All reviews loft suite rooftop bar indoor pool old mansion my husband and i elegant hotel high tea historic building thames street rhode island turn down service new england long weekend sitting area valet parking common areas cookies
Reviewed 10 August 2016

My wife and I recently made a trip to Newport and the surrounding area, electing to spend our two nights within Newport itself at the Vanderbilt Grace. I'd wanted to stay in this hotel for some time, so we planned much of our trip around the best room we could get during our vacation.

About 9 hours after we made a confirmed, non-refundable reservation, the hotel contacted us to say that it would not honour the reservation. This came as quite a shock, as we would not have been able to cancel without losing the entire cost of the reservation, and we had made a series of other non-refundable reservations in the RI / Cape Cod area. The end result meant that if we wanted to stay in Newport and see the town, we no longer had date flexibility, and we would be forced to pay an exorbitant rate for an inferior hotel. The Vanderbilt offered us a meal in their restaurant, but the staff member who could issue us with this voucher refused to answer the phone whenever we called, even though the front desk confirmed she was in attendance on more than one occasion, and we left a number of voicemails.

If I could single out one person for the Incompetent Person of the Year award, it would be Danielle, the hotel's reservation 'manager'. I assume that it was Danielle who was responsible for listing rooms for sale that the hotel did not have, and it was definitely Danielle who made the disingenuous offer of a restaurant voucher before actively avoiding all attempts to make further contact.

Newport is obviously an in demand summer destination, and the hotel may feel it doesn't need to worry about the business of a few individual customers, but if you make an error then don't compound that error by lying and refusing to answer phone calls or return messages.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9  Thank David C
Reviewed 2 August 2016

Wow. From the moment we walked into the hotel, we were greeted with the most fabulous service and amenities. The small details, like the cookies at bedtime, sparkling water and fiction library in the suite, made this one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. We had a Captain Loft Suite, which was huge, well laid out and very comfortable. The outdoor pool was also lovely, as we spent an entire afternoon outdoors. The servers (Maureen, in particular) were attentive, accommodating and very professional. I would stay at this property again in a heart-beat! When we got home, my husband realized he forgot his iPad in the room. The hotel staff found it and FedEx-ed it to our home the next day. Service, service service!!! Spectacular service!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gellabellamozarella
Reviewed 26 July 2016

We were greeted with great friendliness and every member of staff seemed to learn our names immediately - most impressive. Our room was extremely comfortable with a view of the Conservatory and pool area. It was extremely comfortable and well-furnished with chairs and a desk as well as an excellent and spotlessly clean bathroom. It was unfortunate that we were the only customers for dinner in the Muse restaurant that night but it did mean we had the staff's undivided attention! The lack of atmosphere was made up for by the charming and friendly servers.
Breakfast in the Conservatory on two beautiful sunny mornings (too hot to eat outside!) was served with great charm and was delicious too.
We also enjoyed cocktails and wine on the Roof Deck with an unmissable view of the harbour - wonderful.

Room tip: A view of the garden was lovely
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

We are one week into our two week stay and can happily report our liking of this for star boutique hotel. Apart from some misunderstanding from time to time, we receive excellent service and full attention from top management to all staff. The property is charming yet a bit run down here and there. Perfectly located to access all restaurants and bars in town by foot and still on a quiet street. Cosy atmosphere, highly recommended.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2016

My son and I went to The Vanderbilt Grace for English Tea this weekend. Previously I had done some research in reviews for English Tea in Rhode Island. It was even better than I expected.

The Grace blend was the best tea I have ever had. The tea sandwiches, scones, cookies and other desserts were very good.

The service was excellent. Our waitress was wonderful and every person that we came in contact with was extremely considerate and informative.

We will be back again; this time for early dinner outside in early September.

• Trip type: Travelled with family