“Fabulous Portuguese home cooking ”

Churrascaria Novo Mundo
Ranked #15 of 262 Restaurants in New Bedford
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic food great price. Love it. Will come back, small hole in the wall but wonderful and staff was kind. Rotisserie chicken was exceptional

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Found Churrascaria Novo Mundo in looking for local flavor lunch on the way to the Whaling Museum. The website looked very professional and pictures of the rotisserie chickens were mouth watering. When we got to the restaurant, I was a little put off by the look of the outside. Looked maybe too local to be accepting of first timers. My companion convinced me to go on in and I couldn't have been more pleased.
Maybe 10 tables so I could see that during peak hours that there would be a wait. We were immediately seated across from the open kitchen where chefs/cooks were working away at the meals to order and the (awesome) chicken. The waitstaff was very friendly and when we told them we were first timers, they suggested the 1/2 chicken dinner with fries and rice pilaf. We were not disappointed. The chicken could not have been more flavorful and moist - and we added on some hot sauce for more flavor. We hardly spoke to one another until the chicken was devoured. Glad that we saved room for dessert - a very generous slice of what certainly was home made flan. Just the right mix of eggy custard and sweet syrup. So yummy! Can't wait to go back and try the Portuguese steak items next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

Best Grilled chicken. Featured on Cooking Channel's show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate".
Mozambique Shrimp-so good. The staff makes you feel that you are being served in their home. You frequently see your friends eating there again. Their grilled chicken can not be found any other place.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

We learned about this place on Food Network's Best Things I Ever Ate so we stopped for Sunday dinner during our Columbus Day weekend to New Bedford. When we arrived, the restaurant was full of local diners. We waited about 15 minutes for a group to leave and the staff to push two tables together for our group of 5.

I had the only appetizer, the little necks portugese style. I was told they only had 9 clams left and would it be ok to use some shrimp to supplement. I agreed and when the dish arrived I had my 9 clams and what seemed like a boatload of shrimp. Seafood cooked excellently with a super tasty broth. Four of us had Kale soup and were generally disappointed. The broth was bland and it lacked any sausage.

I ordered the whole barbecued chicken to split with my son and my wife had half a chicken. Delicious as advertised with some to take home. Our friends had Azorean style sirloin steak and fish and chips and both raved about their food.

All in all, a great local place with excellent food. Service was somewhat sporadic but the one waitress had several large parties to take care of. We would visit again if we return to New Bedford.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Not only is the chicken out of this world but the Portuguese Dobrada is the best you'll ever have!(every Tuesday). I travel quite a bit and this small restaurant is a must visit!