“Honeymoon @ FAB Henry Derby!!!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
doylelucy...
new york
“Honeymoon @ FAB Henry Derby!!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2012 for a stay in October 2012

We just stayed at henry derby 2 weeks ago.. What a pleasure!!! first off.. If your looking for a commercial hotel this is NOT it.. This is a charming Bed & Breakfast with the most warmest people running this place.. Its very clean!located in walking distance to EVERYTHING!!!left my car there and plenty of spaces to park very safe neigborhood..very relaxing had hot apple cider everynight sat in the diningroom after a long day exploring salem.. stayed for 3 nights and hated having to leave!we had great conversations with cindy and jocelyn and of course lisa..Breafast was prepared very elegant! and we soooo loved it we are definatley coming back next october!!!

23 Oct 2012
Thank you for the great review! We do hope to see you next year. Boogie will be here, no doubt!

Love from

The Henry Derby House crew...
tallgilli...
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 30 September 2012 for a stay in September 2012
people found this review helpful

We stayed at the Henry Derby House in September 2012. What was supposed to be one of the highlights of the trip was the most disppointing. We had specifically said we needed space to leave our car during the day when visiting Salem and were assured that we would. We also asked in advance about catering for wheat sensitivity and were assured that this would easily be done. On arrival there was a notice on the door to call a certain number if there was no answer at the door . . . a presumption that everyone has a cell phone and does not pay for roaming charges. We were told to park in the street whereever we could find a spot as the town had recently changed some local streets to resident parking only. Needless to say the streets are packed. The owners daughter was parked on the driveway taking up two spaces and the car couldnt be moved up to make room for ours even when were unpacking. Eventually the gardner was asked to move and we took his spot on the street but even so the parking was not stricyly legal being too close to the corner.
We ran out of toilet paper in the middle of the night. There was nowhere to hang any clothes. A fuse was blown and there were no flashlights to be used. It was noisy and could hear other visitors. No coffee was available to 9am when breakfast was served and there was no flexibility in the time for breakfast. The breakfast was very ordinary - cereals and fruit. Luckily they managed to find some gluten free cereal but they certainly had not planned on having this as requested. We definitely got the feeling that the owners are in this business for the money and not for the pleasure of meeting new visitors. In all fairness the owner had just passed away and the sympathy cards were still on the mantel piece but this was the worst of over 70 B & B.s I have ever stayed and would not recommend it to anyone. I found their attitude was very unhelful.

Travelling group: Friends
6 Oct 2012
Thank you for the feedback on your stay. Indeed the owner of The Henry Derby House, my mother, passed away the week before your stay. During this difficult time we have chosen to remain open to honor the reservations of our guests. The new owners, Philip Marchand and Jocelyn Croke, will be in place starting November 1st and I am sure they will address any issues you may have had.

On a personal note, since I was the one managing the B&B during your stay, I want to comment that I feel sorry you found me "unhelpful." I personally shopped for every gluten free option our grocery store had to offer, personal made arrangements for you to have the closest parking spot to the house, and was the one who you went to when the fuse blew and had it instantly repaired. If you know of any ways I could have been more efficient in your requests please, email me personally, as I would love to know.

Lisa Marchand
Interim Manager at The Henry Derby House
happytrav...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed 22 August 2012 for a stay in August 2012
people found this review helpful

We got off to a pretty rough start checking in at the Henry Derby
House, and things did not improve while we stayed there. We walked
over from the Salem train station with all of our suitcases, tried
ringing the bell and calling the phone number, but there was no
answer. We ended up sitting on the front steps with all of our stuff
for about half an hour in the hot sun. I actually banged on the front
door until someone answered. It turns out our hostess was taking a
nap, and none of the doorbells to the place even work - what a
welcome!

We stayed in the mauve room, which was basically one half of an
adjoining room with absolutely no privacy. We heard every single
sound from our neighbors in the other half of the room –
conversations, cell phones ringing, bed squeaks, and the entire
Saturday Night Live monologue. I actually walked over to the
adjoining door and asked them to turn off their television - we had a
full conversation through the adjoining door without raising our
voices at all. The mauve room was supposed to have a private
bathroom, but it turns out the private bathroom was located down the
hall. We had to cross over the main staircase to reach it. There is
also absolutely nothing provided in the bathroom – you are expected to
bring all of your own toiletries. We asked the morning hostess (more
about her in the paragraph below) for some shampoo, and she informed
us that nothing is provided in the bathrooms and we should have
brought our own shampoo (??!?!?) My husband was getting ready to go
to the 7-11 and buy shampoo when another member of the staff somewhat
grudgingly gave us some old shampoo. There is also no air
conditioning in the bathroom – our room only had a loud window unit
and the bathroom had nothing.

The breakfast consists of big serving bowls of plain cereal, pitchers
of milk that have been left out for several hours, and a morning
hostess with an attitude more sour/spoiled than the milk. Her
behavior was truly the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back
and convinced me to go online and discourage other people from staying
here. It was such a lousy way to start the day that we actually paid
for our own breakfast at a nearby café for two of the days we were
there instead of the breakfast that was supposed to be included in our
room rate. We were very disappointed in the experience and will not return.

24 Aug 2012
Thank you for the helpful feedback on your stay. Again, as I expressed in my personal email to you, I am sorry that you did not have a good experience while staying at The Henry Derby House, and I wish you happy traveling in the future.

As I also mentioned in my email to you, but will repeat hear, there are a couple things I would like to comment on.

I am sorry that you had to wait a few minutes for someone to let you in the house for check-in. Since we offer a flexible 24-hour check in time sometimes it may take a few minutes for someone to come to the door. Places that offer specific check in hours in a short window of time like from 4-7 don't have this problem. But we offer guests the convenience of coming anytime, like early afternoon as you did, even if the rooms aren't ready.

As far as the private bath for the mauve room, it is true that the bathroom is down the hall, but it is a completely private hallway that no other guests use and you should have been told that at check in. Sorry if that wasn't the case. The mauve room is adjacent to another guest room, and I did hear that the noise from their TV bothered you. I am glad that you took the initiative to confront them about it yourself and that they shut it off. They were extremely apologetic the following morning at breakfast for the brief time that their noise disturbed you.

It is true that we do not provide shampoo or conditioner in rooms, but I am glad that
Cindy, the housekeeper, delivered you these things upon request despite the fact that we don't provide them. We do, however, provide organic soap and body wash in all of our rooms.

Since I do the shopping for breakfast, I can tell you that while you were staying here the breakfast options in addition to cereal and (fresh) milk were english muffins, bagels, coffee cake, raspberry danish, cheese filled crumb cake, cinnamon rolls, blueberry muffins, french toast bread, and gluten free options, as well as grapes, bananas, strawberries, cherries, blueberries, clementines, and kiwis, coffee, tea and orange juice. This is typical for our expanded continental breakfast. We also satisfy requests from guests that have food allergies or prefer vegetarian or organic options. Had you had come down to the breakfast table and interacted with our hostess you would have been made aware of these options. We don't leave the food out but actually list off from a menu for the very purpose of keeping everything fresh and refrigerated, opposed to a buffet type setting.

I do apologize again for any unpleasantness during your stay.

Lisa Marchand
Manager, The Henry Derby House
Gail58SLP
Vancouver, Washington
“Definitely a great stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2012 for a stay in June 2012

We stayed at the Henry Derby House in June. We loved it. The B and B consists of two neighboring homes. We were upgraded to the suite which was not in the main building. It was very quiet and we entered through a lush garden. There was outdoor seating in the garden available. The suite was lovely. It had a full kitchen, lovely sitting room, private bath and comfortable bedroom. It was great! There was a market 2 blocks away, and although we did eat out and enjoyed the restaurants some in Salem, we also opted to cook and eat in two evenings. The proximity of the inn was perfect. Just blocks away from the pedestrian mall, the center of town and within walking distance to the wharf. Also we were just a block or two from Chestnut St where all the mansions are. Salem's location is terrific. So close to Boston and to the coast. We drove up one afternoon to Ipswich and Gloucester. Great seafood!!
There was quite a heat wave while we were there and we were grateful that the suite was well air conditioned. Our hosts were very nice. Very personable and helpful. The breakfast was fresh and satisfying. All in all a wonderful experience.

Travelling group: Friends
Alissa D
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Loved everything about it!”
Reviewed 22 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Henry Derby House on out honeymoon. We loved it. The room (the entire house really) was beautiful. The staff was super nice. They were all warm and inviting. The owner (Peg) sat at us at breakfast just about every day and was extremely helpful. She pointed out good attractions to see, great places to eat and the best routes through the city. The house is within walking distance of most of the attractions and restaurants, bonus to people like us who prefer to walk. If we ever go back to Salem we would without a doubt stay at the Henry Derby House again.

Travelling group: Couples
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$500
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing