“Cozy cabin with great amenities”
Lovely log cabin in the woods near the river
Full-size hot tub Living room with leather furniture and gas fire
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Full-size hot tub
Living room with leather furniture and gas fire
Living room with sofa bed
Brand new fully equipped kitchen
Solid rustic dining room furniture
King size master bed
Master bath vanity
Master bath jacuzzi tub
2nd BR with queen and twin beds
2nd BR with queen and twin beds
Satellite HDTV/DVDs in all rooms
2nd bathroom
2nd bathroom
Stone firepit with unlimited wood provided free
Full free laundry facilities provided
Two canoes and accessories provided
The beautiful Shenandoah River (you cannot see the river from the house)
Lovely grassy riverbank
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 42 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Tour78873...
“Cozy cabin with great amenities”
Reviewed 13 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018

The location was great. The house is down a long gravel road. It's the best of both worlds - feels remote, but still close to civilization. The house was well furnished with hot tub, cable TV in every room, WiFi, gas grill and full kitchen. We came shortly after the area had seen a significant amount of rain, so the river was still pretty high. We were not able to swim due to the strong current, but we were able to use the canoes. We also enjoyed using the fire pit and nightly relaxation in the hot tub. There is a screened in back porch off the master bedroom and an open back porch off the kitchen. They were nice enough to provide a citronella candle, which helped fend off the mosquitos in the evenings.

Few FYI notes:
There is only 1 shower (in the hall bath). The top bunk is very close to the ceiling. Even my small child hit her head. There is a house right next door, but the couple stays to themselves. The water is about a .25 mile walk. From all the rain the brush had grown in around & above the path (make sure to watch your step & duck). Also, the picnic table was damaged due to the prior flooding. The bugs are awful, but that's to be expected due to the proximity to the water and prior rainfall. Just wear bug spray.

There is plenty to do nearby:
Luray Caverns - tour is awesome as are the museums, ropes course and maze Jordan Hollow Stables - pony rides and trail rides (horses are very well trained and in great physical condition)
Page Theatres - reasonable tickets and concessions prices (very limited hours of operation & cash only)
Lake Arrowhead - Beach with swimming, trails, picnic areas

Good restaurants - Baby Moons, Gennaro's Pizza, Flotzie's (awesome soft serve ice cream)

15 Jul 2018
We are working on cutting back some of the brush and trees that have grown along the river path at Bear Timbers. Thanks for the review and other great feedback!
jaypup201...
Burke, Virginia
“Bear Timbers”
Reviewed 24 June 2018 for a stay in June 2018

Awesome cabin with great amenities and in a good location. We enjoyed the jacuzzi, hot tub, cable TV/WiFi and being walking distance to the river. It’s a short drive to Luray Caverns and for kayaking with Front Royal Canoe.

Bring your bug spray - the mosquitoes are out in force due to the unusually high amount of rain we have had. The property has some low areas between the cabin aliing the walk to the river where they will ambush you unmercifully. :)

Denise M
“Not all advertised amenities were accessible”
Reviewed 15 June 2018 for a stay in June 2018
people found this review helpful

All in all, had a great weekend with friends at Bear Timbers. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the canoes unlocked from their chains and it put a slight damper on things since that was an activity we were really counting on and the cabin is advertised as having water access and 2 canoes. I have my own kayak so had I known we'd not be able to use the canoes that are supposed to be available with booking this cabin, I would have brought my kayak with me. We had already packed up the oars and safety vests from the cabin and walked them down to the water via the cart. The walk is a pretty long hike, and due to recent rain, it was very muddy. The canoes are chained right near the water. When we tried to unlock the combination lock, the code we were given did not work. We all spent some time trying to pull on the lock to open it, verified we had the right number in, etc. I wanted to call the management company to make sure we had been given the right combo since the lock literally wouldn't budge, and in order to do that I had to walk all the way back up to the cabin because none of us could get cell phone reception down by the water. I started calling the 3 numbers we were given -- the management company, and 2 numbers for housekeeping. Housekeeping eventually answered their phone and they assured me that code was correct, and that they are aware the lock has been hard to open due to the heavy rain. In fact when we arrived, the canoes were not even on the wood canoe rack -- they were both on the ground on top of each other in the mud. We pulled the canoes out of the mud and put them onto the wood canoe rack in order to get better access to the lock. Housekeeping said to pull really hard on the lock and it should open, but if we are still having issues to give her a call back and she'd come out there to help unlock it. I walked back to the water to tell everyone to try again. My boyfriend, who is actually a former Olympic weight lifter, was still unable to open the locks. We decided not to bother with the canoes since we'd already spent a decent amount of time trying to access them. I didn't feel like walking back through the mud up to the cabin to call housekeeping again, who I'm sure lives close but we would have to wait for her to come up there, and short of cutting through the chain or the lock, I'm not quite sure what she could have done at that point anyway to give us access to the canoes. Management sent me an email a little bit later stating that they had heard that housekeeping was taking care of our canoe issue.
The day after we got back, I sent an email to the management company advising them that we still hadn't been able to access the canoes during our stay and that we were bummed out about it. They apologized that we had trouble and said housekeeping is "working to get the canoes cleaned up and back on their racks" -- well they're already on the racks, we did that for them. I'm not really happy about the way they handled the situation. Had we been able to access the canoes, I likely would have given a 5 star review. The cabin decorations are really cute and well done. I'm also saying that I would recommend this rental to a friend because I'm sure management will realize the lock is simply not working and replace it for future renters.
Actually it's also kind of interesting that in writing my review here, I see that Trip Advisor wants me to certify that I was not offered any incentive to write the review. The management company sent out a canned email to me stating that "Every month, we give out $50 Amazon gift cards to one or more people who wrote reviews during that month". Not sure they'll pick a 3 star review to give the gift card to though lol.

17 Jun 2018
We had record-breaking raining and flooding before this guest arrived. The river rose more than 10 feet and the shorelines were under water. Many canoes, trees, picnic tables and fire pits along the shore were washed away. The stuff that remained took awhile to clean up and fix. We explained this to the guest in detail. We had to replace the locks at all the cabins in that area and a lot more. We do ask guests to write reviews each month and have a lottery/drawing for those that do. We only ask that the reviews be honest. This guest was one of those people that like to pick fights over nothing and create controversy.
Clint M
“Clean cozy cabin close to Shenandoah River with hot tub and fire pit!”
Reviewed 31 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017
person found this review helpful

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the cabin, amenities, and location. It is located just north of Luray. We had plenty of firewood for bonfires in the evening, plenty of cooking and dishware, enjoyed a relaxing hot tub, a short walk to the river where there was canoes for us to use, and a wide range of movies to pick from for night time entertainment. My family and I really enjoyed the bonfires, and then playing board games in the evening. It is a short drive to many trails along the Shenandoah Mountains, which we took advantage of as well. Luray Caverns is near by, and other local attractions. There are stores near by if you need to buy food or supplies, and restaurants if you choose to eat out. I would go again and recommend this cabin to all my friends and family.

10 Nov 2017
Clint, thanks for telling others! Enjoyed speaking with you and your family. We'll see you next time.
Curtis Y
“Fantastic accomodations”
Reviewed 10 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

Located just a few miles from Luray Caverns and the Shenandoah Valley State Park, this cozy cabin easily slept all 6 of us. I don't know if this is new or recently renovated, but it is awesome. Just a short walk gets you to the river where you can fish or canoe (supplied for you!), or just have a picnic on the shore. The hot tub was excellent. When we go back i will definitely book this cabin again!

10 Aug 2017
Thanks, Curtis, for taking the time to tell others! Glad you guys had a good time and we'll see you next time!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing