“Splendid!”

Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
Ranked #24 of 286 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A Great American Artist. A Great American Story. Explore the remarkable career of Georgia O'Keeffe.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We spent a delightful morning in the museum. Hard to single out the works we like the most of the painter known as the "Mother of American modernism." The door of her house in Abiquiu, the clouds, the whie and blue flower shapes are most impressive.

Write a ReviewReviews (4 272)
All reviews
"career"
in 110 reviews

49 - 53 of 4 272 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a museum not to be missed. Maybe I am biased because I love Georgia O’Keefe’s work. This was a woman ahead of her time and so it is interesting to see how she portrays that in her art work from decades ago. The museum has a good supply of her artwork both publically and privately owned. They do rotate the pieces. There were several pieces on loan from private owners-some owners who sent them to the museum for safekeeping because of the fires out west and the volcanic eruptions in Hawaii.

We had a great conversation with one of the museum guards. I had asked him a question about a couple of art pieces that were displayed that were not O’Keefe’s. I wanted to know how it tied in to her works. He gave us a detailed explanation and explained how their work was similar yet decades apart. I felt like he was our own personal guide because he explained other pieces to us and pointed out his favorite. Because of him, I saw things in her paintings I had not seen before. We talked more about Georgia O’Keefe and her life. The guard’s name was Peter Grabat. Very friendly, could tell he loves his job, and answering questions. He was not a docent. But sure knew enough to be one.

The museum shows a great movie about her life and it is worth watching especially because there are clips in it of her sharing things about her life. You cannot walk through the museum with backpacks or large bags but they do provide free lockers. A very nice gift shop is included with reasonable prices.

It is well worth the $13 to enter the museum. Children under the age of 17 are free. No senior discounts. I would chose this museum over any others in Santa Fe.

Definitely worth taking teenagers to see her art. My16 year old who is not into art walked out of the Georgia O’Keefe Museum telling me it was the highlight of her day and that she felt inspired by Georgia. Those comments were the highlight of my day.

1  Thank marybT5775QN
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Although I have seen paintings of Georgia O’Keeffe and knew a little bit about her personal life, visiting this museum was on par with being at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam! After spending almost two hours learning about O’KEEFFE’s life and learning about her evolution as an artist, I left feeling inspired to visit her home in the Village of Abiquiu! When I asked the staff at the admissions desk, at first they told us that all the times were booked for the remainder of our visit. However, Elizabeth, who was helping us, urged us to call Karen who is in charge of the tours in Abiquiu. Karen did some checking and offered us a tour for the following day! I was blown away by how helpful both Elizabeth and Karen were given how busy and popular they were! If you are planning a trip, please book your tours in advance if you have any interest in seeing her home!

Either way, if you are going to be in Santa Fe, you must go to the museum!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Art lovers won’t want to miss this museum full of information about Georgia O’Keefe and her art. There are many well mounted paintings of hers ands a good video outlining the history of her life. A must for culture vultures and art lovers.