answering questiosn with "uhhh, uhhhh". I keep asking him, and he states he found the phone 2 nights ago while cleaning (the night the phone went missing!).... and then he still had the nerve to ask me for a cash reward. What kind of hotel employee request a cash reward for a stolen item?!??

I went downstairs and notified the new hotel manager who said he will look into and get back to me... and the morning progressed, and he did not get in touch with me.

I also notified the police that this phone has now been returned since the police report had been filed, and I'm not even more concerned, because clearly this person tried to steal the phone (why else remove the sim card, cover and protector). Also, why put it in a storage unit?? Are there other stolen goods there?? I also googled the number this hotel employee called us from and was able to get his last night from a simple search. I notified a 3rd hotel manager at this point, as the overnight manager had left. Guess what they said?? "We'll look into it, and get back to you"

I literally managed to do most of the heavy lifting in locating my phone, this person states he is a hotel employee, confirmed that he "found my phone" 2 nights prior when cleaning, and clearly did not follow hotel policy to return all lost valuables to security, instead, took out my sim card, cover and protector and had it sitting in a storage unit 2 miles from the hotel. Clearly this person had intended to sale this phone as a new phone....

At no point did hotel management call me back. That was my day of departure and I asked for an update and the best they could tell me was "it is a person who works for a 3rd party vendor for cleaning our hotel..."

This is $1000 phone. This is the equivalent of taking a watch, jewelry or any other valuable item. They stated they were going to open an internal investigation.

I find it absurd that at a "5-star" resort in Hawaii something like this could happen, but I find it even more absurd that this hotel did not take ownership and were not proactive about communicating with me. Transparency with your customers should be a priority, especially when it comes to criminal activity on your hotel property by a hotel employee.

DO NOT STAY HERE!! There are a lot of options to stay in Waikiki, there is no need to stay at a hotel where you can't rely on the staff to not steal your stuff (3rd party vendor or not). Also, the hotel managers did not call back or update me at any point as they said they would. They even took my cell phone number, but not once did they call. I literally spent almost 1.5 days of my trip dealing with this. This was meant to be a relaxing business trip, instead, I'm trying to figure out how and why a hotel employee stole my phone. If I had not gone after the phone myself or inquired further, it seems they would not have even bothered and hope to sweep this under the rug.

ABOUT THE HOTEL ITSELF:
-small pool and 1 hot tub which is a insufficient size for the number of guests this accommodates, gets very crowded fast
-extremely expensive drink and food at the pool compared to other pool bars in the area. Talking ~$15 for one mai tai.
-very, very loud!! our initial room was on the 9th floor, not even directly facing the pool, (which is open from 6am to 10pm) and music is on always, so afternoon naps are hard to come by. Music was literally blasting into the room at 6am. They did give us a quieter room on the backside of the hotel eventually, which I appreciate.

The only pro about this place is the Morimoto restaurants, but you dont need to stay at the hotel to eat here. Just call and make a reservation on your own. You don't need to go through the hotel concierge to manage to get a table. The location is close to the beach... but then again, so are all of the waikiki hotels.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Atlas236
AlohilaniMgmt, Public Relations Manager at 'Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2019

Aloha Atlas236,

I appreciate you providing your honest feedback in regards to your recent stay. Furthermore, I would also like to thank you for giving me the time to personally address and investigate your case upon your departure. We were able to address the findings with our service provider and followed up with our own staff internally – which was communicated to you. Given our final discussion and exchange of agreement, I had the impression we successfully addressed your concerns and this incident. If necessary, please feel free to reach me through a direct message or via the phone number we exchanged in person.

Mahalo,
Adrian Perez
Director of Front Office

Reviewed 9 March 2019 via mobile

My wife and I travelled from Australia for our fourth trip to Hawaii and the Alohilani was our favorite hotel of all our trips. The rooms were spacious and beautifully appointed. Location was perfect and the service from everyone was first class. We will definitely be coming back.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
AlohilaniMgmt, Front Office Manager at 'Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2019

Aloha!

Mahalo for choosing 'Alohilani for your recent stay in Honolulu! We greatly value your feedback and are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience in your room and with our staff. It was a pleasure to host you. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out if we can be of any help in planning your next trip to Honolulu!

Mark Oriol
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 9 March 2019

Alohilani is a great hotel to stay in Waikiki. I have stayed in many hotels and I can assuredly say that this is the first time that I slept comfortably and used the washroom without total scorn. I was able to put my clothes in the closet, sit on the balcony and use the table in the nook. The property is well kept and staff are extremely polite ans helpful. Affordability could be an issue but if you can stay at this facility you will enjoy your stay in Waikiki!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aloha!

Mark Oriol
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 8 March 2019

We started our babymoon with 3 nights at this wonderful hotel. We landed on a Friday evening and took an uber to the hotel. Even with rush hour, it just took a little over half an hour. The location is great. Just a block from the beach with great food and shopping all around. Upon entering the hotel, the lobby was very impressive. Ami, one of the managers on duty, checked us in. She was very sweet, but yet professional. She found out we were in town for our babymoon and upgraded us! We were in room 1767. It's a corner room where you can get the ocean AND mountain view. It was breathtaking. If at all possible get this corner on any floor. Also after a few minutes of getting into our room, a plate of fruit and macaroons were sent up to congratulate us on the baby! The treatment was completely first class here.

They also give you water pouches that you can fill with water at any of the water stations in the lobby. But if you find a need to get any snacks or drinks for the room there are dozens of ABC stores within a block of the hotel. Marukame Udon is also about a 5 minute walk away. A must try. There's usually a line wrapped around outside, so it's hard to miss. Also, we rented a car once we arrived from the Avis location at the international market shopping area a couple blocks away. Self parking at the hotel is $35/day, so if you just need a car for the day you can pick up early in the morning and return the rental car in the evening to avoid the parking fee at the hotel. The Avis mentioned has a very late return time, but I would recommend prebooking a car. We went during low season and lots of people were turned away at check-in who did not have reservations.

Great start to a wonderful trip!

Room tip: 1767 or any room on this corner.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
AlohilaniMgmt, Public Relations Manager at 'Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2019

Aloha lilaggie02,

Mahalo for choosing 'Alohilani for your recent stay in Honolulu, for you and your family. We greatly value your feedback and are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience, from Ami helping you to how you feel "first class" here. It was a pleasure to host you. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out if we can be of any help in planning your next trip to Honolulu!

Guest Services

Reviewed 8 March 2019 via mobile

This is a lovely, recently updated hotel with a modern vibe in the heart of bustling Waikiki. The rooms were nicely appointed and very clean. Housekeeping does a really nice job always. The views of the beach and Diamond Head are wonderful.

I was truly impressed by the quality of the food (and I’m a *really* tough critic, particularly when it comes to dining). We ate at O Bar almost exclusively when we ate at the hotel (our two year old loved the oceanarium), and whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner every meal was absolutely delicious. Fresh ingredients, immaculate preparation, and good service always had us looking forward to our next meal there. I highly recommend the kale chicken Caesar. We had it everyday for lunch.

Where this property really shines, though, is its staff. From the moment we arrived, we found the staff at Alohilani to be truly exceptional. They are consistently warm, welcoming, professional and effective. Of course, even in a group of this caliber, there were standouts. Without question, the one who made our stay so special and left us with such warm memories of Alohilani, was Eddie at the Bell Desk. We travel a lot and almost exclusively stay at five star properties, and yet we cannot remember another hotel employee who went so far above and beyond his job than Eddie. Somehow from check-in through the duration of our stay, Eddie made us feel like we were his personal guests. He was at once our bellman, our concierge, our local friend with all the great inside knowledge of the city, and even someone we could count on to help us wrangle our VERY active toddler. For example, one night at dinner as my husband and I were lamenting not being able to eat our entrees because we were constantly having to run off to chase the baby, here came Eddie, on his way out for the night after finishing his shift, who scooped the little one up and started cheerfully bouncing him and distracting him so we could eat in peace for a few minutes. (Incidentally, our toddler found Eddie so endearing he’s been asking for him ever since we left.) Just when we didn’t think Eddie could possibly do any more for us, he even went so far as to call some of his contacts at the next hotel on our Hawaii itinerary to ensure that when we checked in there we would be well taken care of. He was undoubtedly the highlight of our trip, and we were truly sad when it was time to say goodbye.

Additionally, Jill, one of the hotel managers was wonderful about fixing any of our concerns, and Guillermo at O Bar is a gem of a man who always took great care of us and made us feel special. The ladies who run O Bar for breakfast are also lovely. We miss their smiles already!

We would like to extend a huge thank you to Eddie, Jill, Guillermo and the rest of the staff at Alohilani for making what was to be essentially a short stopever stay, into a trip that we will never, ever forget.

Mahalo.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
AlohilaniMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at 'Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2019

Aloha Lauren,

Mahalo for choosing 'Alohilani Resort for your recent stay in Honolulu. It was a pleasure to host you. I'm glad to hear that our staff provided exceptional service and that you had a pleasant stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will pass this on to our Team. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out if we can be of any help in planning your next trip to Honolulu.

Solomon Kaimimoku