“9 surprises for my palate ”

Restaurant James Sommerin
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Penarth
Price range: US$35 - US$118
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to restaurant james sommerin with rooms james and louise would like to welcome you to their first restaurant, "restaurant james sommerin with rooms" situated on the esplanade in penarth. The restaurant has the luxury of having panoramic views over the severn estuary which sets the scene for a very relaxing dining experience. "we aim to create a dining experience our guests will not forget"
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Booked here for an Easter treat. Went for the surprise taster menu and each dish was a delightful experience.
The service was great as expected and I really like how on some courses the chefs including James , serve the dishes they’ve made.
Can’t wait for next time.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had Easter Sunday lunch , we’ve been several times and this time went for the A La Carte and not the taster menu . We both had the pigeon to start, it was incredible , cooked to perfection with a black pudding pate and beetroot , just amazing . My wife had the monkfish and I had sea bass , the monkfish was amazing , cooked perfectly and the “ curry “
Sauce accompaniment was so beautifully done , hint of heat and spice that didn’t detract from the fish . The sea bass was probably the best sea bass dish I’ve had , it was served with a ginger and langoustine broth that was just incredible . We decided to have a dessert and we went for the soufflés , difficult to describe how good they were , up there with the best soufflés I’ve had . Good service and nice wines , simply stunning

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We were really excited to try this restaurant but after leaving numerous message and emailing the restaurant we had no response. In the end the dates we had available ran out and the voucher expired. I did finally get an email back after for dates when we had told them we were not available As I had made a point of noting that we had a Travelzoo voucher with an expiry date I can only assume that they are reluctant to honour them based on their behaviour. Luckily Travelzoo provided a full refund, based on the speed of the refund I wonder if this is not an isolated incident with this restaurant.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Was taken for my 40th birthday and had the 9 course taster with the paired wine. Every course was exceptional and the explanations of the each of the wines was really helpful and interesting. The service was attentive but not overpowering. I was really impressed with the laid back ambience in the restaurant that was full but the generous space between tables means that you don’t feel crammed in. Very well thought out layout, lighting and music. A really memorable, special evening. Don’t make any plans for after though as you are able to take your time and enjoy every part of the meal. We sat at 8.30 and finished eating at 1am! Will definitely be back! 10/10!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Booked in for Lunch this week. Not disappointed. We decided to opt for the a la carry menu. I chose the Pea Gbm which tastes like a very sophisticated pea soup but so much more - delicious My husband had the lobster which was finished with a lobster bisque. For mains I had the monkfish with a mild curry sauce and my husband had the lamb which he said was very tender. I was the only one to have a sweet which was James take on a rhubarb crumble it’s different as it was served in a while chocolate dome with a sorbet! Lovely lunch good surroundings attentive staff and well worth a visit.