“Excellent Sandwiches”
Review of Cheese and Coffee

Cheese and Coffee
Ranked #395 of 1 868 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This locally owned sandwich shop has two locations in town; one off Central near Old Town and one in the northeast heights near Coronado mall. The menu is the same in both locations. They specialize in home-made sandwiches but also have salads and soups. We’ve tried several sandwiches; the Reuben and the New Yorker are good but the Chelsea is a favorite. The green chile chicken soup is very good too. The apple waldorf salad makes a terrific side dish to the sandwiches as well. Décor in both places is a bit on the rustic, down-home style. Service is usually pretty good. Indoor seating only, but they do a brisk carry-out business. Great choice for a light lunch.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had driven by Cheese and Coffee a few times so we decided to stop in for a late lunch on a weekday. It is located in a strip mall across from the Sheraton Uptown hotel. It had been reviewed by the food editor of the Albuquerque Journal and given 4 stars.
The interior was definitely a step back into the 70s. The tiled floor was sticky as we walked to our table. The noon rush was over and about 6 tables were available.
According to the reviews, soup was their specialty especially the chili chicken which was reviewed as mild to medium heat. My wife ordered the tomato basil soup with a half tuna salad; I ordered the lox with cream cheese on a bagel.
Our soup and sandwiches arrived in less than 10 minutes. While the sandwiches were excellent, the soups were inedible. The tomato basil soup was overwhelmed with pepper and the chili chicken soup was over medium hot with chilies. We left both cups of soup on the table.
We will not be returning to the Cheese and Coffee anytime soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

I usually get the Chelsea, but I've always had a great sandwich no matter what I ordered. The mushroom soup is terrific, and the other soups are pretty darn good too!

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

You have got to try the Chelsea, it is my absolute favorite! If you are in the mood for a green chile, cheese, and turkey sandwich then this one is hard to beat! It comes with chips, soup, or a variety of fresh and flavorful salads. Their green chile stew is also amazing.
The service here is also great.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Been here many times! Tried again today with a friend. She had the Rueben and I had the Bavarian...both highly recommended with a greek salad side....lots of side choices! Server remembered me from 6 months ago!