“Beautiful Palace”

Ranked #13 of 273 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Iolani Palace, the official residence of Hawaii’s monarchy, is a marvel of opulence, innovation and political intrigue. Meticulously restored to its former grandeur, this National Historic Landmark in downtown Honolulu tells of a time when their Majesties, King Kalakaua, who built the palace in 1882, and his sister and successor, Queen Liliuokalani, walked its celebrated halls. Today, you can enjoy one of the most spectacular living restorations in all of Polynesia and immerse yourself in Hawaii’s royal heritage. E komo mai! Welcome!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We did the audio self guided tour. It’s really nice that they use reusable shoe covers. The history is very interesting & the palace & its furnishings are beautiful. The staff were friendly & helpful. We enjoyed learning more about Hawaiian history.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Write a ReviewReviews (5 207)
All reviews
"restored"
in 310 reviews

329 - 333 of 5 207 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

The tour was exceptional and I loved learning more about my Hawaiian people. I live inTacoma, WA and visit Oahu almost every June. My dad is 3/4 Hawaiian and grew up in Honolulu so we always visit Oahu. I had been to the museum once before but barely remember it as it was so long ago. I’m so glad I went again this year and that I got to bring my teenage daughter with me. She appreciated the tour as well. Much Aloha

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Wonderful way to learn about the history of the Hawaiian royalty. Original furnishings, clothing and art make this site a treasure trove for those wanting to better understand the history of Hawaii. The audio tour is excellent and user friendly. Options are given for hearing additional information that enriches the basic material. Definitely worth the time.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We did the self-guided audio tour. The palace is beautiful, and the tour described how unique and important its place in history is, and what happened there at the end of the Hawaiian monarchy. The touch screen audio device displayed a map of the rooms, allowed you to pause, replay and jump ahead in the tour as desired. If you have even the smallest interest in Hawaiian history, this is a must-do tour! Hawaiian culture and history is so much more than just hula and luaus!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Mahalo to the Friends of Iolani Palace. Our docent led tour was wonderful. Our guide was so informative and cordial. My children and I loved seeing this beautifully restored palace as we learned about the Hawaiian monarchy and Queen Liliuokalani. This tour is a must see for history buffs like me.
A few things to note:
1. Book your docent led tour online; spaces are limited.
2. Eat a good breakfast before arriving (there are no concessions).
3. Parking was easy, but plan to arrive early; have quarters for the meter.
3. Follow the signs to pick up your paper tickets; watch the intro film.
4. Everyone wears booties while touring the palace; keep backpacks and purses to a minimum.
5. The tour will probably run longer than planned, but when you’re on Hawaiian time it’s all good.
Enjoy! Aloha