“Poor service at the Cantina”

Coyote Cafe and Cantina
Reserve with OpenTable
Coyote Cafe and Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 608 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$22 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Ortiz Street
Description: Coyote Cafe continues to be Santa Fe's most famous and celebrated restaurant, acclaimed by critics and return visitors alike. We are celebrating our 31th year of business in the Land of Enchantment! The Cafe features a contemporary menu with global influence and a nod to the Southwest and the Cantina serves up New Mexican favorites.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Normally, I don't like to post negative reviews. However the service was so abysmal, I just have to post this... My wife & I went to the Cantina for drinks and appetizers and to people watch the street below. We must have been invisible to the servers, as we had at least three of them walk right by us until I finally flagged one down so we could order drinks. After our initial round of drinks and appetizers, the service seemed to improve, until my wife ordered her last beer. We waited over 10 minutes and no beer. So we called for the check. The server mentioned that we had the beer order outstanding and we told him to cancel us and bring us the check. So be wary if you are expecting even decent service for drinks and appetizers in The Cantina.

8  Thank TP-NC1
Write a ReviewReviews (1 469)

98 - 102 of 1 470 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Try the giant chicharone! Everything was great in new Dining Room. We always enjoy the bar on the top floor to have happy hour, find some shade & enjoy guacamole.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

We dined at the Coyote Cafe in the evening and the Rooftop Cantina at noon and were not disappointed with either place. The cafe is fine dining, not sure why it is called a cafe, it was misleading. It was a bit pricey but the unique menu, delicious food and attentive and personable staff made it worth the cost. We ordered the elkt. The meat was tender, not gamey and full of flavor. The eggplant ravioli was delicious. I cannot recall the name of our salad but we enjoyed every morsel. The Rooftop Cantina seved terrific Mexican food. The service was quick and the server very accomodating and personable.We had the fish tacos and an enchalada. The price was reasonable and we ate every bite with relish.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

This was our first time to dine at the Coyote Cafe (the fine dining, not the cantina). The atmosphere is definitely special and our staff (Paris, Ben) were warm, friendly and made us feel welcome.
Between the two of us, one ordered the sea bass, which was excellent, and we agreed we would have been miffed it was not, given the price. Eggplant ravioli was the other entre we shared, and it was also outstanding.
My only complaint with the food was what we experienced a couple of times in Sante Fe, and which might be a trend: salad as art. The caesar salad was served as four rolled lettuce pucks. Huh? I realize chefs must get bored with the lowly and common caesar salad, but this presentation just seemed gimmicky.
I wouldn't complain much if the salad was the best caesar I've ever had, but I would rank it bottom quartile. The reason: a lot of sugar in the dressing, and the hearts of romaine were not washed. This is an unforced error. However, I will give them points for the fried polenta "croutons" with green chili--nice!
Sorry to dock the one point off what would otherwise have been an excellent review, but I walked away with the impression this is one more chi-chi restaurant that promises but doesn't completely deliver.

1  Thank frgjms2040
Reviewed 23 June 2018

It was a hot night and our party sat in the covered area. We asked that the 2 ceiling fans be turned on and were told they are not working. Ordered the tacos al pastor. The pork was under seasoned with chunks of gristle....not good. The fish tacos were dry and flavorless. Asked some questions about other menu items and the waitress could not answer because she had been on the job only a few days. Her general attitude was annoyed and unpleasant. This place is riding on its great downtown location and former reputation. I will not be returning.

8  Thank 55Viento