All reviews kuhio street small shower the main hotel front desk staff business trip walking distance to the beach pool and hot tub royal hawaiian bus stop nice balcony parking fee directly across the street staff was very friendly and helpful central location up to date business center two blocks
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Spent seven nights at the Marriott. I was able to check early, corner room on level 9 overlooking the pool, very happy with the room. Located a few blocks to the beach, bus stop and trolley stops at the front door you could not ask for a better location. Friendly and helpful staff, constant updates on the hurricane, lovely pool area and great little bar. All in all very happy with the Mariott.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Departure640257
Wcourtyard, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Aloha,

We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and liked our great location and helpful staff members. We hope you return again soon!

Reviewed 31 August 2018

The Studio room was pretty much an efficient size for a solo traveler (would have been a bit snug for 2 people with luggage). Bathroom was rather small, and as many have already commented, the walk-in shower even smaller (it took a long time for the water to heat up... But with humid conditions of August in Honolulu, having cold showers wasn't that bad). Bed was comfortable and clean, but with such thin sheets, the A/C nearby sometimes made sleeping a bit too cool for comfort. Noise-wise, I could hear my neighbors on both sides of my room, and while I wasn't on the Kuhio Avenue side of the building, my side had its share of street sounds for early morning wake-up calls. Did not use the pool, spa, nor the restaurant (see below). Ice machine is located on the 2nd floor (you have to take the South hallway door, and go outside to use the machine). While the Lobby level areas appeared to be quite new, and the hotel rooms quite clean, the place does have a bit of a "in need of refurbishment" feel to it, as many have said.

Now, an explanation of why I gave this hotel 5 Stars, instead of 3 or 4:

I originally was in Waikiki for a convention, which unfortunately ended up getting cancelled on the day the approaching Hurricane Lane was downgraded into a tropical storm. My main reasons for choosing this hotel (apart from being a Marriott property) was the easy bus access to the Hawaii Convention Center, as well as close proximity to the Waikiki shops, restaurants, and beaches, and the reasonable hotel rates (with auto club discount). Upon arrival, the check-in staff was completely up front about the hotel services that would not be available because of the approaching hurricane, mainly no housekeeping for 2 days and the on-property restaurant closed until further notice, out of concern for the safety of the employees. All pool furniture was stored away, and my room's balcony chairs and table were also moved inside (next to my bed). In the lobby, there was a bulletin board explaining the current status of the approaching storm, and until the day after the hurricane warning was lifted, printed-out storm updates were slipped under my door every morning. Watching from my balcony, I saw one of the staff doing a visual check from the ground level to see if any furniture was still out on the upper floors (which could become dangerous debris in a hurricane). I also noticed that the properties surrounding this hotel had a lot of their balcony furniture still out on the windward sides of the buildings... All in all, I was very impressed with the way the hotel staff put safety first during this storm situation, and kept us visitors informed.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Khyron82

Aloha Khyron82,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate the kind note regarding the storm situation. We're very glad to hear you appreciated the way our great staff members handled the situation.
We hope to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 29 August 2018

The rooms that our families stayed are spacious, very clean and nicely decorated. This hotel is located near Waikiki main strip and within walking distance to the beach. Also near the shopping plazas. Our families really enjoyed staying there caused it’s the busiest area and very convenient to get to nice restaurants. All the staffs are nice and friendly.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank aung1myint
Wcourtyard, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Aloha aung1myint,

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and liked our friendly staff members, spacious rooms and convenient location. We hope to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 20 August 2018

The hotel is very well located near all the restaurants, commercial areas and the beach.
Perfect for those who like to be in less crowded places than large resorts.
The hotel needs renovation since it is old and can be refreshed a bit.
The rooms are comfortable but old as well as the bathroom.
The restaurant is small and does not look good so do not encourage me to visit.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald N
Wcourtyard, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Aloha Ronald N,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad you liked our great location and comfy rooms. We hop to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

I stayed at this location for 3 nights and today I am checking out in a couple of hours. This has to be the worst Courtyard Marriot I've ever stayed at and I've always been happy with this chain of hotels.

Noise - The hotel is VERY NOISY!. It seems that there was not effort at all to make this hotel at least soundproof to a certain extent. I am on the fourth floor and I can hear each and every car, truck, bus that goes through and the traffic runs all night!. I saw ear plugs in the room and that should have been a sign but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and used them. Even with the ear plugs, you still can hear a lot of traffic noise. I had requested well in advance for higher floors but when I got here my room supposedly on the 10th floor was not going to be ready until after 6:00pm. Online when I checked in through the app, it said room will be ready at 4:00pm. It wasn't. So for those of us who cross 5 time zones to be here, you can be sleep deprived at night because of the noise level.

Comfort - The hotel beds are average in comfort but the rooms and bathrooms are small and the showers are extra small.

Service - I had to get the housekeeping folks to bring supplies like lotion etc. on 2 occasions. The front desk does not have a concierge and so any question you have or info I need, I had to join the line and wait with checkin customers. Also on several occasions, the staff didn't seem to know the answers, so I had to figure out myself and for a location such as this one, they should be a well staffed concierge that is familiar with the area to help tourists.

Facilities - The pool is small and is next to the street and has again plenty of street noise

I left other hotels for a slightly higher rate of about $50, I could have gotten a far much better hotel on Waikiki beachfront.

This Marriot disappoints

Room Tip: Find other options of hotels if you can especially if you are sensitive sleeper.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Msafiri1961
Wcourtyard, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2018

Aloha Msafiri1961,

We're very sorry to hear your recent experience with us was not up to standard. Please know that we greatly appreciate you bringing our attention to the issues you mentioned. If you'd like to discuss this experience further, we kindly ask that you please reach out with your contact info and room number.
We sincerely hope you give us another chance in the future.