All reviews mary rose overlooking the harbour wet room paul's island lovely hotel great position bus stop travel kettle quiet location fruit juice st paul s bay cold meats sea view room walk in shower cooked breakfast pool area is changed daily
Reviewed 12 November 2018 via mobile

What a little gem this hotel is..some rooms still being updated but all in all very comfortable..relaxing..pleasing to the eye and the location is just the best. I said to my husband who loves the sea..I can’t get you any closer than this because you actually right in the harbour ..beautiful. Staff very friendly and have got time for you..food was lovely..housekeeping bang on. Will defo be back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolAnnAstley
MaxG980, General Manager at Gillieru Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2018

Dear Carol Anne,

I thank you for your review which we really appreciate. I look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 12 November 2018

Booked through Mercury Holidays whilst looking for a single occupancy advertised deal. No single occupancy left for the dates I required, they said, therefore expectation of advert not achieved, well not for me anyway!!!
The agent very rightly offered another option stating The Gillieru Harbour Hotel is a 4 star hotel, this excited me as it overlooks St Pauls Bay, the agent issued me with price and I trusted his advice and the descriptive price which included return flights.
I enjoyed a day time arrival at the hotel but had to wait until 15.00hrs to get access to my room, this gave me time to have a good look around at the hotel facilities . I was issued with my room key just prior to 15.00hrs and went to my allocated room which was small and basic nowhere near to achieving 4 star status, the shower was leaking at the wall and the sliding door to the balcony was in need of maintenance and the toilet seat was broken which I managed to fix, the shower was repaired the next day,
I was on a half/board deal which included dinner and breakfast, dinner was served from 18.30hrs and I attended at the restaurant about that time. I was seated a presented with a table d' hote menu which resembled something from a holiday camp, lacked imagination or 4 star class and I believe had been running for many weeks in this format, very disappointing and my expectations for the week were now shattered. I did ask to look at the ala carte menu and found that the descriptions of the food were just phrased slightly differently, I expected more from a seafood restaurant in a 4 star hotel.
For the rest of the week the food and service was generally average except when I ordered salmon it was raw in the middle, only to be told "It is a little underdone" but I was on this occasion I was offered another meal choice which I declined.
I rate Malta as a superb holiday destination but be careful, 4 stars status is not always on the menu as advertised.

1  Thank Frank B

Dear Frank,

I really appreciate your review and I am sorry if you felt disappointed in any way. I am happy that the Maltese authority has awarded us a 4 star rating which we pride of. Just as a matter of fact we have already refurbished all the bathrooms in the hotel as well as one floor , the rest we will continue as from this January although the current ones are still in good shape , clean and well maintained. Please keep in mind that your booking was made for a single room.

Regarding the Gillieru restaurant again I am sorry that you were disappointed with the choice and I really wish to know which holiday camp offers a la carte to their guests including salmon which was served pink in the middle as it should be, some people expect food to be well done but unfortunately with delicate fish like salmon that would be a waste. Kindly also note that as you have booked on Half Board we do not offer the FULL a la carte menu and some items such as fillet , ribeye and fresh fish are available at a supplement.

We are also considering negotiation new rate structures with tour operators such as Mercury in order for us to be able to offer much more but at the moment with what is in place we are already doing our best to offer as much as possible.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

I have visited Gillieru yet again and it did not disappoint, the hotel is situated in St Bay/harbour in a quiet somewhat old fashioned town in Malta.
The hotel is quite large with over 70 rooms over 5 floors and yet seems to manage to maintain a personal feel.
The staff are very helpful and friendly particularly Marie Rose who has gone out of her way to accommodate requests.
The hotel is now undergoing refurbishment and has an improved dining area and restaurant as well as providing a lovely breakfast that you can eat overlooking the harbour and watching the activity of local fishermen and boats.
The views from the balconies must be of the best that can found on the island
St Paul’s Bay boasts plenty of good restaurants and has a few bars but it far from rowdy which suits us just fine. I would recommend.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
MaxG980, General Manager at Gillieru Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2018

Dear Mario,

Thank you for your lovely review, both myself and my team really appreciate your feedback.

We sincerely hope to hosting you again in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 9 November 2018

Went to the Gillieru in September this year, and was pleasantly surprised to see the changes that have been done in a year. The reception area, has lots more comfy,chairs to sit in. There is a lovely coffee shop which is open till late in the evening. The restaurant has be totally revamped. It’s light and airy and the views are stunning. The area outside the restaurant has also been revamped and have comfortable chairs. A lovely place to sit and see the sun setting.

Room tip: Corner rooms with sea view or full sea view. Rooms that overlooking the road are better if you are higher up.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank annie0042016
MaxG980, General Manager at Gillieru Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2018

Dear Annie,

I thank you for your comments and appreciate the fact that you liked our upgrades. More to come soon :)

I do hope to being able to hosting you again in the nesr future.

Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a relaxing week in a small hotel with all the required facilities. The Gillieru Harbour did not disappoint on any level. It sits in a splendid location next to a small harbour and St Paul’s Church. All that St Paul’s Bay and Bugibba Bay have to offer are within easy walking distance. The rooms are a good size and the sea/harbour view is worth paying extra to secure. We made use of the sun terrace/pool area on a couple of days which proved a lovely little sun trap to relax. The Cafe Carmelo, within the hotel, was also a welcome coffee stop late afternoon. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice between full English or continental. Our whole week was enhanced by the friendly and accommodating staff we encountered, from cleaners, through cafe/breakfast staff to the all important reception team. We would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel in the future. Thank you very much for a great holiday.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank redsgothenburg
Max G, General Manager at Gillieru Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2018

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review. Both myself and my team really appreciate your comments.