“Better places to eat without the fuss or expense”
Review of Pier 64

Pier 64
Ranked #6 of 74 Restaurants in Penarth
Price range: US$17 - US$70
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ate there today for lunch. Parking was fine as there is a massive empty carpark opposite and booked two hours for £2.00. The setting is pleasant enough, a busy place with about 50 covers seated and two serving, one on the bar. The menus are quite fussy with a specials menu each n an A La Carte a drinks menu and wine. The special menu is possibly a lot better value at £17 for steak, chips starter etc. I think its possible to get two entirely different experiences at the same restaurant at the same time. Staff were pleasant but service painfully slow. So slow I was thinking of going back and extending the parking and in the end we skipped deserts because of this. Reading the other reviews this is more of a restaurant characteristic rather than a one day problem, one that the owner or manager never intends to fix.
Menu
The A La Carte menu is mainly a few sea food dishes and steak.
The scallops I had were pretty nice. Welll seasoned.
I went for the fillet with Bearnaise sause. It was ok. The steak looked very lonely on a large plate with 4 oven roasted mini tomatoes until I added some chips which weren't the best and a cold pot of Bearnaise sauce.
We just laughed off the experience that took close to two hours and cost a almost £150 for lunch. I wouldn't have left a tip. I don't tip a server that takes almost 30 minutes to bring a initial drink, but a service charge was added without my permission.
I wont be back

1  Thank Swss
Philippa H, Guest Relations Manager at Pier 64, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Swss,

Many thanks for your feedback following your visit to Pier 64. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us and would appreciate it if you could email me directly with the date and time of your visit as well as some brief comments - philippa@pier64.co.uk - so that I can investigate further.

Although we cannot make excuses for the speed of service, it is entirely possible that we were short staffed on the day of your visit for the volume of customers we had dining. As stated on our Menus, our service charge is discretionary and would have been removed at your request. We do also firmly believe that our prices reflect the high quality of our produce and our location.

Again, I can only apologise for the issues you encountered during your visit and please be assured that we do take on board all feedback we receive with regards to food & service. I hope to hear from you.

With kindest regards

The Pier 64 Team

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly waited 28 minutes for a drink after seating we were served white and red wine in the same glasses. Now if I’m paying £17 a glass I’d liked it served according. My table was wobbly and facing a brick wall. My starter of cheese and bread was fine but an easy dish. My steak was well over cooked and not worth £30.
My side of potato was not gratinated more like mashed potato topped with cheese. My garlic butter sauce was not sauce at all but a liquid with a few bits of grated garlic and herbs in. The béarnaise sauce was cold. I didn’t want desert as service was so slow. The bill arrived with an automatic £14 tip added which I found completely inappropriate due to the terrible service. I’m not tight, I enjoy good food and will pay any price. But this place is taking the mick.

2  Thank Stephanie W

Dear Stephanie W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback following your visit to Pier 64.

I was extremely concerned to read your comments and would be grateful if you could email me directly with the date and time of your visit as well as some brief points so that we can investigate further - philippa@pier64.co.uk.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of Pier 64 that on this occasion the service, food & drink did not live up to our high standards.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

With kindest regards

Philippa @ Pier 64

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Managed to get in here on Sat as a last minute booking. Had the 6.00 pm slot and it was already very busy with an exciting atmosphere. We were met by a friendly manager and show the table. The service was very attentive and both starters and main course vey well presented and on time. We worded wine with the main and it also came on time and with a friendly smile. The rice pudding dessert was superb and the night a real success. Can wait to go again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We eat out quite a lot and to be perfectly honest this was one of the best meals we have had at a local restaurant. We had the prawn/crayfish cocktail to start with and while it was a large dish it did lack seasoning and was quite dry. Had steak to follow and was impressed with the cut of meat and how it was cooked. Would highly recommend this place. One point to note though is we went on a Monday night and I would imagine going at the weekend there may be parking problems as the car park is so small

1  Thank 927dave146
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had Sunday lunch here as a treat from our adult children. The traffic was really bad so my daughter was going to be late. The staff took it in their stride and we felt like it did not matter at all. Food was very nice indeed. I had white bait, which was delightful, followed by roast Lamb and cream brulee. Staff were extremely polite and friendly.