All reviews wood accents concierge lounge usb ports conference attendees comfortable place to stay top floor following morning business trip comfortable rooms outdoor pool close to the airport night stay spring break stayed nights coffee maker very nice hotel the river walk
Reviewed 27 June 2018

The good: The hotel common areas were spacious and welcoming. The room was relatively small but well-appointed. The shower was good and the bathroom area was modern and convenient. The view of the city from the 9th floor was nice and we could park the car in an area that was visible from the room. There were LOTS of power outlets and USB ports in the room and plenty of sitting space. The lighting was good, if a little bright. The hotel is conveniently located at the intersection of two major freeways.

The bad: The HVAC in room was extremely loud, loud enough to disturb our sleep. The carpet at the foot of the bed was quite worn. Our room did not get made up after the first night, even though housekeeping was in the hall right next door when we exited the room for the day. Luckily we hung our towels so were able reuse them. The bottle of water provided in the room by the coffee maker was half consumed. No shampoo was provided. Breakfast was available but cost $18 per person for a very limited buffet-style meal. There are many restaurants nearby with better food for less money (check out Pancake Joes!).

We booked on a "priceline gamble", so we got a decent price but I don't think I'd stay here again if I had a choice. I haven't stayed at other high-end hotels in this area but I am a seasoned traveler and this hotel is definitely not worthy of four stars. I expected better.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KaneV
Weylan R, General Manager at Marriott San Antonio Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. I was happy to see that some things you at least liked, but very disappointed that we did not fair better and meet your satisfaction throughout. I sincerely apologize for falling short where we definitely should have done much better and I'll share your comments with the rest of the team so we can work on improving in those areas you mentioned. We value your business and appreciate you giving us the chance to serve you. At this point I only hope that perhaps we can earn your business back another time.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

For a Marriott, prior reviews here and elsewhere were not as high as one would expect for this chain. Therefore, I was a bit nervous when I was assigned this hotel off one of the "opaque" bidding sites.

Upon checking in, the condition of the hotel and the rooms were much better than I had expected. The only things that I noticed that were different than the traditional Marriott experience is that on this Friday night, the ratio of leisure and family visitors to business/convention was very high. Partly this may be due to a variety of factors, including it being a weekend, selling their tickets on the discount bidding sites, and being quite a ways away from the downtown and the Riverwalk areas which attracts the most convention visitors.

As far as our room and service goes -- it was definitely Marriott quality. Our room must have been renovated relatively recently and was reasonably sized with a King-sized bed and couch. The only negatives complaints, the housekeeper did not remove an old coffee pad from the coffee maker and one of the two coffee cup lids did not match the size of the rooms coffee cups.

For the bargain price I was able to get this hotel, I have absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We walked into our room & it was updated and better than we expected for such a low price. I was pleased our room had a mini fridge and has a small coffee maker, and the bath towels are actually a larger size so we can wrap it all around our adult bodies without giving a peep show to the kids. The shower is large & the water pressure is great!! The complimentary shampoo & conditioner was great as well. I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Weylan R, General Manager at Marriott San Antonio Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your positive comments about your stay. We work hard to make sure all our guest have a great stay and thank you for your business.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

I really hate giving a property such a low rating, but it is deserved here. I stay close to 80 nights in hotels per year, so I am well-versed in a properly run hotel. This is not one of them.

First, the good. This property has a well-meaning staff. I was checked-in by Keo. He was helpful and accommodating. I asked for a room on the highest floor and one was provided. When Keo saw me later that day he asked if the room was to my satisfaction. As soon as I told him about the issues I encountered, he immediately asked to put me in another room. I declined because we had already unpacked and I didn't think another room would be better.

The staff at the hotel restaurant Asado Urban Grill and the M Lounge are all friendly. I get the sense that they are all hard working folks with not much to do.

Ilia helped with extending my check-out time and my check-out. She asked about my stay and we talked about the issues encountered. She apologized profusely and promised to bring the issues up with management.

The issues are numerous. Although the hotel is refreshed, the remodel is truly half-hearted. It's the idea of slapping lipstick on a pig. While the rooms are updated, they still have popcorn walls, old style electrical outlets, stained furniture, stained carpets, an aging air conditioning system, and funky odors. My room safe was locked with an open door preventing me from using it.

The lobby is also updated, but it looks dim and uninviting. Many rooms have windows that open to the interior of the property, which is strange but not unheard of. Many Hyatt Regencies were designed this way on purpose, because they wanted to feature their interior atriums. This hotel does not have an interior atrium aside from a few plants.

All of the above is not ruinous. However, my second night's sleep was cut short at 2am with emergency tones and an announcement to evacuate the property. The fire department came and left. The official story is that someone was smoking in the stairwell. Their official story for their previous evacuation is that it was a disgruntled family that booked on Priceline and their child pulled the fire alarm at 1am. Truth is, whatever the story, you've ruined many guests' sleep. That is the one cardinal rule you cannot violate as a hotel operator. This is where we go to rest our heads; it is our home away from home. We are relying on you to allow us a good night's sleep. This property failed us here. The security staff should be first alerted to the fire. Only after verifying it is not a false alarm (i.e. child pulling the alarm handle or smoker in the stairwell) should an alarm be sounded and emergency personnel dispatched. Otherwise, you've unnecessarily woken your guests and wasted the fire department's time.

On Saturday night, we returned back from dinner around 10pm and walked past a prostitute by the front door. I know this is not a case of mistaken identification because it is mentioned in other reviews and the hotel staff confirmed they have had problems with this issue. They blame third party booking sites that prevent them from vetting out those unwanted guests. Surely, they can do better. To me, I get the sense that this property is so under booked (Marriott prices rooms as low as $80/night) that they are willing to take any guest.

Funny thing is that this property even takes guests that are not even paid guests. The swimming pool connects to a back parking lot. During our stay, locals would park their cars, bring their own towels, and use the pool. That does not feel safe.

Speaking of the swimming pool, this is the cloudiest pool we have ever encountered. On one hand, you can blame sunscreen coming off in the water, but every pool has this problem. Something is seriously wrong with the pool pump here. The water is bitter in a very not pool-like manner (it is not chlorine, tri-chlor, or potassium _____sulfate). The water is not right and I truly hope management looks into this. Also, no one cleared the leaves in the morning as is typically done at every hotel I have stayed at. I ended up doing it for them.

Also, while we were there, it felt like a ghost town in the restaurant and in the M Lounge. On a Sunday morning there were only two parties at Asado Urban Grill and on Monday morning there were only two parties at the M Lounge. It felt strange to us. I travel a lot and breakfast is usually filled with hustle and bustle in a hotel.

This hotel has potential it is not reaching. The M Lounge is updated. The great room has very high ceilings and could be an inviting gathering place. At the same time, there are many small things they could address. For instance, in the bathrooms next to the M Lounge the tiles on the walls are new, but they couldn't even be bothered to wipe the ceramic residue off of the tiles (from when they were stacked in the box). Electrical outlets can be easily updated. They could install a room key lock on the pool fence. They should invest in a carpet cleaner to steam the hallways and rooms. They need an upholstery cleaner to get the stains out of the sofas. Put an ozone generator in the rooms to help scrub the air of its strange odors. The air conditioner return filters need to be replaced. Hire a security officer to patrol the hotel and screen fire alarms. Put up cameras in the stairwells and by the fire alarm pull stations. I know these things come at a cost, but the alternative is that the hotel further declines with low cost third party bookings (and their associated guests). I could go on, but I am sure management is constrained by a budget.

I originally booked a room for July, but I am definitely cancelling my reservation. I wish this property the best in turning things around.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank howardhsu
Weylan R, General Manager at Marriott San Antonio Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

First of all a sincere thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail about your experience at our hotel. You definitely have some worth while improvement ideas that can make our business better for all our guests. I was also happy to see that our staff treated you in a professional and hospitable manner and it was very kind of you to notice and the write about it. We value our internal resources "our people" and count on them to execute our plans for success and deliver our plans of service to each and every guest. I'll discuss your concerns with all of my key staff and happy to say that we are working on some the items you mentioned already to make our service better. I hope you'll give us that chance to earn back your business in the future if your plans bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Was upgraded to a very nice suite with high ceilings, recessed lights, huge balcony, huge tub. All staff were very pleasant and helpful. M lounge and bar area very nice. Only negatives were that air conditioner had a really hard time cooling the large space of the suite - and this is south Texas, and the pool was quite plain - not very inviting. For the price, the suite upgrade made it a very worthwhile stay.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo