“Fantastic time at a great B&B”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
gwynaseth
Pennsylvania
“Wouldn't Stay Here Again”
Reviewed 16 August 2009 for a stay in August 2009
people found this review helpful

The first thing that Peg (the host) said was that we had been "upgraded" because she had given our room away to a family of five. The upgrade was not in the Henry Derby house, which is what we wanted to stay in, but in her own private residence, one house over, something that is not represented on her website. I guess it was an "upgrade" because it had it's own kitchen, which didn't really matter, since we were on vacation. The stairs to our rooms were very narrow and steep. We were not able to get our suitcases up them. When you stepped down on them, they sank. The electrical in the house was old, and some of the plugs broken. You were not able to have multiple things plugged in at the same time. We were told "it's an old house", as if this would explain away the problem. The rooms and bathroom had a rundown feel, with chipped paint and threadbare rugs in the bathroom. The tub was also dangerous as it was a clawfoot tub that was very narrow. I most definitely wouldn't recommend this for elderly visitors. The rooms would be fine for private residence, but for the price we were paying, it was not suitable for a B&B.
She was very knowledgeable about the area, but seemingly didn't listen when we told her that we had already done certain things, because she went over them as we hadn't anyway. She also was not that reachable by the phone number she gave us when we called with questions.
Breakfast was a form of continental, with cold cereal. The milk for the cereal tasted sour. When asking for juice (you had to ask) you only would receive about a shot glass full. I ended up going elsewhere for my breakfast.
After reading more of the reviews on this place, it seems that it is very common for Peg to give people's rooms away. She said that she had tried to contact us, but didn't have our phone number. What kind of business is run without taking necessary information down? She could have emailed us. We had had our reservations made for over 5 months.
When asked, Peg said she had never been to a B&B and it shows through with shining colors.

Travelling group: Other
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
20 Aug 2009
Thank you so much for making me aware of some things that you were not happy about at the Henry Derby House.

I truly hope that my guests would let me know when they are staying with me what their concerns are.

It is much easier to address issues and hopefully have a happy guest than reading it on the internet and feeling disappointed that I could not have done anything while they were with me to alleviate any negative situation.

Our aim is to make every guest a happy and comfortable guest.
donyow115
Queens, New York
“Fantastic time at a great B&B”
Reviewed 5 June 2009 for a stay in May 2009
people found this review helpful

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Henry Derby house Memorial weekend and we had a wonderful time. Peg (the owner) was very warm, knowledgeable and accomodating. I had been to Salem quite a few times, mostly for the town lore, but wanted to visit during the off season so my boyfriend could see how pretty and relaxing it is. This B&B is wonderfully maintained and centrally located so that everything you'll want to do is within walking distance (very important when you don't drive). We had such a great time and highly reccomend a stay at the Henry Derby House.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
julez_val...
Bayonne, New Jersey
“A Perfect Weekend Getaway :)”
Reviewed 20 April 2009 for a stay in April 2009
person found this review helpful

My husband and I were looking to get away for a few days and I had always wanted to visit Salem. It was my first time at a B&B and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. It was everything I expected & more from an old Colonial-style home with warm Salem character. Besides the beautiful décor & accommodating rooms we owe much of our experience to the Bed & Breakfast owner & wonderful hostess, Peg. Even though we arrived a little late on the first night, she made arrangements to check us in and immediately welcomed us with warmth and within minutes we were already sharing stories. We stayed in the "Red Room" of the house which is only accessed through a narrow stairwell in the back of the house but we had no problem with this whatsoever. The room had a small private bathroom with a comfortable shower, there was a small TV., a coffee-maker & fridge (which were big pluses), plenty of storage space, and a very comfortable queen-size bed. Because the room was towards the back of the house we also had a nice view of Peg's beautiful garden. The next morning, we explored the garden & the rest of the house while she set-up the dining room table. At this time we also got to meet "Chili" - the sweet, cuddly, Henry Derby housecat. Breakfast was more than we could ask for. If you're expecting a first-class omelet & pancake buffet you should probably see yourself to the nearest restaurant. However, if what you want is a nice light meal to kick-start to your day, while meeting new people & listening to Peg's fantastic stories, then this is the place to be. The food consisted of cereal, fruit, coffee, and either bagels, toast, or English muffins. Peg was also great at suggesting places we should visit & gave us very easy-to-follow directions to places. After breakfast, I was energized & ready to hit to road. The B&B is actually located very conveniently. There was no need to touch the car once we had parked it upon arrival until we checked out on our last day. Most of the sites in Salem were walking distance from the B&B. I truly enjoyed the town of Salem very much, but I am really glad that we decided to stay at the Henry Derby house, as this was definitely a very big part of our experience. Through-out such a short weekend, Peg really managed to make us feel like part of the family in this beautiful cozy little home. I would definitely suggest this place to a friend & whenever I do return to Salem the Henry Derby House will be my first choice.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Dargie30
Hamilton, Canada
“Nice Little B&B”
Reviewed 5 March 2009 for a stay in July 2008

My aunt and I travelled together and this was the 1st B&B either of us had stayed at. If you love old homes with a lot of characer, this is your place! The gardens were beautiful and there was even a housecat to keep you company :) Despite the fact that Peg screwed up our reservations, she asked if we would like to stay in the Yellow Room for one evening or she would pay for other accomodations. We were lead to believe that the bathroom was down the hall, not on a separate floor. Inconvenient, as you have to dress everytime you need to "go", and other guests use it during breakfast. We had also asked if there were hair dryers in the room, and left ours home when we were told there were. I refused to ask once I got there, feeling that they should have been there. Maybe that's just me...
The note on the front door is true. The owner, Peg, lives right next door and is usually right there if you need something. Our flight landed late and we were told not to come into the house after 11 p.m. - a little irritating seeing as we were both grown adults and she lived next door! Nonetheless, breakfast was simple yet inviting. Peg sat with us for the 3 days we stayed there and told all sorts of interesting stories. Peg is great at giving directions and telling you where the local attractions are. All in all it was a quaint little B&B, and my aunt absolutely adored it!
There was only thing that really pissed me of was once I got home. An email from Peg thanking us for visiting. What made me so mad was that she called me by another guests name, the one who she had given our room to, after I had sat and chatted with her for a few hours for 3 days.

Travelling group: Friends
9 Apr 2009
I am so glad that there were parts of your stay at the Henry Derby House that you enjoyed.

I would just like to let the readers of Henry Derby House reviews aware of a few protocols.

1. When we rent rooms our guests decide if they would like a shared or private bath. This is not information that we make decisions on.
2. Irons and blow dryers are in the cleaning closet with many other supplies and are given to the guests upon request.
3. Once you have arrived and have gotten your keys you are more than welcome to come and go as you please - 24 hours a day.
If you are checking in late we make arrangements for a Late Check- In. I may not be at the door to personally check you in. But we always have the late check in policy and you can arrive whenever your plans dictate.

Upon checking in at the Henry Derby House – I always tell my guests to call me day or night, if they have any problems at all. I can not alleviate a problem if I do not know one exists. I sincerely hope this will help any future guests at the Henry Derby House be happy and comfortable.
Peg Camarda
FloraMCV
ireland
“A quaint B+B”
Reviewed 23 October 2008 for a stay in June 2006

I stayed in this charming B+B for a few nights a couple of years ago. It certainly made an impression.
On the positive side the building had bags of character, it was nice to stay in accomodation that is old by american standards.
The breakfast was nice and while it was interesting to dine with the inn keeper and another guest that was staying there, I really would prefer to breakfast alone with my travel companion.

The stay would have been perfect but for two important issues: the beds were small and hard and the bathroom was on the ground floor while our bedroom was on the first floor. This I found to be unacceptable, not only was the bathroom on a different floor but it was accessed through the dining room. The dining room was used to run the owners ebay store and was populated from time to time by the owners staff working away on computers.

Check-in / front desk Service
Liked best: character and charm of the building
Liked least: no ensuite
Visit was for: Hobbies / interest / culture
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
28 Oct 2008
Thank you so much for sending a review.

Thank you also for appreciating the character of the bed and breakfast and our expanded continental breakfast.

If you, or any future guests would prefer to dine alone, just mention that you would like to dine alone and we will surely accomodate.

There is also very good news for our future guests. We have brand new beds in our Yellow Room. We always mention when the Yellow Room has to use the first floor bath before people book with us, letting our prospective guests know far ahead of time that the bathroom is Private to the guests in the Yellow Room, but is down one floor from where the Yellow Room is.

In regards to our eBay Store - it now has it's own room. We no longer use our dining room table for packaging up our sales to ship. The pack and ship room is nowhere near the common areas or bedrooms of the bed and breakfast. There are no computers in the dining room or sitting room.

Once again, I always tell my guests - "We always aim to please at the Henry Derby House. Please, please, please, let us know if there is anything that you are unhappy with - while you are staying with us - and we will try as hard as we can to make your stay a pleasant and memorable one."

Thanks again to dorane for sharing with Tripadvisor.

Peg at the Henry Derby House
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$500
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing