other travellers have booked this property

Review of Mountain Escape

Amazing Sunset from Cabin & Hot Tub
Warm up by the Log Burning Wood Stove
Full Bathroom with a walk in Shower on the 2nd floor
King Bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

CarolynMD...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mountain Moonshine Cabin”
Reviewed 17 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017
people found this review helpful

This review is for the Mountain Moonshine Cabin on Overlook Drive in Rileyville, VA. Six friends and I stayed there over MLK weekend for my bachelorette party. I had originally booked a different cabin with Caroline at Blue Ridge Getaway, but she kindly upgraded us to a larger one at no cost, and even left a bottle of champagne in the fridge for our arrival.
The booking process was smooth, and Caroline was very helpful and responsive throughout the process. However, there were a number of things that I think should have been made clear before submitting payment that were only revealed a week before our arrival. First and most importantly is the road, Overlook Drive. I had asked before booking if the road would be accessible, and was assured it was ok, though she did mention it was gravel and concrete. It was only a week before we were scheduled to arrive that Caroline mentioned that it would be good to have 4WD. This is a complete understatement! The road is absolutely harrowing for non 4WD cars- it's incredibly steep, there are ruts and rocks jutting out in every direction, and it's very narrow in places. My mazda 2 did make it up the mountain, but it was a white knuckle drive every moment, and the undercarriage constantly banged on rocks. The road conditions should be made VERY CLEAR in the cabin description, as I would not have booked the cabin if I knew the situation (I'm sure that's why they don't), and it caused a lot of stress coming and going. I will note that the owner provided an old, dirty jeep (check engine light on) to drive up and down, which we ended up using and having to caravan the girls each time. The duty manager, to his credit, was very nice and escorted us up the first time, us following his jeep in the borrowed one.

Besides the road, the cabin itself was wonderful! It's perched high on the mountain, so the views into the valley are really wonderful. Though there are other cabins around, you can't see any from the house, and it does feel very peaceful and isolated. The kitchen is big and nicely laid out for gathering, though not very well stocked. Make sure to bring everything you need, including condiments like salt and pepper, paper towels, kitchen towels, dishwasher detergent (for the machine), trash bags, tin foil, etc. There is a wood burning stove in place of a fireplace, which is just as nice.

The lower level has a large kitchen, living room, dining area and a king size bed, which is sort of tucked back behind a screen. Upstairs there are two huge bedrooms, each with a bathroom and king bed, as well as one additional full bed. We did have quite a few stink bugs around, and one roach, but, hey, it's nature! The cabin also has a hot tub, swimming pool and grill. We only used the hot tub, which was lovely and fit 6 of us ladies at a time. There is technically a fire pit, but it's really just a pile of rocks with nowhere to sit around it.

A few more things to note about the cabin that visitors should know in advance. You have to take all of your trash with you, so be sure to bring bags. You'll also need to clean the cabin before you leave, and provide your own sheets and towels (or rent them for a fee). We ended up renting king sheets from the owner. There were plenty of blankets and pillows. I would also recommend drinking water, since the tap is well water.

Overall, the cabin is very beautiful and well suited to larger groups, but the drive to get there was not what we signed up for. The booking person, Caroline, and the duty manager, Ashley, were very helpful and easy to work with. Unfortunately, I would not go back again due to the condition of Overlook Drive.

Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing