“RIP Vets”

Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I’m glad San Antonio has a national cemetery to honor the veterans. As a veteran myself I plan to be buried there. So I’ll take my time now to help volunteer there clean to please put out flags doing ceremonies. Just a nice place the owner of it.

1  Thank Davin D
in 3 reviews
"buried"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Well, this was our second service here. We laid my grandmother to rest ten years after my grandfather was laid to rest. I'll go in order:
My grandfather was buried with full military honors. They did the 21 gun salute and all. My grandmother was presented with the flag. It was very somber, and well done.

My Grandmother was not a veteran, so her services were different, but also very well done.

It was interesting, as a representative from Ft. Sam Houston spoke and told us a little about the national cemetery. It was interesting to learn that 147,000 people are currently buried there with 10-15 people being added each day. It is pretty staggering.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Today I went looking for an old friend who was interred here a few decades back. I was unsure of which section they were actually put in. I went in the main gate that google sent me to. This gate was open to the public. The section involved was pretty much from the older wars. They were in nice squared off sections with roads all over that gave pretty decent access to well marked sections.

While in the older section I was able to witness another burial with full honors and a 21 gun salute that caught me off guard. I was able to get directions from the friendly staff of where I needed to be and on the way out there was yet another funeral procession on its way in.

To get to the new section you need to take a right turn outside of the gate and take the next right. Go down that street towards the covered gate. You will need an ID of some sort to get in as this part is in part of the main military base. You will need to continue on with the cemetery on your right all the way down until you see the open gate on your right that says cemetery.

The newer cemetery includes many Korean, Vietnam, Gulf war and GWOT vets including my friend. There are fewer roads here giving less easy access to the various plots. You will have to walk a bit more if your member is in one of the far sides as was mine. In my case i ended up having to cross a kind of artificial drainage ditch.

Be advised there are some small holes that can trip you up if you are not careful as they are hidden by the grass. The place is fairly well laid out though. They have a decent scatter of trees about to provide shade. They also have a number of walled "tombs" to hold what I believe to be ash urns.

At the moment there is construction taking place between the new and old cemetery that is blocking internal transit between the two sections. It appears the military is building a bridge that will connect the two sides of the base that are split by the cemetery. It also seems that they will have two or three "tunnels" that may allow future access to the new side without having to transit the base and it's checkpoints.

There are several websites which will help you locate the plots of specific residents of this cemetery. It was surprising the number of people that were coming to visit family members and equally surprising how many recent residents there were.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

We were looking for a relative who died in WWII. Fortunately, we knew the burial plot # and with the help of an employee as we entered the cemetery, we were able to find it. There were 3 funerals taking place when we visited it which made it a little difficult to navigate through the cemetery (roads closed), but we managed. Beautifully maintained grounds with big shady trees throughout.
Thank you to the men and women who gave their lives for us!