“Wonderful natural ecosystem”

and up
Mindo's Cable Car and Waterfall Sanctuary
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Mindo
Reviewed 3 July 2018

We rode the Tarabita over the cloud forest reserve and walked to the first two of the waterfalls before heavy rain that made the trail slippery forced us to turn around. It is a beautiful part of Ecuador, definitely worth visiting.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"falls"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Coffee Tree Spa and had the front desk secure us a round trip taxi and also purchase in advance the entrance ticket. Once we arrived on top of the mountain we knew it was a good idea to do the round trip taxi booking. Highly suggest others do the same.

The short cable car ride was fantastic! We had seen before hand on a TV travel channel the cable car setup so we knew what to expect. An under-hung open air basket on cable that spans between two mountains. The ground below is about 150 M / 492 ft. The view has to be fantastic on a clear bright sunny blue sky day. The day we went it was intermittent showers, however we still enjoyed the Cloud Forest adventure. Always go prepared for some type of rain in the Reserve.

We created a short video of our Ecuador leg of a recent South American trip for our friends and family to enjoy. Many of the family will never travel to South America and our posted videos helps them to enjoy everything we've seen and done. Search YouTube TSSLKJK if you want to gain more insight before your trip and adventure to the Cloud Forest.

2  Thank Joeipad25
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

We rode the cable car over the canopy then hiked to Nambillo Falls. The trail is uneven, had lots of stairs and is sometimes a bit muddy. Hiking sticks were helpful. This is not a good trail for those with really bad knees or other mobility issues. It is very humid. Take plenty of water. Wear insect repellent. It was a good 40 minute circuit to Nambillo Falls. I’m told it takes over two hours if you visit all the falls. We didn’t see toucans but I talked to someone who did.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

We booked this private tour the day before. Our hotel offered a tour to Mindo, but we wanted more control over the itinerary and didn't want to potentially be stuck in a large group. Plus, we wanted to do more than just drive by and see things. Richard is a certified naturalist and speaks English and Spanish. Since we didn't really plan on this trip in advance, we had several questions for Richard prior to finally deciding to book the tour. Richard always responded quickly to our emails and provided us with all needed information about the tour. He arrived at our hotel right on time, and demonstrated his extensive knowledge of Ecuador's flora and fauna immediately. We learned so much while visiting an orchid preserve, a hummingbird paradise, and a butterfly farm. We also opted to include the cable car ride, which was brief and fun. We wrapped up our day with lunch in Mindo town at a local establishment. Though Richard offered to take us to the Inty Nan museum (the equator museum), we opted to pass on that option. Richard checked in with us regularly and asked us what we were enjoying more/ less etc and based on our answers he told us about Antisana. Although it was not his intention, and not very convenient for him on such short notice, we were so intrigued by Antisana that we asked him if he could take us out to Antisana the next day. Richard made some arrangements to take us to Antisana the following day. We spent two great days with Richard seeing two very different parts of the Ecuadorian ecosystem. He sincerely strives to provide a quality experience for his clients. If you are looking for an experienced, reliable guide who will help you learn about and fully appreciate the natural beauty of Ecuador, from birds, and butterfly's to plants and frogs, we highly recommend both the Mindo forest and Antisana ecological reserve with Richard Herdandez.

2  Thank Heather F
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 January 2018

To describe just how incredible mindo is, is really hard. I have been to many parts of the amazon rainforest and never saw half as much wildlife and fauna as I did in mindo. If you are a nature lover then you must go here.

I saw species of orchid I am never likely to see again, wild toucan in their natural habitat, one of the most endangered tree frog species in the world but most of all the local people are of really beautiful nature too. They are so proud and so helpful. I sadly told my purse in Mindo containing all of my money and credit cards and a local person found it and tracked me down to give it back. I was travelling alone through Ecuador and I was made to feel extremely safe and loved in this area.

Just so beautiful a total trip of a life time. I think this is my most favourite place I have ever visited in my whole life.

1  Thank Alison M