“My life-long favorite in Santa Fe!”

The Famous Plaza Cafe
Ranked #27 of 608 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Known as Santa Fe's oldest restaurant, the Plaza Cafe serves highly acclaimed, authentic traditional dishes since 1905. Located on the historic Santa Fe Plaza, you won't find a better view or atmosphere while you enjoy an authentic New Mexican experience. The Razatos family keeps with the traditional cooking methods and flavor combinations of New Mexico and additional recipes from Greece, all the while keeping with the classic American diner experience. This is why you'll find everything from blue corn green chile carne asada enchiladas with a warm pillowy sopaipilla to chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and a gyro with a Greek salad on the side. The Plaza Cafe is a favorite among locals and movie stars alike, and everything finds what they are looking for at the Plaza.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

As someone who has been visiting Santa Fe since childhood, one of the first things I do upon arrival is make sure the Plaza Cafe is still operating. The space has a diner-like feel and is very casual, but the food is simply gourmet-comfort Southwestern cuisine. I have too many favorites to pick a best dish from, and I actually try to visit two or three times per visit so that I can sample each one. The red and green chiles are so well prepared, and the food is authentic. Never once in my life have we had a server who wasn't friendly, welcoming and professional. The place is always packed, and deservedly so. This year for the first time I tried their wine margarita, a sort of sangria-based drink with a twist; delicious and not too alcoholic so a great lunch beverage. This is the restaurant responsible for my life-long love of Southwestern cuisine, and I often find myself thinking of this place when eating less-than-authentic food anywhere else. The Plaza Cafe is always packed and deservedly so, yet I cannot remember ever waiting more than perhaps ten or fifteen minutes to be seated. This is not just one of my favorite Southwestern restaurants, but one of my all-time favorite restaurants of any cuisine. They have been doing this for decades (at least forty years by my estimate) and they know how to do everything right, from cooking to taking loving care of their guests. Simply the best!!

3  Thank Mitchell B
Write a ReviewReviews (1 512)

86 - 90 of 1 512 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We were staying in Santa Fe for two nights and decided to come here for lunch after wandering around the Plaza. There were quite a few customers already seated so that was a good sign that it was good. For lunch we shared a Nacho's and an Enchiladas that came with a sopapilla (soap-a-pea-a). The nachos were the best I have had and the chicken enchiladas was delicious. As we both like chilli we also got a serve of red and green chilli.

3  Thank pookybun p
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I ordered the enchiladas. They were obviously micro-waved - tough on the edges and the rest was uncooked. They warn that the chili is hot, but it is so ridiculously hot that the rice was bitter and the food was tasteless except for being extremely hot. The service was atrocious. Obviously busy at lunch time, but only interested in pushing people in and out with regard to quality. We ate lunch at La Plazuela the next day and it was fabulous.

Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi and thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations, and that you were disappointed with your enchiladas and chili. Customer satisfaction is always one of our main goals, and we are disappointed when it is not met. Thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate your feedback as it allows us room for improvement. We hope you will give us another try in the future, thank you again.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Came here for breakfast while visiting Santa Fe. Loved the location though parking can be difficult. Located right on what seems to be a main square this fifties style joint delivers the best Mexican breakfast I have ever had! They have American fare too but you can get that anywhere.

I had a hard time deciding what to order, there were so many tantalizing options. I was really attracted to what the table next to us had ordered but I was too shy to ask what it was. I tried to figure it out by reading the menu descriptions. I don't think that I did ever figured it out but I was very happy with what I ended up ordering, a chile relleno omelette. An omelette with a chile relleno stuffed inside, who ever heard of such a thing? Who cares? It was terrific! I loved every cheesy, spicy, eggy bite!

The service too was excellent. Our waiter was friendly and enthusiastic.

2  Thank Hpmicks
Reviewed 24 June 2018

The food was awesome! The service super friendly and accommodating even to special needs diet. I had the pulled pork sandwich, to die for!

1  Thank Sheila934455