Reviews (2 490)
2 490 results
1 179
1 179
All reviews rooftop bar valet parking beautiful hotel valet service indoor pool hotel restaurant small room off season tennis hall of fame bellevue avenue the entire staff thames street new england visit newport shops and restaurants cliff walk dispenser
941 - 946 of 2 490 reviews
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

I stayed here on business for 3 nights. I expected a small room but was pleasantly surprised at the spacious room with vaulted ceiling, wall to wall windows, king bed, desk and chair. My room included a fridge. The bathroom set up was a little odd but they worked with the space they had! Granite counter top and vessel sink on one side of the entry with closet and on the other side of the hallway the toilet and tub/shower.

The front desk staff was very helpful and the restaurant staff were fabulous and friendly. We ate a couple of breakfast buffets and a lunch in One. Very nice and I'd definitely recommend it.

On the suggestions side, a good deep clean on the room is needed (e.g. Baseboards, the closet doors had a lot of dust and the closet floor was not clean). My room also wasn't cleaned one day but by the time I came back after a long day, I just asked for towels...twice.

I would definitely return to this hotel. Great location and nice up to date spaces.

Trip type: Travelled on business
HotelVikingRI, General Manager at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2016

Thank you so much for your candid and gracious review. We are delighted you chose to stay with us during your recent business trip and it pleased us to know your accommodations exceeded your expectations. Your kind compliments to our staff are greatly appreciated. One Bellevue, our in-house restaurant, is among the best of Newport, and we are thrilled you enjoyed your dining experience. We appreciate your comments regarding the guest room and will be sure to share them with our housekeeping staff. We hope to see you again soon at The Hotel Viking for another great stay.

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

This hotel is quintessential Newport. Period decorations brings you back in time. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The rooftop bar has beautiful views of Newport. We stayed in a king suite. It was very cozy, with a nice sitting room. The shower was large, and the bathroom sink was very small, but as stated earlier, the decor in the suite and bathroom was a design throwback. The hotel is located in the center of town, with a trolley stop at the corner that will take you from to the mansions to the seaport. I recommend the daily pass for $6 or $7 that allows you to use the trolleys all day long. Great hotel, for a short vacation getaway, highly recommended.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jay Z

We love your charming review! Top Of Newport Bar, located on our rooftop, is the ideal venue for enjoying a cocktail and some good conversation all while taking in the amazing views of our historic city and we are delighted you had the opportunity to enjoy it. It’s with great pride that we read your accommodations were ideal for your stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Hotel Viking again soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2016

This is a beautiful historic hotel that has been well-maintained and clearly updated. The rooms are gorgeous and the location is ideal. You can walk to nearby restaurants (highly recommend Meg's Aussie Grill for fantastic breakfasts!) and trolley/bus to mansions.

Room tip: I was in room 2015, nice large room with courtyard view. Very quiet. First floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you very much for your high praise and glowing review. We’re thrilled our location was perfect for your stay in Newport and provided the easy access you needed to tour the mansions in our area. It is a pleasure to read your accommodations were to your liking and the overall feel of our hotel was a big hit. We hope you will come back soon and enjoy another great stay at The Hotel Viking.

Reviewed 20 May 2016

I had business in Boston and decided to take the scenic drive down to Newport. I had the opportunity to stay for a night at the Hotel Viking and it was a wonderful experience. It is a Historical property built in 1926 however, they have just gone through a restoration of the public space, guest rooms and all of their meeting space. They also have this very unique roof-top space that overlooks much of Newport with views of the harbor.

I was in the "Newport Wing" which had a king bed and was larger than I expected for a historic hotel. Everything I would expect from a 4 diamond property. The hotel was busy with graduation parties and some groups in house however, they have so much meeting space and separate guest room wings spread throughout the property that you never felt like there like it was sold out.

The hotel is walking distance from the center of town and I also was able to walk up to see a few of the mansions the city is famous for. I also walked down and had dinner in town which really is closer than you would expect.

Overall, a great hotel with excellent service that was able to hold on to that classic charm of the 20's with all the amenities of 2016!

Room tip: I stayed in the Newport wing which had larger rooms had the other wrong.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

We truly appreciate your wonderful review. It is a pleasure to read your accommodations were perfect for your one night stay in Newport. Thank you for your compliments to our historic property and the excellent service you received from our dedicated staff. Top of Newport Bar is an amazing venue to relax, enjoy a cocktail and some amazing views of our beautiful city and we are so glad you enjoyed it as well. It’s also great to know our location provided the convenience you needed to do some sightseeing. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Viking again in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2016

I stayed here for three days for a Navy reunion. As noted by many, the lobby is adjacent to the bar, which includes live music at night on weekends, making the lobby not a quiet place to wait or work. The ala carte breakfast in the sunny dining room was excellent, I did not try the $25 buffet. There is an outdoor patio area also in good weather.

The rooms are different depending on which part of the hotel you are in. I was in the main central building and the Queen bed room I was given reminded me of a Parisian hotel, cramped. There was enough room for a side table on one side and a small desk on the other. The shower was on the wall at the foot of the bed. The sink was extremely small, so small that the faucet was mounted on the side and turned sideways. The toilet was facing the sink with just enough space to pass between to get to the shower. Shelves over the toilet provided a place to put toiletries. Pump soap and conditioner were provided at the sink and the shower. But, the TV was something else - 50 inches! Since it was located about 3 feet from the bed, it was like being in a movie theater. An interesting experience.

The back part of the hotel had much larger rooms, as I had the chance to visit one of the other guests' room. I would not recommend two people to share one of the cramped main building Queen bed rooms.

The location is great, walking distance to everything downtown and the wharf. There are plenty of things to see within walking distance. The rooftop bar was open on Friday night and we had a great time up there with our group. It has a nice, but not great, view of downtown and the harbor. Cigar and cigarette smoking allowed.

I need to make note of the bar liquor. Both the main bar in the lobby and the roof top bar was stocked with upscale liquor. The house bourbon is Maker's Mark. They offered Woodford Reserve, two ages of Bullitt, Bookers, and Basil Hayden. Single malt scotches - multiple years of Macallen, Lothraig, Johnnie Walker Gold, Black. But, the prices were also upscale.

Room tip: Rooms with 3 numbers in main building are smaller. Rooms with 4 numbers in the back building are larger.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank TravellerfromMO

Thank you for your detailed insight and feedback on our hotel. It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed the breakfast service at our in-house restaurant, One Bellevue. We appreciate your detailed comments about your guest room and we are disappointed you felt cramped. We wish we would have known while you were here so we could have assisted you when it mattered most. Our location leaves our guests just steps away from all the sights, sounds and attractions of Newport and it’s nice to know you appreciated it. Top Of Newport, our rooftop bar, is a guest favorite and we’re glad you enjoyed not only the atmosphere but also the cocktail selection. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Viking again soon.