“Another year, another magical experience”
other travellers have booked this property
Welcome to picturesque Hafod y Rhedrwydd, in beautiful Snowdonia
The cosy, characterful living room A lovely oil fired stove, perfect for winter evenings
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Welcome to picturesque Hafod y Rhedrwydd, in beautiful Snowdonia
The cosy, characterful living room
A lovely oil fired stove, perfect for winter evenings
Light, bright and inviting farmhouse-style kitchen
Stunning Stanley oil fired range cooker
Nice little touches
Looking out over old ruins at the stunning Snowdonia countryside
The family bathroom, on the ground floor, with bath, toilet and wash basin
Bedroom 1, a characterful room, with a double bed
The remote cottage benefits from truly stunning views
Bedroom 2, another lovely room, also with a double bed
Nicely presented
Bedroom 3, which contains a single bed
A nice view of the stream that flows past the cottage
Hafod is a beautiful Welsh cottage!
A traditional, detached cottage
A stunning and peaceful location
The cottage sits in the Snowdonia National Park
Hafod is one of the highest cottages in Wales
The rural garden provides total peace and tranquillity
Snowdonia is a beautiful place for walking and relaxing
Friendly sheep are the only neighbours!
Lovely flowers in the garden
The cottage is accessed by an old footbridge
Hafod is the perfect countryside retreat
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 7 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
NoctigonM...
“Another year, another magical experience”
Reviewed 27 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018
person found this review helpful

If you see my below review from 2017 you'll see just how magical the experience was last year. We decided we'd come again this year and it was even better than last - this was mainly due to the weather being so insanely hot. A single fluffy cloud set among a thoroughly clear blue sky.

I highly recommend taking a hike across the back of the property towards the water fall. You get amazing views up high. If you want to go for a hike across the other side of the road then you may need wellies as even if the sun is up high the moss traps the moisture so well that you will get your shoes wet, but it is worth it.

The property was simply magical again. We had a raven that was tapping the window in the morning, and a sheep that got trapped on the grounds that I needed to chase out. It all added to the quirkiness of it all.

This place is a gem with fantastic owners. I look forward to our future visits.

Management Response
30 May 2018
Thank you for your wonderful review of Hafod y Rhedrwydd, we're so pleased to hear that your second trip was just as magical as your first stay! We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!
Compass36...
“Wonderful cottage, remote and full of character, perfect for what we wanted”
Reviewed 18 February 2018 for a stay in September 2017

My wife and I stayed at Hafod y Rhedrwydd in the autumn of 2017. It's a wonderful place exactly what we were looking for. It's remote but full of character, it's remoteness is fantastic for walking and generally getting away from everything for a weekend or longer, although supplies are only half an hour drive away in Bala. There is also a pub in Cwm Penmachno which is easily walked or ten minutes by car.
The facilities and furnishings in the cottage are nice, clean and in keeping, the oil fired stove and fire in the lounge are great and easy to use. For those really wet days there is a satellite TV and Wi-Fi internet also by satellite.
Some previous reviewers have complained about having to mess with the oil and petrol generator for electricity. We had no problems, the owners instructions are plentiful and comprehensive, everything worked perfectly. On occasions we needed to juggle some of the electrical appliances so as not to overload the generator but I seem to recall the owners are planning to install a larger generator in 2018. All these things add to the character of the cottage, we enjoyed every minute we spent there.
Unfortunately our stay was cut short and we had to return home due to family illness but we aim to go back there as soon as we can.

Your age range 50-64
Management Response
27 Feb 2018
Thank you for your wonderful review of Hafod y Rhedrwydd, we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!
Christoph...
London, United Kingdom
“Mr”
Reviewed 7 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

The cottage is well appointed and certainly away from it all with lovely views over the surrounding mountains. The owners were very helpful which was appreciated.

Max R
London, United Kingdom
“One of the highest, most remote, and most spectacularly located cottages Wales has to offer!”
Reviewed 17 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

My wife and I booked in to Hafod y Rhedrwydd for 5 days and had such an amazing time. The cottage is one of the highest, most remote, and most spectacularly located cottages in Wales. The views are simply stunning! We did have exceptional luck with the weather too though, which remained sunny all week!
The cottage itself has everything you need to comfortably cook and entertain yourself after a long day's exploration in the National Park. Just remember that the generator powering the cottage's electricity runs on petrol and can burn through it relatively quickly. that said, when on, the mod-cons including the Wifi worked a treat, making it easy to research the following days walks and activities online and if you have Wifi Calling capability on your mobile, it also means you can easily make and receive calls from there. Useful, as this is otherwise not possible as there is no network coverage at all in the area.
As remote as you are, you are only ever 20-40 mins drive away from amazing places to eat, bike ride, buy souvenirs, learn to surf, kayak on lakes beneath Snowdon, or climb Snowdon itself.
I thoroughly recommend staying here and will definitely be returning again in the future.

Your age range 35-49
NoctigonM...
“We are still in awe of our experience at this cottage - without question we will be making efforts to return.”
Reviewed 14 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

Our party of 4 girls and one guy (me) were looking to take advantage of the bank May bank holiday weekend (4 days, 3 nights). Having done camping at many of the camp sites in Wales in the past we decided that a cottage would be a suitable upgrade - a real treat for me as I wish for the day I can have my own a cottage in the hills. Upon searching online my girlfriend had stumbled upon Hafod Y Rhedrwydd. It took little to convince the rest of the party that we had to have this for the bank holiday weekend. Much to my surprise I could see that there was availability, so without even taking payment from the rest of the party I pulled out the plastic and booked it there and then. The following two months until the booking were a long wait, however, during this time some of the others had noted that reviews were few and it was only a couple of weeks before our stay that fellow TripAdvisor user spaceibiza had left quite a scathing review of the cottage and its owners. Had we made the right decision to book Hafod Y Rhedrwydd? Oh yes...yes we had.

Upon booking the property we'd received further instructions on how to locate the cottage and also information on paying the fuel deposit. I was also introduced to one of the owners via email, who I will say is a thoroughly pleasant individual with lot of patience for people (I apologise for keeping you up at 11pm while you assisted us with locating your cottage). We sent the £100 fuel deposit and waited for the day of our arrival.

We had travelled several hundred miles from London and the journey took us maybe 7 or so hours. It was dark by the time we got there. As you may know, in the country there is no lighting and the majority of small roads are without catseyes. We ended up taking a wrong turning up a bumpy hill that really tested my clutch control. Upon reaching the top we realised we were in the wrong location. I relented and, red-faced, I called the owner at 11pm who graciously helped us find the property. I actually hadn't realised that when the booking was made an extremely detailed itinerary with maps and pictures showing exactly how to locate Hafod was emailed to me.

We arrived at the cottage less than 15 minutes later by travelling along a single track but well-built road, and what a sight the cottage was to behold. We parked up, lit the cottage up with out torches, and couldn't believe how picturesque it was. We also noted that the only sounds were that of the stream that went through the front of the property and that of the odd grazing sheep. Talking about sheep - they are everywhere - you will tread in sheep dung and this is why it's absolutely necessary to not bring shoes into the house, so don't forget your slippers.

Back to the house. Upon entering the property we discovered that the oil fire was switched on which had warmed up the ground floor of the house beautifully (the top of the house was quite cold - stone walls don't insulate much - but by the second day the oil fire had managed to warm it up). There were two copies of the house book which provided detail instructions on the appliances and the generator, which I immediately set about starting. The interior of the property is tactfully done in order to preserve the dated feel of the property while also providing comfort and convenience. The beds and sheets were perfect - the owners really didn't scrimp on this. We had hot and cold running water, however, on our penultimate day we had lost all running water and it was determined that an air pocket had developed. We notified the owners and within 30 minutes they had provided me with extremely detailed instructions on how to sort it out, but I wasn't able to do it myself as I was out with my party so they had maintenance come out and solve it by the time we got back, plus they had provided us with a dozen gallons of bottled water in case we needed. I was beyond impressed with all of this.

After a full night's sleep the next day was pleasantly sunny. The views from the cottage were breathtaking and you really get a sense of isolation as the cottage sits snugly among rolling hills with no sign of civilisation for several miles in any direction. Towards the back of the cottage there is a drop-off with a waterfall and cave. At night time and due to the location of the cottage there is little to no ambient lighting, so you get great views of the stars.

A quick note on the fuel deposit and petrol usage. The property has 3 units that consume some form of fuel. This is the petrol generator that supplies around 1600w of power to the house, the oil stove in the front room that keeps the place warm, and a Rayburn which is a cast iron cooker in the kitchen. The oil stove and rayburn are constantly on and both burn oil. The petrol generator obviously uses petrol. Before arrival a fuel deposit of £100 is taken, and when leaving the oil level is read to determine how much is used and a refund provided. Now, there was 5 of us in the cottage consuming fuel and the amount of fuel we used must have been fairly minimal as I found the amount we had spent in pounds sterling to be VERY reasonable. You'd have to had made a really good go at it to make a serious dent in the deposit.

In conclusion, it was one of the best experiences I've had in Wales thus far and we will definitely be looking to book it again. The owners are fantastic and extremely helpful, and I wish them every success with this cottage.

Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing