“Downward spiral of a good restaurant”
Review of Carolina House

Carolina House
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Kinderhook
Price range: US$12 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

A perfectly good restaurant that has gone downhill. Cold enchiladas, fajitas on a plate - no sizzling platter - barely warm with no seasonings. The tortillas usually come in a basket warm but here they were cold on the plate. Pinto beans, not seasoned, instead of the black beans in a sauce. The only redeeming part of the meal was the Spring rolls. What a shame.

Tammy C, Manager at Carolina House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

I am so sorry you feel that way. Our fajitas and enchiladas have never come on a sizzling platter or in a basket. This has not changed, nor gone downhill. We serve authentic Mexican on Thursdays, not Tex Mex. People who regularly come on Thursdays are aware of that and rave that they can get authentic without the spice. I personally like spicy, Tex mex and have frequented places that have sizzling platters, but we have never been that and don't claim to be. If that is not your personal preference either, I would suggest you come on a night other than Thursdays or stick to the regular menu other than ordering the specials. Spring rolls (also one of my favorites) is on the regular menu and nothing has changed. Hope that helps!

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

There is a fine line between colonial quaint and old and rundown. Here, while efforts are made to be the former, the latter prevails. Outside awnings are old and dirty, not a good sign. Food is reasonably priced, almost too inexpensive. But most of the patronsl are elderly, perhaps they prefer price over quality. Not this reviewer. Selection is adequate, preparation barely. Staff is exceedingly polite. Somewhat wasted given the rest of the experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

I’m actually sad to give this place a somewhat negative review, but I’ve been there a few times, it’s usually good but not this last time. Each meal was inconsistent my meal was actually pretty good I had a black bean burger. My husband ordered a wedge of iceberg- they were out! Seriously, it’s iceberg lettuce, go send someone to the grocery store and get a head of lettuce! Then he ordered fajitas, usually it comes on a sizzling skillet, with a plate full of sides and a covered dish of tortillas. Not this time! We’ve gone to diners and had it served this way. But tonight everything was on a sad white plate! So very sad.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. Our iceberg arrived looking not up to par and instead of serving it, we decided to cut it for the night. It is more difficult than you can imagine to send a staff member to the store once service has started. Our fajitas, however, have never come on a sizzling plate as done in Tex mex restaurants. This has not changed. Thursday night we offer authentic Mexican specials without the spice and flare. If that's not your preference, I would suggest sticking to the regular menu items on Thursdays or coming on a different night when we offer other specialty themes.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

For four years we and another couple have met here annually as it is about halfway between us. Staff has always been attentive, gracious and professional. Menu and specials offer a good range of choices including GF, reasonable portions, well prepared.

Tammy C, Manager at Carolina House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2017

Thank you!

Reviewed 20 December 2017

The food was great. I desired my favorite steak (filet mignon) and was not disappointed. I was surprised by the fast service. I felt my meal was a good price. There is a friendly atmosphere here. I would go back to this restaurant :)

Tammy C, Manager at Carolina House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Thank you!